[BtS] American Civil War

Resolved, that England must be included in the game. However, do not include Europe in the map. One thing you could do instead is make Canada part of Britain, which it was, and instead of giving them reinforcements like in the revolutionary campaign, you could make production much easier for Canada. For example, riflemen could be one half or one third the cost so it is not necessary for Europe to be in the map

Another important aspect must be that England has a very powerful navy. One that can rival the North, because England had the most powerful navy in the world at that time. That could lead to interesting scenarios if England joined the war and started breaking the Northern blockade.

Yes, that is true. I agree then, the English navy should be all powerful, that would be most realistic. The only turning point would be the ironclads being built, that could slowly turn the tide down the war. But England's navy was far superior than anyone in the world.

Thanks for your interest and discussions.... the map is coming along nicely (you can track the maps progress in kevinman's "accurate earth" thread)....

I'll probably spend most the day playing/modding civ4.

We still have a long way to go, for all the original plans, but should have a decent playable scenario early/mid June, then work will continue and a complete version will be done sometime afterward.

I was going to release some other rough version, but its just a waste, its still for novelty, so I'll just wait until something actually playable and fun is release-able.

Shiggs

Please Shiggs, please tell me you will have England in the mod though. Can you make sure they have nice bright red uniforms? This is the most important thing in the game. The English must be in the game with nice red uniforms, just like in the movies ^=======^ Everything else is secondary.

DoubleRD77 - England will not be in the game.......however Great Britain will be ;)

sangeli - for units, its still a work-in-progress, but here's a rough list I can make off the top of my head and some notes........., and going back and reading previous post in the old thread, and some more research .........:mischief:

***Note that any units past Riflemen have been removed, in fact the entire modern age has been completely removed without a trace. All Unique Units, except for the ones pertaining to civs still in the mod have been removed. They will be modified/removed eventually. All older age units are still there, but just to give the tech tree some background, and for some natives, and barbarians.

***Note that lots of the new units will have flavor, for example, instead of having "Union Cavalry" and "Confederate Cavalry", there will only be "Cavalry", yet they will have correct uniforms for each nation. Both Union and Confederates will have many unique units though, most of which have not been completely decided.

Remember this is still a rough version, not everything has been worked out, and I'm up for suggestions.

----------------------------------------------------------

Special Units:

Lieutenant - similar to Great General, except can be built (won't spawn with XP), but only in a city with a military academy.

Camp - Just like the mongol camp unit (from the fireaxis scenario), except slightly modified. (so far only Sioux uses it; it replaces settler as free unit)

Balloon - A recon unit... similar to the airship, but without its attack capabilities.

Guerrilla - a spy-like unit, that can also attack and wreak havoc.

Bushwacker - Confederate UU, which replaces the Guerrilla.

Jayhawker - Union UU, which replaces the Guerrilla.

Field Surgeon - helps heal units nearby, requires hospital and undecided tech(s).

***All other stuff like workers, settlers ect. are still there. Although, both will cost more, and building settlers will be extremely limited if not disabled. Also the "Prophet" and "Great Prophet" have been changed to "Ideologist" and "Great Ideologist", respectively. All other citizens are the same.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Naval Units:

Monitor - unique unit for the Union. Replaces ironclad.

3 (Flavored) Galleon's - 1 each for Spain, Great Britain, and France.

Hospital Ship
- a river steamboat converted for military/hospital use.

Early Submarine - similar to that of the Confederate, H. L. Hunley.

Also stuff like privateers, frigates, ect. will still be there.

Infantry Units:

Zouaves - mainly for France, but it'll be possible for other countries to get them.

Brunswick Rifleman - uses muzzle loading, percussion rifle. Imported from England.

Henry Rifleman - uses lever-action, tubular magazine breech-loading rifle.

Fayetteville Rifleman - uses a 2 banded rifled musket of rifle length. Confederate Unique Unit. Replaces the "55' Springfield Rifleman".

Sharpshooter - uses a Sharps Rifle (no joke :crazyeye:), what they call a falling block rifle, which could use a standard percussion cap, and had an advanced pellet prime feed, and breech loading mechanism, which made it one of the most lethal rifle's of its day, not to mention one of the easiest to operate on horseback. Used extensively by the U.S. Army Sharpshooters and Cavlarymen, and anyone who could get their hands on one.

Hall Rifleman - uses a single-shot breech loading rifle, which used a falling breech and could use either a flint lock or percussion cap system.

Spencer Rifleman - uses a manually operated lever-action, repeating rifle fed from a tube magazine with cartridges.

55' Springfield Rifleman - uses a Rifle-Musket, with a unique tape primer, which would be done away with on the 1861 model.

61' Springfield Rifleman - a rifled musket, and the most widely used weapon by the Union in the civil war, favored for its range, accuracy, and reliability.

63' Springfield Rifleman - essentially the same as 1861 model, with some minor adjustments.

68' Springfield Rifleman
- uses the trapdoor breechblock design developed by Erskine S. Allin.

Gatling Gun - a gun with multiple firing pins and breeches connected to multiple rotating barrels.

Grenadier - same name (for now), but slightly different than old version, uses a Ketchum Grenade....

Enfield Rifleman - uses the 1853 Enfield Rifle, popular on both sides, imported from England.

and maybe just maybe the 73' Springfield Rifleman - the first standard-issued breech-loading rifle for the United States Army.

Mounted Units:

Dragoons - the traditional name for a soldier trained to fight on foot but who transports himself on horseback.

Sharps Cavalry - uses a Sharps Carbine (see above, Sharps Rifle). Fights mounted instead of dismounting for combat.

Spencer Cavalry - uses a Spencer Carbine (see above, Spencer Rifle). Similar to Sharps Cavalry, slightly different values (undecided).

Mounted Infantry - soldiers who rode horses instead of marching, but actually fought on foot with rifles. Another improvement of the Dragoon, but more advanced, with better weaponry.

Partisan Ranger - similar to the guerrilla unit(s) except mounted (faster).

Supply Units:

Limber - two wheeled horse carriage that carried a war chest, along
with a gun and sometimes a caisson.

Caisson - two wheeled horse carriage that carried ammunition and a spare wheel.

Field Artillery Units:

10lb Parrot Rifle - a type of muzzle loading rifled-bore artillery. Made of iron.

10lb Brooke Rifle - the Confederate version of the Parrot Rifle, essentially the same.

20lb Parrot Rifle - larger version.

20lb Brooke Rifle - larger version.

57' 12lb Napoleon - made of bronze.

12lb Howitzer - shorter barrel and higher trajectory cannon. made of bronze.

24lb Howitzer - larger version.

Ordinance Rifle - the most widely used rifled gun during the war, made of iron.

12lb Whitworth Rifle
- rare during the war, but was a pre-cursor to modern artillery, as it was breech loading, and had the greatest distance of any gun used in the war, as well as exceptional accuracy.

Siege Artillery Units:

coming soon...

perhaps more adjustments/additions to come, I'm open for suggestions/comments...

Shiggs

Make sure to have a really LONG tech tree to make it fun. It can be a very detailed tech tree of the civil war era. Repeating rifles were made during the era, be sure to have a tech for that. They just were not used much because the army had already bought the crappy one shotters and did not want to fork out the money. Different types of artillery too, like bombardment artillery vs. field artillery. You could also have a tech that allows black union troops for the north. Emancipation could be a tech or something for union which maybe gives them a certain amount of free black divisions are something like that. That could be a really interesting advantage and part in the game. Most important of all though, the British must have really nice red uniforms. Please make that priority one for the game.

right on, you obviously haven't checked out the mod much. There are over 50 new technologies, repeating rifle is one of them. So is Emancipation.

We haven't discussed Siege Artillery (thats the proper name) much. I want to include some of that also, but haven't worked out all the details.

I'll do my best to have all nations and units with proper uniforms.

Shiggs

Wow shiggs, I love the unit list. I think it is great that you have chosen to be diverse in the line of infantry so that we have lots of options and techs. Also, the amount of field artillery is uplifting, at least for me. As for scenarios, I would like to see what you have done, or what you have in mind. If you are stuck on something or have to make a decision that you're not sure about, just ask the forum faithfuls and we'll help you out. Keep up the good workd :)

for the finished product, there will probably only be 1 really refined scenario. This is because I'll be using python to directly tie in with plots on the map, so using different maps/start dates is most likely out of the question. It'll start around Feb. 1861, many of the exact details haven't been worked out quite yet.

It'll probably be about 2-3 weeks for an update (I'm hoping for around mid-June), it will not be really refined yet, but work will continue until it is one of the grandest scenario/mods out there ;)

I wasn't really planning on it, but ended up getting tickets for the race this weekend (the Indy 500, for those who do not know, the biggest single day event in the world for 50+ years), so that will eat up a little time, I apologize... but its still being thought about, and worked on regularly.

Shiggs

I can't download it, something about too many free downloads (even though I never go to File Factory)

try the mirror.... I won't be using file factory any more after the next update.

Shiggs, how is progress comming about? Have you designed the uniforms yet for the British? Are they very nice, bright and red? The muskets should be very shiny and the boots a nice black with a high gloss. Perhaps we can even have a stripe going through the pants that their infantry will wear. They could also have a flag bearer with the British colors mixed in with the infantry unit. This is the most important part of the game. Everything else is secondary.

No, sorry to report that I haven't worked on this particular project much this week. However, I have been working furiously on a new mod/scenario; Civilization Universailis, a mod focusing on Europe in the high middle ages... its much simpler than this mod for now, Ive most just added a bunch of civs and planted it all out on a map.... but if your into historical scenarios, keep watching, cause thats what I'll be producing.

dont worry though, I'll get back to the Civil War mod soon :)

Civilization Universailis, a mod focusing on Europe in the high middle ages... its much simpler than this mod for now, Ive most just added a bunch of civs and planted it all out on a map.... but if your into historical scenarios, keep watching, cause thats what I'll be producing.

Cool, Shiggs! :thumbsup:

Hey Shiggs... I'm sorry to admit I've been busy too... my workload right now (outside of civ4) is quite gigantic... I am booking work off the next two days just to get it done. I am really going to be in big trouble if I don't get it done; most work is done Friday, so I think you can expect the map Monday or Tuesday.

Over the weekend I did manage to get done all art and XML. I'm just going to have to focus this weekend and get North Mexico done, and finish assigning the different types of plains.

I do hope that once the map is delivered that we get the first update of the revolution out, as originally planned, midJune being ok. I think it has the potential to be a very good mod/scenario. I realize there's not much you can do without the map, but once you have it, it's always a good idea to finish one thing before you work on another, rather than work on a lot of stuff like I've been trying to do with schoolwork.

The other concern is that the mod is almost exactly 100MB (just over). Most of this is generated by the HUGE amount of artwork that went into my mod. While I don't think this large size should cause much of a problem, this may or may not make you want to rethink how I upload it for you to have. (It isn't an interfering kind of bulk; I do rely on all this artwork, mostly my own, to make the map look really nice)

I would suggest an MSN sharing folder or the like to get it to you. Do you know how long it takes to upload a large file onto an uploads website like mediafire? And does this cost any money whatsoever (please stick to free sharing)?

I look forward to getting this to you, and later developping a dynamic, fully functional winter. That alone should make this a very desirable mod.

Kevin

cool, that sounds good. I'm not sure if media fire will allow over 100mb yet (for free). I think filefront will though. The overall size for me is not a big deal. I have cable, and I'll continue to package the mod in a compressed, self-extracting exe, so that helps out people, they just have to click "next" a few times and start mod.

Though I don't want it to get ridiculous, the download is already at 132.2mb, and it actually requires 200 something mb of hard drive space. I may trim some things to keep it from being too large.

Top Bottom