Five questions for masters

soprismb

Chieftain
I'm a newbie to the site, awesome wealth of info--you guys are the best!!

I'm about to takle the diety levels. I need help with the following questions:

1. Is the Oracle worth pursuing? It's an expensive wonder and it SEEMS (strictly surmising) that the combat points total is a pretty good indicator anyway as to who wins.

2. Are the era bonuses cumulative? I know some aren't, like for example Roman 1/2 price roads--they're not available in the modern era--but others are, like the Aztec 50% gold. Am I wrong there?

3. What is the optimum amount of cities? I know this has been covered but I'd like to hear it again from a pro--I want to know what everyone prefers.

4. I've heard that the multiplayer isn't fun because there are a lot of guys that are just so good that they end up killing players like me who, while decent, aren't good enough to play with the best. Anyone know how to make MP better?

5. When can I expect the eras to change? For example I'm the Germans in my game and I need to know when the 2% gold takes over in the modern era...can you guys tell me what triggers EACH of the eras? I looked it up in the game guide and I can't find anything.

Thanks...you guys rule.

I'm a newbie to the site, awesome wealth of info--you guys are the best!!

I'm about to takle the diety levels. I need help with the following questions:

1. Is the Oracle worth pursuing? It's an expensive wonder and it SEEMS (strictly surmising) that the combat points total is a pretty good indicator anyway as to who wins.

I would say no. Typically id rather build units in the earlier stages if the game and dont build wonders unless i get a great builder or at the end of the game when i just need something for my factories to stay occupied with.

2. Are the era bonuses cumulative? I know some aren't, like for example Roman 1/2 price roads--they're not available in the modern era--but others are, like the Aztec 50% gold. Am I wrong there?

I believe they are NOT cumulative.

3. What is the optimum amount of cities? I know this has been covered but I'd like to hear it again from a pro--I want to know what everyone prefers.

I usually go ape and build cities on any free lands. More cities = more tech = faster win... but I think the correct answer to your question is that it depends on your playing style. I like to rush early, then hammer the tech.

4. I've heard that the multiplayer isn't fun because there are a lot of guys that are just so good that they end up killing players like me who, while decent, aren't good enough to play with the best. Anyone know how to make MP better?

MP is all about coming up with a good strategy and using it affectively. Yeah MP can be frustrating when you play a 3 hr game and then lose in the final turns because someone built the world bank the turn before your guys got to Alpha Centauri, but thats what makes you a better player. Ive learned alot from some of the "best" guys which I implement into my own strategy.

5. When can I expect the eras to change? For example I'm the Germans in my game and I need to know when the 2% gold takes over in the modern era...can you guys tell me what triggers EACH of the eras? I looked it up in the game guide and I can't find anything.

Eras change when you get the correct number of techs. There is no other trigger that I know of.

Thanks...you guys rule.

Okay so going back to my question on Eras--then what number of techs make EACH era? Any ideas? Is it just, "Okay, he's at invention, we'll move him to modern?"

Thanks so much for your reply.

Hi Soprismb,
Regarding the era advancement you need to research a certain number of Techs for each new era. The number of techs are:
Ancient Era - 0 Techs
Medieval Era - 5 Techs
Industrial Era - 14 Techs
Modern Era - 24 Techs

Regarding the era bonuses, they are all cumulative.

Early on in the game you need to build your army or cities, depending on your strategy. In almost all cases the Oracle is not worth pursuing. Rely on your own ability to guesstimate what kind of defense the enemy has instead of using the Oracle.

Regarging cities, I would say, the more the better as a general rule, but you need to balance the cost of building a settler. Generally grow your empire during the first two eras and preferrably during republic leadership. Build settlers in small cities because it is cheaper to regain the original size.

You are going to diety and you didn't know that era bonuses are cumulative? The Romans get half-price roads throughout the whole game.
Just to make it apparent to newbies:
ALL ERA BONUSES ARE CUMULATIVE
There. Now anyone who looks through this thread will see it.

My take on your other questions:
The Oracle is sort of a waste of hammers on higher difficulties, benefit not so great and it gets obsolete realy fast.

And for cities, just build as many as you can as long as you could adequatly protect them. Build more when you are China and build them faster if you have Republic. I like Russia for higher difficulties because the AI is almost always invading and they are full of defensive bonuses to protect a myrad of cities. Try to get republic realy fast, it is very useful.

Multiplayer: Because of the upright stupidity of the game's AIs, multiplayer seems generaly harder than Diety level (whenever I can find a MP match). If your problem is MP difficulty, just play the real difficutly levels to practice.

Top Bottom