Graphic problems - Units and gray stuff..

Konstabel Bach

Chieftain
I've changed the apperance of most units and flags, and now my map looks wierd, why is that?
I've uploaded my Units.bmp, Cities.bmp and a screenshot of my problem...

Attachments

• WHY.bmp
    233.6 KB · Views: 231
  • CITIES.GIF
    CITIES.GIF
    45.9 KB · Views: 328
  • Units.zip
    65.4 KB · Views: 240
Ive had this problem the only solution I know is to colour all those triangle shapes in the graphics files that purple colour.

Replace all grey area's in the cities.gif with pink, like this ;)
the grey around the unit is beacause of the fortify graphic, which i also coloured pink. pink or purple, are the only colours you want in the triangles ;)

Attachments

• CITIES.GIF
    CITIES.GIF
    42 KB · Views: 426
I think the reason it works is because the gray trienagles which are useually invisible in the game for some reason become visible. Im not sure why exactly this happen but I think it might be somthing to do with what format you save it in.

This question gets asked all the time.

Civ2 uses an 8-bit (256-colour) indexed (ie, numbered) palette. In the game, indices 253 and 255 are always transparent, regardless of colour. For the cities file, index 255 is exactly the same colour as index 16 (visible) - a medium grey (#878787). When you copy, paste or recolour using this colour, your graphics editor will only read the colour value, not the index number. As a result the invisible grey (index 255) will be assigned index 16 and thus become visible.

Solutions:

1. Change the offending area to the other transparent colour: index 253 – always magenta (the pink stuff). This is the method Broken_Erika described. The problem with this is that it can blank artists' signatures.

2. Before you start editing, change the palette. Either load a palette from one of the other graphics files, such as units or terrain (they don't use grey for index 255), using a 'maintain indexes' option, or edit the existing palette and change index 255 to some other colour not already found in the palette. You'll require something better than MS Paint to do this.

3. You can use a trick Wobbegong passed on to me. Use any color you want in the upper left corner of the icon's square in cities.bmp. That color will become invisible in the game. Keeps sigs visible. Works at least for ToT and, IIRC, earlier versions as well.

Attachments

• Charletonville.png
    Charletonville.png
    3.6 KB · Views: 508
Boco said:
3. You can use a trick Wobbegong passed on to me. Use any color you want in the upper left corner of the icon's square in cities.bmp. That color will become invisible in the game. Keeps sigs visible. Works at least for ToT and, IIRC, earlier versions as well.
That's definitely a ToT-only method. I figure the reason they implemented those transparent marker pixels is because ToT no longer uses an indexed palette. Having said that, in most graphics files magenta is transparent by default.

I was actually halfway through writing a short guide on transparent colours in ToT and was busily hunting down the locations of the marker pixels in various graphics files. They can be a pain in the arse when you don't know where they are – you start noticing chunks of your graphics 'missing' in the game. Even ToT's developers messed up on several occasions.

Boco said:
Actually, it's "Gahr Ez Birj", a hidden city in an update of El Aurens that I'm plodding along with. :mischief:
:rolleyes::D

Wobbegong said:
This question gets asked all the time.
Speaking of which, here it is again.

:hmm: Well that would explain why you didn't list it. Too bad, though. I usually find it very convenient.

Sadly, neither 'Ka tafesh' nor 'Tak um Sah' survived early design changes. :cry: Still have El Ottok, though. :mischief:

Just out of curiosity, what Easter Eggs have other designers put in their scens?

Well thnx for the help, I'm sorry if you're tired of answering the same questions over and over again, but this place is so darn big! I get lost in the massive number of posts...

Don't sweat it! Gotta learn somewhere. I've tested W's patience with posts displaying far more ignorance than yours. Still, if you haven't already, take a look at the guides found in the top link. They can save you a lot of frustration.

Konstabel Bach said:
Well thnx for the help, I'm sorry if you're tired of answering the same questions over and over again, but this place is so darn big! I get lost in the massive number of posts...
No need to apologise; I was just pointing out that your problem isn't an isolated case. The search function doesn't work in these forums, so repeat questions are to be expected - especially from new posters. I've only answered this question once before and that was at Apolyton. Solution 1 is the most common response.

Boco said:
I've tested W's patience with posts displaying far more ignorance than yours. Still, if you haven't already, take a look at the guides found in the top link. They can save you a lot of frustration.
Actually, I've never been bothered by your questions. I'd always figured you for being one of the best informed posters. You actually read articles from SL and CoC, and threads from the strategy forums and GL, as well as perform your own tests. :goodjob:

OK, I've bad experiences with just these type of questions from other forum (People yelling NOOB and calling me stupid and so on)
It's nice to know that there are still decent forums out there...
Anyway i was wondering, I've been changin the names of civs in the rules.txt
But i can't seem to reduce to number of civs... If I just leave some out the game chrashes.. :(
I've uploaded the .txt so you might have a look, please keep in mind that it's a work in progress

Attachments

• RULES.txt
    25.2 KB · Views: 115
Konstabel Bach said:
It's nice to know that there are still decent forums out there...
This is a very nice place, although not as lively in this particular section as in the era before CivIII...
Anyway i was wondering, I've been changin the names of civs in the rules.txt
But i can't seem to reduce to number of civs... If I just leave some out the game chrashes.. :(
I've uploaded the .txt so you might have a look, please keep in mind that it's a work in progress
You need to start the game with the number of civs you need - you cannot change the number of lines in Rules.txt!! (this will always make the game crash). Minimum is 3 players/civs. If you start the game out with more civs that you need (for example, if you wish only two civs) - you need to destroy them while setting up the scenario (like wiping out their sole settler). Be careful though, as they cannot usually be restored, if they have been wiped out.

Where can you find the latest compilation of hex-editing wisdom? I have an older version of Allard's rtf that hints that the active civ count can be hexed.
2. START OF SAVED GAME FILE

(source Allard Höfelt)
(Captain Nemo found out the civs that are in play in byte 2E)
46 enumeration of all civs still in play [binary]
eg. 1001 1101 means: barbarians alive, civ 3 alive, civ 4,5 and 7 alive.

Is there a better free hex editor than A.X.E. (older freeware version)?

If you've a lot at stake, you might, if it's possible, convince a hex-editing whiz to help you. If not just start over as MB suggests.

Morten blåbjerg Danks/svensk/norsk?
Anyway, thanks; it would be easier if you could just edit it in the rules.txt or in the game.txt.. I addmit that it was a long shot... :blush:
The simple reason for me wanting to reduce the number of civs in the rules is that I've moddified the flags for each civ, and so I had to select my opponents each time, and further more each time there is a revoulution the unwanted civs appear (Zulu, Mongols ect.) under a, let's say, spanish banner... :cry:
Anyway, my solution was to take all the civs of one color and make 3 identical civs in each color so that the choices for let's say red opponent is : Russia, Russia and Russia... Simple, eh? :rolleyes:

Boco said:

Hey, you gave Sir Bobby a pitch to play on Boco. Nice :goodjob:

Top Bottom