The Emperor Challenge Lineup - Game #4 SPAIN

budweiser

King of the Beers
ECL Game #4
You - SPAIN
Total Civilizations - 8
Total City States -16
Map – Continents
Settings – Quick movement & combat(turn it back on if you would like). Everything else is set to default.
Game Version -
Downloadable Content – G&K, BNW, Conquest of the New World Deluxe, Genghis Khan's Mongolia, Harold Bluetooth's Denmark, Isabella’s Sapin and Pachacuti's Incan Empire, Kamehameha's Polynesian Empire, Nebruchadnezzar's Babylon, Sejong The Great's Korea, Wonders of the Ancient World. The map pack are intentionally excluded.

Spoiler :
All games in this series will be set to EMPEROR difficulty. User civilizations, maps, and opponents will change each game, but the pace will always be set at standard and the starting era will always be ancient. We will try for a variety of starts, and not just having a crazy warmonger as your next door neighbor (although there will be that too). This isn't a competition so there will be no predefined victory conditions. New challenges in the series will be posted every other Friday to off set the Deity games.

Who can play?
Anybody can play. The more the merrier. Even if you normally don't play Emperor games you are still welcome to try. The games can become great learning resources for the player trying to improve. Even if you don't finish the game, we are still interested to hear about your experience.

Do's and Don'ts
We are going to be using the honor system. Feel free to restart, reload, play the same game multiple times, but don't use the science overflow exploit. Also please don't edit the game in IGE. If you do chose to cheat, please don't share your results in the comments. Also, please use the spoiler tag if you post a picture, comment about neighboring civs, close by wonders, or locations of ancient ruins.

Also, please tell us about your Build Order, Social Policies, Tech Order, and what type of wonders you went after. I know a lot of this stuff seems pretty mundane to the experienced player, but the details are incredibly useful to people trying to learn.

Future Games in the Series
I currently do not have a means to accept a map submission. I am open to request for which civs can be next, just shoot me a PM.

Edit: I have removed the previous save as it did not meet the criteria for map packs. I have provided a second map which I think will have what everyone is looking for in a Spanish map. :rolleyes:

Good Hunting!

Attachments

• AutoSave_Initial_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    561.2 KB · Views: 137
This game originally came in by request. I posted a map without checking it out first and unfortunately it included DLC Map Packs, a common oversight.

I have removed that map and posted a second map which should meet our needs.

So the question is then which Wonder is nearby to make this game interesting :eekdance: there is no way we could have one of these with Spain and not have a wonder. That would be just no fun at all.

So the question is then which Wonder is nearby to make this game interesting :eekdance: there is no way we could have one of these with Spain and not have a wonder. That would be just no fun at all.

It would be fun to watch everyone moving 10 turns with their starting settler looking for one though.

It would be fun to watch everyone moving 10 turns with their starting settler looking for one though.
Emperor is easy enough this is still possible to do. Sure would be frustrating moving 10 turns for a weak wonder though.

Come on coastal start for barrier reef :lol:

The save requires Explorers and both Scrambled Map Packs, which aren't on the list.

My apologies. Like I said, I pretty much posted the first map sight unseen from a fellow fanatic. This series is not supposed to include the map packs. I have removed the first map.

I have posted another Spanish map. It is continents with proper DLC. See the first post to get the map.

Diplo Victory on 340 turn. By the 200th turn game was already won - 1st on demographics in all lines, scientific runaway and so on. All the rest was my as usual - my inability to force win. AS a result - I got 42 votes as World Leader when I was influental with 1 AI and 3 or 4 turns before finishing last spaceship detail. My ideology (Order) was - world ideology as well as religion.

I tried to make some notes in process - but only in the beginning, because later game became quite easy ang predictable:

Spoiler :
After quick assessment I decided to go north to settle my capital near the mountain (future observatory) and the lake (fresh water access).
Build order at the capital was: scout - monument - scout - shrine - archer - worker - granary. After last patch free monument from Tradition came way too late and I usually build monument in capital and get it for free in other cities. If I go Liberty - I need to build monument anyway.

Warrior went scouting around Madrid, first scout went further north (Mongols beat me towards Fuji)), second scout went to the west later (and found Uluru, which gave me 500 gold).
On this gold I bought settler which settled Barcelona near Fuji. Mongols already settled their second city and was really upset with my new city.
First scout became archer, warrior became spearman, last scout died soon after discovering Uluru and Hong Kong.

Researh was: Pottery - Animal Husbandry - Archery (barbarians came to my cap and I needed some defence) - Mining (for Salt) - Writing (no other lux tech was needed at the time) - Bronze working (for production bonus and faith from pantheon which already was taken at this moment).

In Barcelona I placed citizen on Fuji to get pantheon ASAP and after some hesitations took Earth Mother (One with Nature was also interesting variant).

General Strategy was: forward settle to Fuji and secure all big peninsula for myself. I went Liberty to get free settler and faster expansion.

After getting free settler from Liberty and settling Sevilla (on the shore to the east from Madrid) I dropped to -1 Happiness - mistake of mine, I should work Salt before wheat.

At the end I had 8 cities:

Madrid - 25 pop
Barcelona - 19 pop
Sevilla - 23 pop
Cordoba - 22
Toledo - 20
Santiago - 15
Salamanca - 26
Murcia - 18

Gold : 7227 (+378)
+33 Happiness
+440 culture pt
13040 Faith (+128 pt) - I am stupid, I should use it at least to buy scientists, but taking Tradition instead of Liberty may be even better idea. But I simply forgot :(

For some strange reason I can't make a screenshot but I made a save and can upload it.

T209 Domination

Spoiler :
Started with 3 cities (found 2 wonders: 500+100 Gold, 1 settler bought, 1 from Liberty), NC around T70. Later at T100+ started conquering my continent. Mongols fell, then Babylon. All with Composite Bowmen and 2 pikemen. Then moved onto the 2nd continent and saw that Rome has already killed China, Siam and had a control of the Persian capital. First I took out Sweden and at the same time I had Frigates and Tercios sailing to conquer the great city of Rome which was pretty easy with that power. After that I took Persian, Siamese and Chinese capitals from Rome and that was the end. I liked Tercios although I think they become obsolete rather soon.

Policies: Full liberty (GE used for ND), almost full rationalism, patronage and commerce opener.

Religion: Pantheon - 10% growth; +1 gold for every 4 followers and mosques; I had religion in my major cities.

I never researched Scientific Theory, went for Dynamite but did not need it at the end.

Thank you for the map.

Attachments

• spanishECLsun1.jpg
    spanishECLsun1.jpg
    363.7 KB · Views: 975
  • spanishECLsun2.jpg
    spanishECLsun2.jpg
    343 KB · Views: 961
Spoiler :
This one falls into the "God Like" tier for Spain. Found Fuji first....but Mongols beat me to it.....Found Uluru and got the big prize. Settled on the coast between Fuji and the Flood Plains and quickly bought up the tiles for capture Fuji. Pantheon hit just as I got the tiles so I hit 2-3 population and worked it until Prophet spawned. From their Faith just took off with One with Nature. Grabbed Pagodas and quickly bought all I could for happiness. I also founded on the coast west of Old Faithful to get the huge happiness boost.

Apparently the AI went full mode on me. Mongols only settled one city. I took it out with a Crossbow rush. From their Babylon got wiped out so I own the continent all to myself and still haven't met other AIs so they'll never know of my transgressions. I hit Hanging Gardens and Notre Dam so even with 7 cities happiness is doing good.

Just about to T200 and this game is pretty much in the bag. Will meet AIs on the other continent and decide if I want to go for my first Domination win ever. I'm usually the nice guy that never attacks someone :lol:

I'll be posting the next challenge on Friday.

There is a request for something 'harder', Denmark with some kind of water map.

I went ahead and played through T130 last night. It's a fun map, in the "Dominating the World" sense. I have mostly played Deity lately and it was actually hard to adjust to (a) Wonders going significantly later and (b) Really super hard to worker steal!!!

Maps to post later tonight.

Spoiler :

Build Order in Capital: Scout, Monument, Worker, Granary, Archer, Temple of Artemis. In retrospect, I could have and probably should have done the Great Library, which went on T43.

Spain Unique Ability: Warrior went NE, found Fuji 2nd for 100 gold. Scout went west, found Uluru for 500 gold. Scout eventually doubled back north and found Old Faithful for 100 gold. I used the initial 500 gold to buy a settler and plopped him on a hill directly SE of Fuji and worked that tile immediately to get a Pantheon (One With Nature) and kept working it until I popped a Settler with Liberty. More on that below.

Settlement: I dropped settler SE of Fuji, E of Uluru, to the SW of capital to get Marble, two cities to east / SE of capital to get multiple salt, and to the far NE to get Bananas / Ivory. I am swimming a settler / archer / missionary to the island to the west, and swimming a settler / archer to the north to settle old faithful. Will likely self found 9-10 cities before conquering.

Social Policies: Liberty left side, liberty right side except for happiness, piety to reformation, which I used to go Sacred Sites. I originally planned to do Jesuits to faith buy lots of tech buildings and do an Order / Scientist win ... but Sacred Sites will be OK too. I will eventually get a Ratio opener and Secularism, after finishing Liberty for a free GE to build a Ren Wonder.

This seemed crazy easy, and I should have a Culture victory sometime in the 210s or earlier. I'm about to ding Astronomy and go meet the New World. Short term plan is to conquer Mongols and Babylon with Frigates and then ... ?

Is there going to be a fifth game in the Emperor series? I had fun with this Spain map. Played it out to just past 300 turns so far. I am doing well but a couple of AI are doing a little better.

Spoiler :
Going from memory only, I think I went Liberty to free Settler, then moved over to Tradition. I don't really remember my tech or building order, though. Mainly because I never really settled on an overall strategy and was just kinda winging it. If I had to do it over again, I think I would just keep going with Liberty. I don't like Tradition anymore since the nerf. The timing seems all wrong now. Its still probably stronger than Liberty, just not as much fun.

At this point it would be good if someone else posted the Emperor challenges. I am spending tons of time just rolling maps for the ICL. I'm not getting any games finished. :)

Is someone there to provide a game as Emperor challenge? I love the idea since budweiser said there was kind of a request for a water type map and this is exactly what i'm playing right now because i suck at it. ^^

If nobody wants to provide a game, can I give a save? There seems to be a lot of deity players around, but i think for 'us' emperor players this challenges are still a great way to learn because you read what others do at the same situation.

The only thing i would need to know is what civ is favoured? I just rolled a fantastic map i think with Indonesia but that was already part of a deity challenge a short time ago i think. Denmark could be fun too if more people would like that.

Go ahead Joe, do it!

Please remember to take out the Map Packs if you have them.

Alright, let's do this then! I will wait another day or two before i post so other people have a chance to tell me what Civ they would like to see . . . because i don't want to bore them of course. And it gives me some time to finish a different game i just started.

For now, i thought about either Indonesia or Denmark, remember we want play some water type map this time and this Civ's are usually a little bit different in playstyle, i think. Both are nice challenging in my opinion. So, if there is no specific request i will just post a really cool start i already rolled with Indonesia. (Map packs i took out seeing this could be something to post here).

:goodjob:

Top Bottom