The year of the elephant

jackelgull

An aberration of nature
So i did some research on a part of pre Islamic history that interested me. Please don't hurt me I mean I'm only sixteen. I did the best that I could. If there's anything laughably false please let me know.

http://www.historynet.com/roman-persian-wars.htm
http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/buried-christian-empire-in-yemen-casts-new-light-on-early-islam-a-874048.html
The Year of the Elephant
The Year of the Elephant is a historical component of the Islamic identity, one that occurs in pre Islamic Arabia not too long ago. It is supposedly the birth year of the Prophet, they year in which Allah protected his divine domicile.
The story of the year of the Elephant though, is really a chapter in the age old struggle between Persia and Rome for the Middle East which began ever since the Romans took Syria. The stakes in this matter were simple, survival. Neither side trusted the other and sought an advantage over the other, leading to frequent conflict. Many of Rome’s greatest commanders had sought to crack Persia (Caesar was planning to invade Persia through Armenia before he died), and many of Persia’s greatest commanders had sought to defeat Rome. The balance of power shifted from side to side and the conflict outlasted two Persian dynasties (the Parthians and the Sassanids) and outlasted the Roman Empire itself. As a general outline, the Parthians devastated the Romans militarily, there was an uneasy peace until the Parthians weakened and then collapsed after a full scale Roman invasion by Trajan. Then the Sassanids arose from the ashes of the Parthians in the third century AD. They were a greater more credible threat. The Roman Empire managed to hold on but this new dynasty was more aggressive. Then the Roman Empire coalesced into the Eastern Roman Empire during a century of peace following the Sassanid reconquest of Northern Mesopotamia. This peace didn’t last and during Justinian’s conquest of old Roman territory, the Sassanids launched a series of hard hitting raids against major Eastern Roman cities in the Near East. In the end the Eastern Romans were forced to pay tribute to the Sassanids ending the conflict in 562 AD for a temporary respite. Thus the year of the elephant was a product of the imperial ambitions of the Romans and Persians in the Middle East.
The client kingdoms of the Eastern Roman Empire were making inroads to the desert, paving the way for missionaries to bring Christianity and empire to the Arabian Peninsula. The Arab tribes began taking sides. Christian tribes were generally allies of the Eastern Romans while Jewish tribes were mostly allied with the Sassanids.
Then in 520 CE the breaking point came when one of those “Jewish” tribes, Zafar, attacked its Christian neighbor Najran and burned its churches and slaughtered the Christians. The news traveled all the way back to Europe and the Byzantine Empire demanded that its ally Ethiopia do something. Here is where the forces of history-political, social and economic imbue themselves in one man: Abraha an almost ironic name for the man who would almost destroy the house of Allah.
Abraha is the Christian puppet of the Ethiopian king. He was installed after an invasion of Zafar. He would extend his empire to cover most of Southern Arabia. He would then build one of the most impressive churches in the world in Sanaa hiring engineers from the Eastern Roman Empire to do so. In 572 AD he finished and invited the tribes of the surrounding area to come and look, and marvel at the sight. He was hoping that the tribes would accept his church as their holy site, and abandon the Kabaah which until then was where the Arab tribes stored their idols for worship. Or in other words, he wanted to expand his prestige and influence. However, an angry native of Mecca relieved himself in the Sanaa church, prompting the furious Abraha to dispatch his warriors, mounted on elephants, to destroy the Kaaba. Now the actual number of elephants is unsure. It might have been as many as seventy. It might be just one. But according to a surah in the Quran there were elephants. I am Muslim, you, know. Whatever the truth about the elephants, there is evidence that devastating raids were carried out on Mecca during this time period.
However, Abraha was never destined to reach the city walls. He was killed when Allah sent forth a flock of birds to pelt the invading army with stones and the Kaaba was saved. At least, according to Islamic sources. A more plausible explanation is that the Arabs were warned in advance and came up with tactics to scare the elephants into stampeding. Whatever the truth is, the year of the elephant had powerful consequences for the Middle East. This Yemeni empire had the potential to shake up the Persian Eastern Roman dynamic, considering it had the power to send soldiers as far as northern Mesopotamia to try and free captured bishops. Had it succeeded in conquering Mecca and destroying the Kaaba there might not have been an Islam. And after the Year of the Elephant, the Yemeni empire faded into oblivion, destroyed from a variety of factors, the most important being plague and drought. It also became a powerful myth, part of the Islamic identity. Muhammed was supposedly born this year, a year in which a miracle occurred.

Alternatively, here's a different explanation.
http://www.free-minds.org/people-elephant

and you would be hurt for what ? For claiming a miracle didn't happen ? Islam has survived 1400 years plus , handling even those glorious Meccans who mocked Kuran by taking a Sure and "changed" into something about the properties of an elephant . Even if they all converted and poisoned within , but whatever ...

Why would destroying the Kaaba have made a difference? Would not the prophet have still carried out his life and writings?

Comparing it to Christianity, it would be like saying if the temple had not been destroyed in 70 AD, Rome would not be the home of the Vatican.

I have no issue with the story of the elephants. I am not even saying it did not happen. I am just not getting the interpretation of how big of an influence it was. My logic may be flawed today though.

The thing is though that the Kabaa is the spiritual center of Islam. The year of the elephant is taken as a sort of proof of its holy status. After all if it had been destroyed, it would have made Allah less credible as a protector if He could not even protect his own house.

I'll add some more things I'd like to clear up. I overstated the importance of the year of the elephant in relationship to world history. It is vitally important only to Islam. Had the year of the elephant not happened or even if it never had happened. The droughts and famine still would've destroyed the Yemeni kingdom. It has become an accepted part of Islamic identity though, and the dominant narrative you'll hear from any Islamic historian. In fact there are Saudi Arabian historians who spend their time trying to prove this.

In my logic, the Kaaba was not that central to Islam, until the prophet made it so. It still could have been destroyed and rebuilt and still would have been miraculously raised from the ashes. Especially if it had been used by several other possible polytheistic religions. Purification is not as vile as it sounds.

Thinking more about it, I had forgotten the importance of historical sites for Muslims. So perhaps something to jog the memory (at least for non-Muslims) on that point. Perhaps putting a little more meat to the divine domicile tidbit. Not that there is doubt about Allah living here on earth, but more about why such places are important. Of course most would probably think Allah living on earth is less plausible than a miraculous elephant stampede. I am sure to a strictly Muslim audience, there would not have been any issue on the point, I made.

The Kabaa isn't literally Allah's house on earth. Rather, in Islamic tradition, it is believed that Abraham built the structure in the hopes that it would become a place of worship and Allah promised it would become THE PLACE of worship. House of Allah is just the figurative name it's given.

It is one of the pillar's of Islam to go at least once in your life if your able and the rewards are large.
http://www.missionislam.com/knowledge/tremendousrewardhajj.html

I suppose you can say there would be an Islam without the Kabaa, but considering I pray towards the Kabaa, at the very least Islam would look very different.

Another reason too, that the Kabaa was important to early Islam, is that it had already functioned as a spiritual center well before the time of the prophet. Basically, it was a part of a strategy of the prophet that centered around introducing the Islam to his people through connecting it to things they were already familiar with. The reason God's name became Allah, is because in pagan Arab tradition Allah was the deity that created the universe. He created other gods to delegate tasks to.

and about the Freeminds site linked in the OP , does it talk bad about the Umayyads as well or is it just an anti-Abbasid thing ?

ahh , that figures then . Umayyads being "truer" Muslims with more hate against other "Muslims" and stuff .

Top Bottom