Is it known in which Pelop war battles Socrates served as a hoplite?

Kyriakos

Creator
According to the dialogues by Plato, Socrates was a hoplite in three battles, starting with the first of the war at Potidaea (Chalkidike peninsula, revolted Athenian colony), then (iirc) near Megara, and finally in the disastrous Athenian defeat at Delion, to the Thebans.
In fact that last one is a core subject of the dialogue titled Laches, with Laches being a military officer who was said to be saved by Socrates when the latter was covering the retreat.

I want to ask if we have other sources noting where Socrates fought. Given that there exist sources even for much earlier battles and hoplites there (eg Aeschylos the tragic poet served at Marathon, alongside his hero- and killed then- brother), and so do they exist later on for main names (such as that ant-person Demosthenes who "fought" as a hoplite at the nice battle at Chaeronia, and later on caused Thebes to be raised with his lies that Alexander had been killed in the north), i suppose that some others may note such info. Maybe Xenophon or Thucydides? :)

Maybe a bit OT, but are there any hints as to what were the casualty rates in such battles between hoplite-based armies?

Were those battles very bloody (at least for the defeated army), or not that much?

Given that there exist sources even for much earlier battles and hoplites

Any famous guys who fought and survived a lot of battles? Socrates fought in 3 including 1 in which his side lost, right?

Not all hoplites would fight in the vanguard, which likely saw most of the combat and if it collapsed in all parts (usually 3 or more, iirc) the rest retreated (i suppose, given most local armies prior to the rise of Thebes to hegemony (and later Macedonia) were either full hoplite-cored, or had some cavalry as well- eg the Ionian states).

So it is not that strange that Demosthenes, a very known wimp, managed to not be killed at Chaeronia, despite the utter defeat to the opposing (Phillip's Macedonia) army ;)

Also it seems that rarely entire armies were being wiped out, due to the proximity to forts and plans for retreat. At Delion the Athenians and their allies retreated to their fort, but according to Thucydides the Thebans used some sort of massive construction which could fire a flame, and given most of the exposed part of the fort was wooden the Athenians had to sign that away too and just leave the area.
The Athenian request to get Delion back in the stop of the Peloponnesian war (first part) was denied by Thebes, and it was one of the reasons the war broke out again (along with the campaign at Sicily, where iirc indeed a huge Athenian army-tens of thousands- was killed entirely in the end).

(of course, very famously, the Spartans agreed to a ceasefire also so that their few hundred Omoioi caught by Athens at Sphacteria would not be killed).

Any famous guys who fought and survived a lot of battles? Socrates fought in 3 including 1 in which his side lost, right?

I have seen it argued (but i am not sure if the source is good, maybe it even was just wiki as well) that the fourth and final Eleatic philosopher, Melissos of Samos (likely teacher of Democritos, of the 'atom theory') was navarch in the era of Pericles when Samos revolted, and Melissos defeated Pericles in some battle or battles.

I don't recall anyone else of that era, other than the already mentioned ones (Aeschylos and Socrates), if we go just by the ones famous for other reasons and not politics/war.

Similarly i think that one of the trierachs of Athens (or at worst just a soldier on the triremes) during the Argynousae decisive Athenian victory at sea against Sparta, was Lysias, but i am not at all sure if he is the famous rhetorician (despite the era being the same; Lysias became famous for his court writings the two next decades).

Lysias' father Cephalus was extremely wealthy and furnished triremes as part of his civic liturgies, though the family lost most of their wealth in the chaos following the Peloponnesian War. I don't know whether he actually provided any himself.

Top Bottom