CFC TG1: Calling All Settler, Chieftain, and Warlord Players

Leave our warrior fortified to handle an oncoming attack.

The one problem I see with this is that both cities will be able to bombard the warrior. At the time I placed him there, he was in a great position to target units. I failed to consider the snafu he's currently in. My apologies.

Aldor's suggestion of moving the scout to the forest for a defensive position is a pretty good idea too.

My original intent was to keep the scout there up until the attack, so we could keep track of what was going on. I agree moving him out of combat, though I would keep him close by to watch areas that we don't have LOS in. One trick I've found that often works is placing my scout on lux resources, as the city tends to target them.

F
rom Metho's prior tips all level gains should be saved. After puppeting the city all units should heal up and defend against and exterminate remaining enemy units, before positioning for the attack on the next city.

Saving up promo's for insta-heals is definitely nice, but not required. If you strongly feel the need for a certain promo, or it looks like an insta-heal won't be needed, then go ahead. I've just found that insta-heals are very handy.

While I can agree on healing up for the next assault, try not to take too long. Just in case they make more units.

Also, please take several screenshots so that all the other players can see how our first war went. If you're able.

Edit: Play when you're ready, Centerfinger.

Good thinking on the warrior, will the western city be able to bombard over that mountain? I'm just not sure, but he is in a bit of a pickle.

Agree on not taking to long to heal, I will just have to evaluate the damage from the enemy unit onslaught.

What is our current research goal?

Is the plan of attack for the 2nd city from the south?

I will check back in throughout the day and take my turn tonight, I will take lots of screens.

Ok, I think the best way to handle this is to write out the details followed by all the screens. I lost details of my notes as to which turns did what once I started healing and shuffling, but the first 3 turns of the initial war are detailed.

t-70
- start worker on incense plantation
- rome finishes monument
- started stonehenge (17 turns, unlikely, but worth a shot)
- wage war
- southern horse takes out warrior, takes 1 dmg retreats out of bombardment range
- general horse attacks city takes 2 dmg, retreats back to general
- north horse attacks city takes 2 dmg, retreats
- moved scout to forest
- left warrior in place as it was a minor defeat either other warrior he attacked

t-71
- warrior takes shots from both chariot archers, overall 5 dmg
- scout gets hit from warrior takes 4 dmg
- antium bombs warrior with full strength, warrior comes down from the north and takes him out
- scout fortifies
- horse w/ general takes Sukhotha, we get 106g, and we puppet city
- south horse takes out chariot archer
- north horse moves into border since he couldn't attack anyone
- moved great gen into city to assist with healing

T-72
- siam moves troops around
- warrior takes another bonbardment
- Rome and Antium bombard enemy warriors
- Antium finishes 4th horsemen and he heads up north to wipe out warrior
- our wounded warrior moves towards sukhotai to heal up
- southern horse attacks stragling warrior but doesnt finish him off
- start production of worker in Antium (could have went with char. archer, but figured we would need the 2nd worker with the new land)

T-73
- bronze working completes, started iron working (figured since we were going military)

T-74
-horsey takes out southern warrior
- scout takes a bombardment, gains level

- most well fed people list comes out and we are #4

- Siam offers peace, and I tell him to bugger off

- Worker finishes incense plantation

next batch of turns consists of moving horses into position for southern attack on the other Siam city and healing

Passing the turn set over on turn 78 so the next inline can wipe out siam.

Here are the screens.
Spoiler :

Attachments

• Augustus Caesar_0078 BC-0925.Civ5Save
    550.3 KB · Views: 258
lurker's comment:

Heh, that first picture of siam looks like the road is actually a lightsaber replacement for an arm, and Rahk is punching something with it.

Good job, Centerfinger! I hope you enjoyed it. Thanks for letting the next player get a little warmongering in.

I wouldn't have gone with Stonehenge, especially when you consider were going to invade Germany next. Granted, so long as we don't lose one of our horses, our army is plenty big enough. Sorry I screwed you over with our warrior. I doubt we'll get Stonehenge, but since we've started, let's give it our best shot. I haven't looked at the save yet, but we need to consider how best to MM Rome to speed up Stonehenge.

I assume after we've defeated Siam, you all wish to continue on against Germany? What about tech paths, or any other future plans? I'll look at the save tomorrow afternoon.

Current Roster:
  • Methos
  • Centerfinger - Captured Sukhothai
  • Aldor - Up!
  • Sindri Pink - On Deck
  • shanodin
  • eris

@Aldor: Before you play, please post your battle plans and other thoughts concerning the save and your turnset.

Nice work so far! I'll check save today in the evening after work, and then post my plans.

lurker's comment:
You're up over 500 gold by now. It's really time to spend that, IMO.

My preference at this stage would be a city-state (yes, I go for them early). Militaristic ones are a waste early game, as they only gift you scouts. You haven't found any maritimes yet, right? Cultural ones are also cool, as they'll let you fly through that honour tree. Getting double xp is totally fun.

Didn't Siam have any workers? From what I saw, you didn't capture any, nor are there any to capture. Sounds like a good reason to buy a worker.

How does rush buying buildings work with Romans? Does their UA make rushing buildings cheeper? Note that monuments are horribly bad to rush, by the way. Early game, it's almost always more cost effective to rush units than buildings. (Colisseums are good to rush; scouts and work boats are bad to rush.)

I'm sorry all but I think I'll not play anymore today. Have been feeling bad all day, think I'll just go to bed once I'm home. Since I don't want to hold up the game, I'll skip my turn.

You're up over 500 gold by now. It's really time to spend that, IMO.

My preference at this stage would be a city-state (yes, I go for them early).

IMO it's too early for a CS. The benefits just aren't worth it, yet. My preference would be to spend it on a Library, or some sort of infrastructure.

Didn't Siam have any workers? From what I saw, you didn't capture any, nor are there any to capture.

I find it odd if they don't have a worker. My guess is we'll grab one during the taking of city #2. That's my hope anyway.

I'm sorry all but I think I'll not play anymore today. Have been feeling bad all day, think I'll just go to bed once I'm home. Since I don't want to hold up the game, I'll skip my turn.

I understand. I hope you get to feeling better.

Current Roster:
  • Methos
  • Centerfinger - Captured Sukhothai
  • Aldor - Skipped due to illness
  • Sindri Pink - Up!
  • shanodin - On Deck
  • eris

I agree to take germany next and feel our army is sufficient to do so. I have a worker in production in Antium to assist in improving the land. I looked at both of our cities and they are weak on production, but great on food. I didn't look at the puppeted city, but it should have better production.

The stonehenge was shot in the dark, I felt it was worth the gamble. It has 7 turns to go at turn 78, so maybe. I also sent the worker over to the forest in Rome in an attempt to increase the production towards the wonder.

I didn't go with another combat unit in antium, I was contemplating a horse archer, but in my limited experience they arn't good for much.

The money situation, I think we should hold tight. Buying a CS's love is not my thing until I know I have enough to sustain allies. I usually hoard my money and only rush buy happy building when I need them. Most of the time I use cash to upgrade units. Money management is an area where I can improve.

It was a fun turn and Siam doesn't have much left, he may have a unit or two, but I killed all that I saw. I also moved the scout up a bit to see if he was hiding anything, saw nothing, took a bombardment and moved him away.

It was a fun turn set, but hogging all the action doesn't give me much benefit and may help out the next in line.

I still think we need to work out our teching. I went for Iron working only due to our original mind set of going postal on everyone. I was trying to figure out what was going to get us closer to the UU (legion), but I must have not looked far enough of the tech tree because i didn't see what tech we needed to get.

It also appears that Germany may be the only other civ on this continent and we may want to start teching to get a navy going for the next invasion.

We need to complete the road to our new puppet, as its close enough to provide an income. This will require only three hexes of road construction, since Siam already started a road for us. We only need to build road on one hex between Siam's two cities.

After Iron Working I suggest taking a detour and getting Trapping for the trading posts. We want our puppeted cities working on increasing our wealth, rather then food. Heck, with all that river territory we should make some excellent money from them. Sailing would also be helpful, for the increase in :gold:. Granted, I don't believe Sailing would be that beneficial until we start taking German cities. Trapping is a much better option, compared to Sailing.

The scout I'd be tempted to move NW-NW and take the Scouting I promotion (+1 visibility). That should give us a lot more visibility into Siam's city and keep the scout outside of bombardment range. It'll also let us know if Siam has a third city, or not.

I like Trapping next. I do want to go for Germany as soon as possible. Some of that depends on what is left over from taking out Siam. If we do or don't get Stonehenge, another horseman may be a good build.

The roads sound well worth it.

I want to buy a worker. To me, steady terrain working is key to keeping up infrastructure while we invade. Or else buy another unit. Spend it for whatever early advantage you can get is my thought. I do agree it is too early to get hooked on CS's.

But the key thing is that any delay getting to Germany is just going to make it harder to follow our strategy. That's is what I would primarily focus on.

I want to buy a worker.

While I agree on your reasoning for wanting workers, I still say we should wait at least one turn. There's a good chance that Siam has workers in the city we're about to attack, so no point in paying for a worker when we're about to grab one or more of them.

But the key thing is that any delay getting to Germany is just going to make it harder to follow our strategy. That's is what I would primarily focus on.

Agree. My intent was as soon as Siam's last city is taken, that we immediately send our army to Germany as soon as its healed. I see no reason to wait longer then it takes to heal our units before moving south.

I'm curious what's south of Germany. If it does open up, then we've got a great choke point to keep everyone out of the northern section. If there's nothing to the south of Germany, then we can fully develop our own continent.

I still want a worker. :) One per city is my goal.

To me, it becomes a trade-off between a worker or a unit for the invasion force. And that decision does need to know the results of the great Siam campaign. So, I will wait for group consensus and then sulk in my corner if I don't get my way.

OK, got it. Have to go out for a while, but I'll probably look over the save in a couple of hours and then start playing (if we've resolved all planning issues by then).

I like the idea of buying a library with our gold :) I'm a builder at heart and I love the science boost we get from libraries. Tech advantage is one of the most important factors towards winning (except in a cultural game, and even then it's very helpful) in my experience.

I suggest we send our scout, or a warrior down towards Germany before we go charging in - it'll be nice to know what we're up against. For all we know, they could have a handful of cities south of where we have seen - Bismarck usually likes to expand a lot.

Techwise, trapping is a good idea, I like to get it asap for trading posts. Next I still want to urge us towards construction for the happiness we'll need and can get from collesseums. (or am I being dense - I know I mentioned it before but don't remember if we did it or not...)

I suggest we send our scout, or a warrior down towards Germany before we go charging in - it'll be nice to know what we're up against. For all we know, they could have a handful of cities south of where we have seen - Bismarck usually likes to expand a lot.

This is a good idea.

Techwise, trapping is a good idea, I like to get it asap for trading posts. Next I still want to urge us towards construction for the happiness we'll need and can get from collesseums. (or am I being dense - I know I mentioned it before but don't remember if we did it or not...)

We currently have, or will have, +20 :) in luxuries, once we connect them all, so I'm not sure coliseums are that much of a priority.

lurker's comment:
I still want to urge us towards construction for the happiness we'll need and can get from collesseums.

i seldom build them myself. i find luxury resources are enough since puppets will build them for you.

lurker's comment:
i seldom build them myself. i find luxury resources are enough since puppets will build them for you.

If you aquire multiple maritime city states, then the puppets grow faster than they build happiness buildings. (I often get size 14 puppets with only a colisseum). So, if you guys are planning to obtain maritime city states any time soon, then you really need to prepare for rapid growth, and sudden need for happiness.

Also, if you ever get the urge to annex anything, you'll need all the happiness you can get.

Top Bottom