Altering map scripts for new map types?

Varelse

Rabble Rouser
One of my biggest disappointments with Civ4 so far has been the new map types. The maps themselves are fine but you can only have a flat map, and I really do not enjoy playing on a flat map. The highland maps, inner sea maps, great plains maps, etc. Does anyone know of a mod that allows for global(round) maps on these map types or who can give some hints on how it could be done?

Sure, it's easy.

1. Start a game on a map of the type you like.
2. Enter WorldBuilder3
3. Save the file.
4. Quit Civ.
5. Open the worldBuilderSave with Wordpad
6. Look for the Map part. It might look like this:
BeginMap
grid width=49
grid height=68
top latitude=90
bottom latitude=-90
wrap X=1
wrap Y=0
world size=WORLDSIZE_STANDARD
climate=CLIMATE_TEMPERATE
sealevel=SEALEVEL_MEDIUM
num plots written=3332
EndMap

Well now. The lines with wrapX= and wrapY= are what you're looking for.
Change the wrapX=0 to wrapX=1 and you got a normal round world map. I recommended to leave wrapY at 0.

Thank you! The only drawback here is I'll have the map revealed before I even play it, but this is still a big help! :)

You can also set the X & Y wrap functions in the map script themselves. This would be very simple, not to mention you won't need to use WorldBuilder and have to worry about revealing the map to yourself.

low said:
You can also set the X & Y wrap functions in the map script themselves. This would be very simple, not to mention you won't need to use WorldBuilder and have to worry about revealing the map to yourself.

Whoa, you can set the *functions*? Or just the flags? Cuz if it's the functions, we could write a wrap function that gaves us something other than a torus for a map. Like, on a 100 tile wide map, going north from the north edge could displace you east 50 tiles.

TBox said:
Whoa, you can set the *functions*? Or just the flags? Cuz if it's the functions, we could write a wrap function that gaves us something other than a torus for a map. Like, on a 100 tile wide map, going north from the north edge could displace you east 50 tiles.

Yes, I didn't mean functions. Sorry. :p

Just make a backup of the map script you want to change and throw this in it:

Code:
def getWrapX():
	return True
def getWrapY():
	return False

That should work. :goodjob:

Top Bottom