Giant Earth Map for Civ 5

Too big a map makes the game unplayable for all but the very fastest computers.

uh, Civ V is multicorable, and the hexcore* has been released with some people with dual dies...

*this hexcore can reportable be overclocked to 4GHz each core...

uh, Civ V is multicorable, and the hexcore* has been released with some people with dual dies...

*this hexcore can reportable be overclocked to 4GHz each core...

**And to expand on this**

If you don't have a computer with, at least, a dual core PC by now, you might want to consider upgrading at this point anyhow... or give up gaming altogether.

I really would appreciat it if an earth map with fixed realistic civ positions was included as well..

I believe that's called "Rhye's and Fall of Civilization".

No, that's the worldmap including world history ;).
One of the greatest mods around here, for sure :).

But in the download section are more than one earthmap and europe map with fixed starting positions available, just look in there ;).

If you don't have a computer with, at least, a dual core PC by now, you might want to consider upgrading at this point anyhow...

*I* do, but a fair number of Civ players don't. More to the point though, having a dual core PC does not somehow inherently mean that processor power is no longer an issue, and that you can make a map of any size you like without performance suffering.

Also, too big a map makes the game unplayable, because it takes too many turns to get anywhere. (How long should it take for England to get to North America or India or New Zealand?)

maps should be as large as possible and still playable. there should be wild unhabited areas in the world. most realistic combo would be sth like this

15 civs
20-30cities average per each
plus a large territory of unhabited wild area, maybe in a size of 40-50 cities per each civ

also considering the world should have ~2/3 sea tiles, the best size would be ~250*120.
this would be realistic. i am not joking! but i know this would be a dream.

but OTOH, transports should be able to move fast enough for this; maybe 10tiles during mid game and 40 tiles during late game. (depending on world size)

I don't think that having 15 "natural" city sites plus 45 "expansion" city sites per civ is good for gameplay. It will take far too long for the factions to actually encounter each other, and you'll probably be well into the medieval era before any actual warfare is taking place.

Think about the implied distance between start positions from the numbers you're talking about; if the nearest enemy capital is 40-60 tiles away, that's a pretty long march for a 1 movement per turn infantry army. Let alone the impossibility of attacking anyone who isn't one of your neighbors.

The AI could tend to spend most of the game with its army en route to one war or another, only to make peace before the army even gets there.

I don't think that having 15 "natural" city sites plus 45 "expansion" city sites per civ is good for gameplay. It will take far too long for the factions to actually encounter each other, and you'll probably be well into the medieval era before any actual warfare is taking place.

Think about the implied distance between start positions from the numbers you're talking about; if the nearest enemy capital is 40-60 tiles away, that's a pretty long march for a 1 movement per turn infantry army. Let alone the impossibility of attacking anyone who isn't one of your neighbors.

The AI could tend to spend most of the game with its army en route to one war or another, only to make peace before the army even gets there.
hmm yes, but it could still be ok for marathon.
or just change movements. axe should move 2, chariot 4 maybe.

well anyway, i don't support so many choices of civ4. player picks both the size and the speed. IMO, it should be automatical. huge world-->marathon, large-->epic, std-->normal

playing on std world with marathon speed is weird anyway.

u say reaching a civ would be hard. well, u could reach them in marathon. but also killing a civ completely is weird anyway. we have all the civilizations still. what actually happened in history is; some underdog civs have vassalized and/or lost half their territory.

there is very less civ that still doesn't exist today. we only don't know what happened to sumers, egyptians etc. anyway. and even they have most probably combined with other local pop.

Civs that don't exist anymore today (at least in their form as represented in Civ)

Rome, Celts, Egypt, Carthage, Greece, Aztec, Inca, Byzantine, HRE, Zulu, Sumeria, Babylon, Assyria.

I agree that changing gamespeed, and the higher movement rates and 1Upt of Civ5, can complicate the issue. The only point I really want to make is that bigger often isn't better for gameplay, and that we'll really need to get a feel for what *works* with the new engine before picking a size for an intensive earth map experience.

Civs that don't exist anymore today (at least in their form as represented in Civ)

Rome, Celts, Egypt, Carthage, Greece, Aztec, Inca, Byzantine, HRE, Zulu, Sumeria, Babylon, Assyria.

I agree that changing gamespeed, and the higher movement rates and 1Upt of Civ5, can complicate the issue. The only point I really want to make is that bigger often isn't better for gameplay, and that we'll really need to get a feel for what *works* with the new engine before picking a size for an intensive earth map experience.
almost all the civs u counted still exist today; except egypt, carthage (phoenica would be the more correct terminology in fact), sumeria and babylon. assyria is not in the game :)
still, all are ancient civs. so u can think like that;there were 30 civs in the beginning and half died in ancient times. and remembe, most of them died becasue of diseases and natural events, not wars. the final wars they lost was just the "last drops" which overfilled the glass.

anyway, back to size issue;
250*120 is not that much big. civ4 std huge map has already 10k tiles with 11civs. 250*120 is just 3 times of it. and i said it might have 15civs.
30k tile map will have 10k land. 10k/15=~666. well it just made 30-35 cities. i said every civ should have a territory of 70cities so there would still be some areas left unhabited. so i think i was thinking of a 250*250 map, not 250*120. that was a mistake. so i was meaning a a map of 6times of civ4huge map.

anyway 250*250 (62k)will have 20k land tiles. so 1300tiles=65cities per each civ.

not every civ will be able to found so many cities. so most of the world will be unhabited, realistically.

shortly, on a 62k map of 20k land tile, i suppose the starting locations will be ~40far from each other. if 40 tiles are far, u can just make it a 30-40k map instead of 62k.

well, civ4 really works so slow. i just got bored of it and started playing on std world already :( so i agree with u about gameplay. i know i will never be able to play on a 40k map fastly.

almost all the civs u counted still exist today; except egypt, carthage (phoenica would be the more correct terminology in fact), sumeria and babylon. assyria is not in the game
Civilization isn't just "genetic structure of the people". Its the whole culture.

Rome the *city* exists, but Imperial Roman culture was totally destroyed. Modern Italy comes from Lombards and Vandals - conquerors of Rome - not from ancient Rome.
Celts are gone - pushed out of Anatolia by Turks, pushed out of British isles by Angles, Saxons, Normans, Vikings, etc. There is no real "Celtic" culture anymore.
Carthage totally gone - and it long outstripped Phoenicia in scope, the colony surpassed the motherland (much like US surpassed Britain).
Aztecs: culture is gone, assimilated into Spanish conquests. Mexico is not Aztec.
Similarly Incas, excepting a few pockets of Quecha speakers in Peru and the like. Culture is mostly gone.
Byzantines are totally gone, devoured by the Ottomans. Ottoman Empire was not culturally Greek/Orthodox/Byzantine.
HRE (as distinct from Germany) is gone, devoured by Germany and Austria/Hungary.
Zulus are still a significant political group in South Africa, but they are not a separate civilization anymore.

just 3 times of it.
Just?

250*250 map, not 250*120. that was a mistake. so i was meaning a a map of 6times of civ4huge map.
Sounds pretty gargantuan to me.

well, civ4 really works so slow. i just got bored of it and started playing on std world already so i agree with u about gameplay.
Precisely. The Civ4 GEM is cool, but I think its more important to make soemthing that is still playable.

Precisely. The Civ4 GEM is cool, but I think its more important to make something that is still playable.

I don't understand why I get all the blames for making maps thats unplayable. There are maps bigger than GEM out there and they don't seems to get the same amount of complaints as I do. Somehow the rumor "GEM = unplayable" is spread across the society. :mad:

I admit it is slower to play a game on GEM than on a huge map. But what can you expect? Of course it will be slower. It has to be a trade-off! As long as the trade-off is worthwhile, and I think it does, then it is acceptable.

I don't understand why I get all the blames for making maps thats unplayable. There are maps bigger than GEM out there and they don't seems to get the same amount of complaints as I do. Somehow the rumor "GEM = unplayable" is spread across the society.

None of the other big maps are as popular as yours :)

I totally appreciate what you're trying to do, and you make a great contribution to the community. If you prefer to go with a really huge version, I bet there will be a demand for that, and I bet that other people will also make earth maps that are more tailored to my particular (possibly idiosyncratic?) preferences.

Apologies for conveying a sense of "blame"; not my intention. "Playability" of course is in the eye of the beholder.

All I suggest is; runtime is not the only relevant issue in determining size, gameplay (in terms of how far about the civs are for eg) is also an important factor, and it will only really be apparent once we get something of a feel for the actual mechanics (city placement, movement rates, army sizes, pacing, etc.) of the new game.

In any case, even if I find it too large to play on for my personal use, I'm still looking forward to seeing what you come up with, I bet hexes will allow you to generate a beautiful and more accurate map.

Hopefully not too far off topic. A large map would be great if the civs not only started out on location, but also in time. Modern civs would not be available until the turn representing their rise. Maybe this has already been done in a mod. Say you started out as Romans. You would have to "catch up" to civs that had already been around for 50+ turns.

Timtofly: try the "Rhyes and Fall of Civilization" mod. The mod is basically a real world history simulator.

but download the newest version of it

None of the other big maps are as popular as yours :)

I totally appreciate what you're trying to do, and you make a great contribution to the community. If you prefer to go with a really huge version, I bet there will be a demand for that, and I bet that other people will also make earth maps that are more tailored to my particular (possibly idiosyncratic?) preferences.

Apologies for conveying a sense of "blame"; not my intention. "Playability" of course is in the eye of the beholder.

All I suggest is; runtime is not the only relevant issue in determining size, gameplay (in terms of how far about the civs are for eg) is also an important factor, and it will only really be apparent once we get something of a feel for the actual mechanics (city placement, movement rates, army sizes, pacing, etc.) of the new game.

In any case, even if I find it too large to play on for my personal use, I'm still looking forward to seeing what you come up with, I bet hexes will allow you to generate a beautiful and more accurate map.

Well accepted. :cool:

Hopefully Civ5 will allow running big maps more smoothly.

You know Firaxis Games might make sphere-shaped maps using hexagons like a real world, instead of making cylindrical maps.

Top Bottom