[BNW] Diplo relation mechanics? DOF? On Diety?

fcf12

Chieftain
Does anyone know beyond the +/- modifiers how diplo mechanics work, especially DOF.

Some things / tips I noticed are:

Do not grant embassy early game. It just make the nearby civs place a city right next to your capital, which will automatically gives you +20 "We asked them to stop Settling new Cities near us" when you find your next city, or if you even buy a tile all the way on the other side of the border from their city you get another +20/15 for buying land tiles.

Do not leave wide gaps between your cities. AI will just place a city from half way across the world right in the middle of your empire without even touching water. Then you can never DOF them even if you have tons of - modifiers (like Traded, DOF with Friends, Denounced same Enemies, etc)

You seem to never be able to get a DOF even with all - modifies and no + if your borders touch the AI's.

Check who proposed what in the world congress, and give them 1 yes/nay for free -20 boost.
1 -20 and 1 free lux gives you -30. Being denounced gives you +35. Is it enough to stop a war / get 7gpt trade deals still?

Request for help gives -30 a huge boost. Denouncement gives +35. You should always accept if you have resources to trade to that civ.

War against the same target like when they ask you to go to war in 10 turns gives -50 boost, but its probably not worth it as every civ will stop trading with you at a good rate and will not DOF you except the one that got the -50 with you. (Can anyone confirm this is true, is it ever worth it to accept this proposal if you want to hold onto 3+ DOF's for as long as possible?)

Deny every request to go to War. It does not give a diplo penalty, but Accepting and then not following through gives +20 which is quite big.

Embassy gives -1 relations, open borders I belive give nothing. You can ignore embassies and open borders. It should not affect DoF's.

When spying on someone like babylon / large tech leader. When they tell you to stop, deny. As you will obv keep spying on them, and the hit is +10 which is easily fixable by sending them a congress vote / giving them a lux. VS telling youl stop will hit you with +20 once you get caught.

I had a situation where I warred against Brazil, got a double worker with a scout. Literarly 1 turn, using both moves to grab 2 workers as he was transporting them across cities that were like 10 tiles away lol. No archers / warriors in sight. Then later made peace, and he gave me a DoF right away. Also that game early I warred against a CS, set the worker trap (easy on jungle/hill start) and kept at war with them. I dont remeber if I met brazil before warring the CS right beside him. I remember reading that the first war is free (no warmonger), and that you can war as many city states as much as you like if you have not met anyone yet. The question is, is the first CS war AND the first Civ war free?

Curious if anyone else knows any tips/tricks for getting that pretty much necessary DOF.

Short version: Play as Sweden, Morocco, Arabia. Any powerhouse diplo civ.

Slightly longer version: I'm intrigued myself by what motivates the AI, but have come to believe that no amount of statistical analysis can fully lead us to understand the AI. We should treat them with the utmost suspicion at all times. Or you know, DoW them first. :)

AI diplomacy

Step one: Settle a city in your doorstep, half the map away from their other cities
Step two: Complain that you're settling too close to them

What if the production points that it generates exceed what is needed to finish my current Wonder?

Will the excess production points be carried over for the next constructions?

What if the production points that it generates exceed what is needed to finish my current Wonder?

Will the excess production points be carried over for the next constructions?

Probably you need to post this in a different thread, but yes, extra hammers are saved and go into your next building. You can shave a turn here and there by watching this mechanic closely.

AI diplomacy...
Step 3: Pick on the whiping boy. It seems that the AI values score quite highly, and on Deity it is quite easy to be last in score. Unless you play one of the "easy" DCL.

You should take DOF's with a pinch of salt as the AI rarely regards friendship as that. Rather a DOF should be renamed to "Declaration of you won't DOW me for 50 turns...."

2 ways I've found that usually guarantees a DOF are:
1.)Be the tech leader by the Renaissance era.
2.)Go to war with common foes.

Does anyone know beyond the +/- modifiers how diplo mechanics work, especially DOF.

OP, where are you getting these numbers from? They feel about right, but I don’t remember seeing specific values before! That said, you seem to have flipped negative/positive with them.

You seem to never be able to get a DOF even with all - modifies and no + if your borders touch the AI's.

Except for certain AI (e.g., Rome), that is not true in my experience. I am not sure which is the flavor/trait that controls this, but the less expansive AI (e.g., India) certainly aren’t that influenced by touching borders.

Check who proposed what in the world congress, and give them 1 yes/nay for free -20 boost.

1 yeah vote (for bad proposal) is easy diplo modifier to the good. Under what circumstances does a nay vote help with diplo? Even if I, for example, vote against embargo civ X, it does not seem that relations improve with civ X. If the embargo fails, then the civ who proposed it will be mad at me. What is the value of that anger?

1 -20 and 1 free lux gives you -30.

Is that 1 gpt or 1 what? I had no idea that unprompted gifts are that valuable.

Is it enough to stop a war / get 7gpt trade deals still?

I am not sure any diplo modifier is enough to stop a war. It is all about cumulative effects. You can easily get 7 gpt trade deals often with other AIs after being denounced, but probably not from the AI that denounced you for ~10 turns (so long as you don’t denounce back, or otherwise degrade relations).

...but its probably not worth it as every civ will stop trading with you at a good rate and will not DOF you except the one that got the -50 with you.

That is not correct. A single DoW is a pretty small diplo hit, even with the civ you DoW! What is harsh is backstabbing (DoW or denounce a civ with a DoF). Don’t backstab.

When spying on someone like babylon / large tech leader. When they tell you to stop, deny. As you will obv keep spying on them, and the hit is +10 which is easily fixable by sending them a congress vote / giving them a lux. VS telling youl stop will hit you with +20 once you get caught.

What is the penalty for being caught spying? I am pretty sure that penalty is on top of the 10/20 that you mention above. Also, some civs react stronger to spying than others. So, again, where are your numbers from?

I had a situation where I warred against Brazil, got a double worker with a scout... Then later made peace, and he gave me a DoF right away... The question is, is the first CS war AND the first Civ war free?

Early-era wars against one or more AI are now quickly overlooked. If you do not war early, then first DOW against an AI still has no lasting consequences. Probably you can war at will early (against AI), make peace and DoFs, and have a single late DoW with no consequences. Once you hit ideologies, DoWs have very little relative impact anyway.

Curious if anyone else knows any tips/tricks for getting that pretty much necessary DOF.

Until relatively recently, I used to pretty much peacefully turtle. I am not sure why you are having trouble getting lots of DoF going.

Top Bottom