Current v1.13 Development Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leoreth

Blue Period
This is the thread for discussing the current development of the mod. I will also use it to announce new commits.

To participate, get access to the SVN version of the mod:

Access to the Development Version

Are you tired of waiting for the next release to download, or are wondering what new features everyone is talking about? Then you might want to take a look into the current development version of the mod.

This works through a versioning system called SVN. There is an online repository that contains copy of my current development folder. Every change I make will be uploaded there (called a "commit"). You can get your own folder that is synched up with it so you can get these changes through a simple action ("update").

The DoC SVN repository is available HERE.

Setting up your local repository

1) Download and install Tortoise SVN
2) Right-click on your Beyond the Sword\Mods folder and choose "SVN Checkout"
3) In the prompt, enter the following as "URL of repository": https://subversion.assembla.com/svn/Dawn_of_Civilization/
4) Wait for the download to complete
5) Rename the new folder "Dawn_of_Civilization" to "RFC Dawn of Civilization"

Your folder is on the current state of the online repository and you are ready to play. To get new changes, simply right-click it and select "SVN Update".

The download is rejected because of insufficient permission
This is a problem on your side, the online repository is public. Likely you don't have permission to create a new folder in the directory in question. In that case, try to do the checkout in another folder (desktop) and move it to the Mods folder afterwards.

The online repository is not available
The repository is on a free hoster, which means downtimes are not out of the question. Please be patient and try again later.

Updates don't work because of a conflict
Conflicts mean that a local file has been changed somehow. The conflict arises because the SVN client cannot decide between the local change and the change about to be downloaded. Since you likely want my change, this can be solved by deleting the files in conflict. They can be identified by the yellow or red (instead of the usual green) symbols. The update will restore all deleted files.

Can I keep my normal version of the mod while using the SVN?
Yes, just rename the other folder to something else in the meantime. The mod you want to play always has to be called "RFC Dawn of Civilization" to work.

Please not that development version means development version. Think of it as a public beta. New updates may introduce bugs, some of them critical. Updating can also break the compatibility with save games from a previous revision. You are using this at your own risk, and I will not always be able to immediately take care of these problems. Note that you can always use "SVN -> Update to revision" to return to a more stable revision.

So,what are the plans?and can i use the old SVN to get these upcoming updates?

Yes, nothing has changed for SVN users. The release is nothing but one SVN revision uploaded to a server.

I have them, thanks for asking.

Good, mostly.

:mad: please answer with full and completely explained sentences

This is a full sentence. Explanation for this sentence: I currently do not want to share my plans.

Let him rest. v1.12 is so full of new features compared to v1.11 and older. I think that new ideas and development can wait for a while.

Wait,is it like the lastest SVN version or no?different?

Why did you suddenly decide to change the formatting of the stickied threads?

What do you mean by formatting? I always wanted to rewrite the main thread and I thought it made sense to get rid of some dead weight.

You said you wanted to rewrite the spawning of civs.

What does this entail, and what affects will it have?
Similar to when I redid Congresses: I'll start by throwing out all the old code and recreate the entire system from scratch. Once I know how everything works together, I can start making changes. It's mostly about two things here:

1) Change the way a new civ establishing itself. Especially in a way that is less annoying than the current desertion mechanism. It should become harder to completely destroy a recently spawned civilization but more manageable to keep some of your cities that they want to flip.
2) Diversify how civilizations can spawn depending on historical context. No solid ideas so far.

Similar to when I redid Congresses: I'll start by throwing out all the old code and recreate the entire system from scratch. Once I know how everything works together, I can start making changes. It's mostly about two things here:

1) Change the way a new civ establishing itself. Especially in a way that is less annoying than the current desertion mechanism. It should become harder to completely destroy a recently spawned civilization but more manageable to keep some of your cities that they want to flip.
2) Diversify how civilizations can spawn depending on historical context. No solid ideas so far.

What about my decolonization idea? I'm getting a bit busy right now, but I will try to mod it. Responding to your earlier question about the spawning from the perspective of the colonial civ, the human player would just spawn normally.

I got a question, not a suggestion because I don't really mind but...

Are you planning on incorporating player mods into the game if they're good enough? For example the Dynamic Civ Names and the 2 UU and 2 UB, the Decolonization idea as mrrandomplayer said and Sweden/Fatimids?

Idea about making close-proximity cities better:

- Eliminate cities get resource yields
- Can now build improvements on city tiles provided it is not on a bonus resource (I believe this should be possible since one can WB improvements on top of cities)
- All city tiles inside BFC are worked for free

Not quite a full solution since it does nothing for 3-spaced cities, but I think it could go a long way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom