G-Minor XCI

Peets

Emperor
Hall of Fame Staff
While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

(*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!

Settings:
  • Expansion: Brave New World
  • Victory Condition: Culture (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: Warlord
  • Map Size: Large
  • Map Type: Archipelago
  • Speed: Quick
  • Leader: Songhai (Askia)
  • Opponents: Any
  • Version: SV8
  • Date: 16th December 2014 to 1st January 2015
The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

Never played an archipelago. And on Quick. On a Large map.

GM culture bomb will not work I think, between having to tech Optics to meet first civ and the quick speed which slows down conquest. Unless you have an AI that spawns in the same island as you, and I believe that never happens.

SS? Yes I think that may work. Maybe optimized combined with total war and the gifting strategy with Alex. Interesting gauntlet.

I almost hope that SS won't work and we have to play this game the traditional way. But that's wishful thinking.

Trireme rush might work for the GM bomb if your neighbour builds the monument late I think. GM bombs for 67 tourism on Quick if I remember correctly.

Not sure it's even worth trying though, plain SS could be superior on this map anyway.

Trireme rush might work for the GM bomb if your neighbour builds the monument late I think. GM bombs for 67 tourism on Quick if I remember correctly.

Not sure it's even worth trying though, plain SS could be superior on this map anyway.

Ah yes I keep forgetting triremes are a melee unit. Um in an ideal world let's see Pottery + Sailing 18 turns, build 1 trireme takes you to turn 22-23, first civ found 5 trireme turns away, 27, build another 4 triremes @ 4 turns average per trireme t36, sail and conquest add 5 turns, t41. That like 62 standard. Barely possible. And then conquer another 6 civs on a large map, at least another 50 turns unless you are very lucky, takes you to 91 on quick, like 135 standard. Maybe a little less, say 125 standard equivalent if you are lucky with a tech ruin early on and you almost have to be as by quick t30 civs seem to be over 100.

Too complex, too risky. With infinite time for rerolls, just barely maybe. Agree, SS is the way to go I think as I think with SS you can reliably win by t100-110 on quick, maybe less, if played well.

Just played first 90 turns of a test game. My post above is crap. Quick makes the large map even larger. I will run a few test games and review those times. I even forgot that a larger map has more Civs. Faith generation is faster due to less costly faith buys and cheaper production buildings and wonders, but so does culture generation. And tourism generation is faster but not as much speeded up as the rest as the cheaper building times are irrelevant in SS. Plus I am completely unfamiliar with Warlord difficulty level.

Back to the drawing board.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=413354&page=23

Can we please post the HoF Update Page minus the results one day before the previous Gauntlet is complete??(Then add the previous months results whenever you have time)

If the HoF update is unavailable, a possible solution could be a "Preview". The settings for the upcoming Gauntlet(s) could be announced on the current Minor/Major, so everyone would be informed well before the deadline.

This part is what I am referring to,...

On HoF Q&A, or Gauntlet Suggestions please...Thanks guys :thumbsup:

First try t104 Sacred Sites. One of the main obstacles is finding the civs quickly enough, my map had a couple of dead ends which slowed me down a bit. I also should've grown my cities right after they became religious to get Civil Service much, much sooner.

Cannot contribute a benchmark yet as I gave up on my test game when it looked as if it was going to be a 160ish game. I am on the second try on t70 but I have not yet met all the guys, so not looking good. May have to give a higher priority to sailing and start building triremes much earlier. I will contribute a benchmark as soon as I finish a game.

T132. Should have been 115 but made a couple really stupid mistakes. Sub100 possible with a little luck. I take back my comment, not a very interesting gauntlet. I will try a couple more times and that's it. Domination not an option unless the runaway is close, SS is the most powerful strategy

Same here, I think I'll try once more maybe and then play different setups instead. The recent VVV discussions have been very inspiring. :)

The recent VVV discussions have been very inspiring. :)

Me too - although I can't say I understand the scoring I see I've some categories to fill!

This one ticked quick, large and Songhai for me :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me too - although I can't say I understand the scoring I see I've some categories to fill!

This one ticked quick, large and Songhai for me :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check Cromagnus posts in the HOF questions and answers thread, in response to NiceOneEmlyn questions, extremely enlightening. Need to build your own spreadsheet though:D

t106 SS. Should have been under 100, but miscalculated, thought Arabia was going to be the last civ to influence, but it was Russia instead that run away in the last part of the game, so cultured bombed the wrong civ. I will try once more and that's it. The other miscalculation, interestingly Enrico actually spawned in the same macro island as I, as a knee jerk reaction I focused on archery and conquered him before he got the 100 tourism, forgetting that will never work as the map is too big and often too blocked. This made me lose a few turns too.
Spoiler :
Screen Shot 2014-12-22 at 1.01.18 PM.jpg

t101. Should have been 98, but I gifted Rabat to Enrico to GM bomb him without realizing that city was not built by me, and of course he liberated, so Al-Mansur was back in the game!:mad:

I wish swearing was allowed. &%&$#$#!!!

I also made another mistake, that I paid dearly (at least 3 turns). I needlessly DoW Al-Mansur while I had a DoF, and that cost me Open Borders with everybody else when I needed them. He was last in culture and I really did not need his capital, could have waited another 4 turns for DoF to expire, but I got impatient.

Anyway, sub100 is totally doable reliably. Maybe sub90 too, but would need a faith wonder or something like that.

I think this is my last try, although I don't really have other games to play and I want that sub100, so maybe one last try.:)

Spoiler :
Screen Shot 2014-12-23 at 1.56.43 PM.jpg

Nicely done, a shame about the gifted city though. I know those little mistakes can be rather frustrating... And yeah, sub-90 should be doable.

Second and last try for this gauntlet, t91 victory. Was influential with all except Assyria by t88. Better exploration this time - met the last civ on t68 I think, and hit Reformation at about the same time.

Spoiler :

Only T150. It took me ages to find the last Civ (maybe I should have had more than just 3 triremes scouting around?), and it was the first time trying Sacred Sites. In hindsight I shouldn't have built a lot of useless stuff, but I'm still trying to ditch bad habbits.

Only T150. It took me ages to find the last Civ (maybe I should have had more than just 3 triremes scouting around?), and it was the first time trying Sacred Sites. In hindsight I shouldn't have built a lot of useless stuff, but I'm still trying to ditch bad habbits.

I usually have 4 and i get them out as soon as possible. As for buildings only faith and culture (monument and mud mosques). I build GL in the capital, that's probably a mistake, just building the library and Stonehenge is probably enough. Only Monument, mud mosque and shrine in the expos. But I still don't have the perfect formula.

Very impressive result Vadalaz. Inspires me to try once again (will be my 4th!). This time with DoWs, see if that speeds exploration a little.

Top Bottom