Youtube guide list?

CornPlanter

Emperor
I am wondering would it be OK to make a sticky thread, here or in War Academy forum, for good youtube Civ5 educational videos, or channels. I am talking videos where people explain their decisions, thought process, interesting or more obscure mechanics stuff, etc., i.e. videos that help people learn the game, not just halfassed let'splays with subpar jokes to attract random viewers.

I came up with this idea because sometimes I find links to youtube in this forum, and those usually are pretty good videos to learn things. However it's hard to find them by just googling or using youtube search, for some reason I always get very subpar results, people that play even worse than me but probably have a fanbase following. I am not getting anything out of those videos, nor could they be called educational anyway. It's hard to find really good stuff. What do you think?

I do not know about where to put it and the sticky thread idea. I do know you can get a lot of really good LPs on Youtube that are very educational. (IMHO) I think Acken is leading the pack as of now with current Single Player Deity and Immortal LPs. His name is listed as RezoAcken on Youtube.

Other older LPs can be found like SBFMadDjinn, ElceePlaysCiv, Marbozir, Moriarte, Quill 18, Yoruus (MP), Filthy Robot (MP) and PrimEvalCIV... etc.

On a side note I am running a statistic website for the DCL/ICL/IDS Games that features current LPs and can be found at the bottom of my post.

If I may, if you're, say, an Emperor level player or below, you might need to work your way up, because watching a Deity play may not help as much initially. Watching MadDjinn back in the olden days only made me want to quit the game forever :D

If I may, if you're, say, an Emperor level player or below, you might need to work your way up, because watching a Deity play may not help as much initially. Watching MadDjinn back in the olden days only made me want to quit the game forever :D
If it's a Deity player that explains what they are doing and why I think they are the best ones to watch. The majority of the tactics should work just fine on Immortal and Emperor and obviously following them makes those difficulty levels no problem. The AI not having money for trades is one of the things that definitely changes between the levels. Emperor especially.

I do not know about where to put it and the sticky thread idea. I do know you can get a lot of really good LPs on Youtube that are very educational. (IMHO) I think Acken is leading the pack as of now with current Single Player Deity and Immortal LPs. His name is listed as RezoAcken on Youtube.

Other older LPs can be found like SBFMadDjinn, ElceePlaysCiv, Marbozir, Moriarte, Quill 18, Yoruus (MP), Filthy Robot (MP) and PrimEvalCIV... etc.

On a side note I am running a statistic website for the DCL/ICL/IDS Games that features current LPs and can be found at the bottom of my post.

Thank you, I will definitely look into those that I haven't had a chance to watch yet.

Its tough to pick a list of the most "educational" as each viewer looks for something different. As someone that makes LPs, it is tough to balance strategy, explaining thought-process, actual good gameplay, and entertainment value. I would suggest trying a bunch and see which person you connect with most. There are a lot of active LP channels, and I'm sure if you asked for more explanations on why certain players are doing certain things with specifics, they'd be happy to expand on it in future videos.

I was indeed thinking of creating a list of LPs and classify them based on certain attributes like entertainment, gameplay, explanations etc. But I'm too lazy so someone else can :)

If it's a Deity player that explains what they are doing and why I think they are the best ones to watch. The majority of the tactics should work just fine on Immortal and Emperor and obviously following them makes those difficulty levels no problem. The AI not having money for trades is one of the things that definitely changes between the levels. Emperor especially.

In my oppinion there are more strategies that are different. Notably

- worker stealing from CS and AI
- not building wonders / GL
- pretty fixed teching (like beelining education) not necessary
- as you mentioned everything about trading

I get your point, but sometimes it's not the best idea to follow deity tactics if you are on i.e. King level in my oppinion. Makes the game harder.

Top Bottom