Pyramids
Great Wall
Sun Tzu's
Sistine
Copernicus
Smith's Trading Co.
Newton's
Js Bach's

What's going on, Egyptian missed Shakespeare's Theatre.

Fighting Rifleman with Musketeer !
Who said that Musketeer was not a good UU?

Can not wait for the next serial, wish you the best.

Now that I have Sistine's I can turn luxury down from 20% to 0%.

1415-Send troops towards Memphis.

1420-Troops just outside Memphis.

1425-Kill 5 riflemen in Memphis.
lose 1 musketeer

capture 1 catapult.
Now have Great Lighthouse and Magellan's.
Leave 20 musketeers in Memphis to quell resistance. Advance towards other cities.

The satlpeter is now connected to my home continent and I can build musketeers at home instead of building pikemen to send to Heliopolis to be upgraded. I'm still using catapults, though, since I don't have metallurgy. Still nobody to trade with.

I have tech parity with everyone (or ahead of them) except Egypt who is at least up to communism (but skipped Free Artistry-they may have democracy, I don't know as they don't have a chance to switch to it anyways).

Here is the culture graph:

Mongols have a huge land mass, but kept on skipping Literature until fairly recently. I built temple, colloseum, cathedral in all my cities. Those improvements helped add culture and make my people happy so I didn't need the luxury tax much and didn't need to spend time building libraries to catch up in culture.

I like that map...couldja post a save of it once ur done? Good story, btw. Keep up the good work! :goodjob:

1435-Kill 3 riflemen in Elephantine capturing it.
Lose 2 musketeers.
Steal astronomy from Mongols (safely-2616 gold).

1440-Kill 3 riflemen in Pi-ramesses, capturing it.
Capture a catapult.

1450-Notice Arabia still lacks currency. A couple civs still lack literature.

1455-kill 3 riflemen in El-Amarna, capturing it and getting spices (but spices aren't connected to my other cities yet, due to culture).

1460-Rifleman appears between El-Amarna and Elephantine.
Lose 1 musketeer, but use another one to kill it.

IBT-Injured musketeer kills a rifleman who tried attacking it from across a river.
Elephantine's culture expands, so now our spices are connected to all cities.

1465-Kill 3 riflemen in Abydos, capturing it.
Lose 2 musketeers.
Capture a catapult.
Mongols now have navigation.

1485-Kill 3 riflemen in Asyut, capturing it.
Lose 1 musketeer.
capture a catapult.

1500-Kill 3 riflemen in Alexandria, capturing it
capture a catapult.

1510-Kill 3 riflemen in Hieraconpolis, capturing it.
Kill 1 more rifleman outside town.
Steal Metallurgy from Mongols (2748 gold).
Don't have enough money to upgrade many catapults, so keep sending the bulk of the catapults at the other Egypt cities.

1525-Notice I have same amount of culture as Egypt (or very close to it), and I can afford to do without the colloseums (no happiness problems in size 12 cities), so I sell off all colloseums.
Kill 3 riflemen in Byblos, capturing it.

1530-upgrade 62 catapults.
Kill 3 riflemen in Avaris, capturing it.
lose 2 musketeers

1545-Kill 3 riflemen in Lisht, capturing it.
Lose 1 musketeer
Capture a catapult.
The Egyptians have been chased off their starting continent and their capital is now far away on an island by the Aztecs.

1555-Kill 1 spearman in Busiris
lose 1 spearman
destroy a galleon in Busiris when it was captured.

1570-Kill 1 musketman in El-Ashmunein, capturing it and destroying a caravel.
Try to steal technology from Mongols (carefully-2147 gold), and fail but he does not declare war.

1575-Kill 1 spearman in Buto, auto-razing it.
lose 1 musketeer.
Kill 1 warrior in Edfu, auto-razing it and destroying a caravel.

1580-Kill 1 elite spearman in Pithom, auto-razing it.
Egypt only has the 1 city by the Aztecs left.

1585-Steal Banking from the Mongols (carefully-2157 gold).

1600-Upgrade another 44 catapults.

1605-Contact Iroquois. Give them WM, for his WM, 192 gold.
Iroquois lacks literature, Monarchy, and all middle age techs.
Geez, I wonder why. He is limited to only 6 cities.

1610-Mongols just got physics. They also have navigation and military tradition.
Cancel alliance against Egypt. Make sure I have no units in Mongol territory. Declare war.
Unload 32 musketeers, 55 cannons by Bayanhonger this turn, with more reinforcements on the way.

I should note here, that this game is suffering from the max # of units (4.096 for all civs combined). This is hurting me and the AI, but I believe it was hurting Egypt more so than me. Once you hit the max # of units, you still get notification that you built a unit, but the unit simply does not appear. I believe this is one reason Egypt had hardly any re-inforcements at all after I killed their SODs. All they had was the usual 3 defensive units/city.

Also, if you upgrade units (using the shift-U command, otherwise the game crashes), then 1 unit will always dissappear. So I can't upgrade just 1 unit in a turn,otherwise it is pointless. I must upgrade a big group of them so there is less units lost. I guess this is because there is no ID# available, so the unit is unavailable because it wouldn't have an ID#. But once that first unit is gone, the ID# of the old unit is available, so the other units upgrade and get the new ID #'s that are available.

Many times I built 20+ units in a turn, but only got 3 units actually built (depends on the # of AI units lost in between turns I guess).

Great Leaders

From the Egypt war (7):
1210AD
1250AD
1290AD
1320AD
1325AD
1410AD
1425AD

Great, I have 7 armies. However, they are all loaded with 3 units and the leader of the army counts as a fourth unit, so can't load them up into a caravel. I need galleons to transport them.

So the war with Mongols looks like it may be off to a slow start.

1610-see previous post

IBT-Kill 6 longbowmen

1615-kill 2 spears and a longbowman in Nalayh (city on island that had been shared with Egypt), capturing it.
Kill 3 musketmen, 1 longbow in Bayanhonger, capturing it.
Put 12 musketeers in Bayonhonger (size 6, with 2 resisters), leaving the rest to protect the cannons.
Using the new city I captured, I unload another 15-20 cannons and move these cannons to bombard nearby enemy units and kill some more with my musketeers.
Kill 2 longbowmen
1 musketeer
3 spearmen
lose 1 musketeer.

IBT-Mongols bring 7 musketmen, 5 spearman, 15 longbowmen into my territory (split between 2 tiles).

1620-Bombard the smaller stack first.
Kill 7 musketmen, 5 spearmen, 9 longbowmen
Lose 2 musketeers
Generated 4 leaders!
2 of the leaders were in back-back battles.

The Iron Mongol Brain Cramp

yet another example of AI stupidity

This iron resource has been here since the beginning of the game. Yet, they don't bother to hook it up until their culture expanded over it, so that it falls into their territory. They were in the process of hooking up their only iron now in the 1600's just before I declare war on them.

1620-See previous post

IBT-Mongols bring 8 musketmen, 5 spearmen, 17 longbowmen into my territory.

1625-Kill 8 musketmen, 2 spearmen, 10 longbowmen
lose 1 musketeer
Generate another leader.

IBT-Mongols bring 7 musketmen, 2 spearmen, 11 longbowmen into my territory.
Armies defeat 2 longbowmen who attacked

1630-Kill 7 musketmen, 2 spears, 10 longbowmen.
lose 1 musketeer.
Generate another leader.
I now have about 225 cannons/musketeers in Bayanhonger.

IBT-Mongols send 12 musketmen, 3 spearmen, 3 archers, 25 longbowmen to 1 tile.

1635-Kill them all.
Lose 3 musketeers.

IBT-Mongols send 7 musketmen, 22 longbowmen into my territory.

1640-Kill them all.
Also kill 5 musketmen, 2 longbow outside my territory.
Lose 3 musketeers.
Generate 3 leaders.

IBT-Mongols send into my territory 12 musketmen, 32 longbowmen.
My culture expands (grabbing silks), so now on another tile in my territory is 25 musketmen, 1 spearman, 36 longbowmen.

There is 22 Mongol cities on this continent, so as long as I kill 22+ units/turn, I know I'm making progress. But some cities like Uliastay (mostly all still jungle) is obviously not making 1 unit/turn.

I seem to have plenty of cannons, but running a little low on musketeers (filling up armies is one reason). Most of my cities are busy building banks.

This is simply amazing! Please keep it coming. :)

I won't be able to play much at all until monday evening, or tuesday (working).

I've been getting alot of requests for this map. If you want to make a copy of this map, the 'world seed #' is 102506381.

Just go into the editor. Go to 'Map'....Generate Map.
Then select:
Huge
80% Ocean
Archipelago
Arid
Cool 3 billion
No barbarians (barbs won't really affect the shape of the map)

then check the 'world seed' box and enter in the number- 102506381

Note: If any of the map conditions (climate, age, etc.) are different, you will end up with a different looking map. Some changes will still give you the same basic shape of the land, but the terrain will be different. With some changes, the map will look completely different.

By default, 16 starting locations will be put on the map. If you want a different number, then go under 'scenario properties' and change the number of civs. After that you would need to 're-allocate starting locations' (to get only 8 starting locations if using 8 civs), then you would need to 're-allocate resources' (under the 'map' options). If you don't re-allocate the resources then you will end up with too many luxuries and strategic resources on the map (16 iron and 16 dyes for only 8 civs for example- you should normally have about 8 of each for an 8 civ game).

You can keep 're-allocate resources' to get different resource placements, and 're-allocate starting locations' until you get desirable starting placements, or to just add a little variety to the same map.

If you want to make the map to be my version of 'Beyond Sid', then you would go under the 'Edit rules' and go to difficulty levels and rename one of the levels to 'Beyond Sid' and adjust all of the parameters that I listed in my first post.

Note: When I said 3 settlers, that means 3 EXTRA settlers, besides the 1 that everyone starts with on all levels. So under difficulty level, Unit type 1 (settlers) it would be 3, Unit type 2 (workers) it would be 6.

Well, I continue to pound on the Mongols, generating tons of leaders. I'm seriously low on musketeers. I do have plenty of cannons. Not enough cannons to get everything I see down to 1 hp, but more than enough to get the majority of them down (at least the largest stack of units they can ever group together on 1 tile). There are several 1-hp enemy units that I just can't kill because I don't have enough musketeers. I'm starting to pump out more and more musketmen every turn, so re-inforcements are pouring in better.

I reached my max # of armies, so started to disband the armies in Egypt territory that I couldn't transport anyways. When they were all gone and I reached the max # again, I finally did rush a bank.

My armies are using their ZOC to knock a hit point off many units on their way to my city.
I am finally closing off Tosontsengel from any re-inforcements and their injured units will have nowhere to go to heal.

1645-Kill 25 longbowmen,
12 musketmen
lose 1 musketeer

IBT-Mongols shift troops around.
There are now 50 units on the tile closest to my city, and 59 units on the other tile in my territory.

1650-Kill 16 longbowmen,
22 musketmen
lose 4 musketeers

1655-Kill 20 longbowmen,
18 musketmen.
Generate 1 leader.

1660-Kill 25 longbowmen,
18 musketmen
lose 1 musketeer
Generate 1 leader.

1665-Kill 6 longbowmen,
23 musketmen.
Lose 2 musketeers.
Generate 2 leaders.
There is another 40 longbowmen (all with 2 hp) in my territory, but I don't have enough musketeers to kill them.

IBT-Kill 1 warrior (on island in the north).

1670-Chase after all the retreating longbowmen.
Kill 14 longbowmen,
3 musketeers
1 warrior

1675-Kill 13 longbowmen,
9 musketmen

1680-Kill 29 musketmen,
4 longbowmen
lose 2 musketeers
generate 2 leaders

1685-Kill 1 galleon,
1 caravel,
5 longbowmen,
14 musketmen

IBT-Kill 1 caravel
Celts have defeated the Egyptians.

1690-Since the Celts and Aztecs have now met each other, I get them to fight each other. See that the Celts have met the Mongols. Declare war on Aztecs. Get Celts to fight Aztecs and Mongols.
Kill 21 longbowmen
9 musketmen
lose 1 musketeer
generate 1 leader

IBT-kill 1 caravel

1695-Kill 11 longbowmen,
18 musketmen
lose 1 musketeer
generate 1 leader.

IBT-Kill 1 longbowmen,
1 galleon

1700-

1700-Kill 17 longbowmen,
7 musketmen
Generate 2 leaders.

IBT-Longbowmen try to fight their way out of Tosontsengel.
Kill 3 longbowmen, lose 1 army. 100 units pour out of Tosontsengel.

1705-Pillage road to silks and now Mongols are completely isolated from silks.
Kill 7 musketmen,
25 longbowmen
Generate 1 leader.

1710-Mongols are still in Republic.
Kill 11 musketmen,
13 longbowmen
lose 2 musketeers
generate 1 leader

Rush palace in bayanhongor. This is technically using the 'palace-city rank' exploit. But who knows how many games people played and used this by accident. I could try arguing that I am doing this to ensure that this city never flips. My 'excuse' is that I had nothing else to rush anyways. I don't want to build the Pentagon. The pentagon lets you put 4 troops in each army. But then, you wouldn't be able to transport those armies until combustion (transports). And I don't want to have the possibility of accidently loading up an army with too many units.

IBT-Net income jumped 43% from moving the palace. Now making +1055 gpt (was making +738).
Some of my 20 shields/turn cities dropped in production, but the lower corruption for all the other cities was worth it.

1715-Kill 9 musketmen
14 longbowmen
1 warrior
Have some cannons outside Tosontsengel, but no musketeers nearby other than armies.

IBT-Kill 1 galleon

1720-Kill 5 musketmen
Move more cannons to Tosontsengel, move musketeers into mongol territory.

1725-Kill 11 musketmen,
18 longbowmen
1 warrior
Generate 2 leaders (rush a musketeer and ship-hop 1 to finish a marketplace).
Start bombarding Tosontsengel.

IBT-Mongols unload a warrior from a galleon :rolleyes:

1730-Bombard Tosontsengel, exposing 1 hp musketmen.
Mongols now have riflemen! Tosontsengel couldn't upgrade any musketmen to riflemen because I destroyed the barracks. The city is now size 4.

IBT-Kill 1 warrior

1735-Kill 43 longbowmen
1 musketman
Tosont. is down to size 1

Decide to sell off temples (cathedrals + Sistine's still works when temples are sold).
don't need the extra happiness
Have more culture than the Mongols, not quite double the culture of Celts, but double everyone else.

IBT-Kill 2 longbowmen. OMG, they are actually attacking my armies!

1740-Kill 1 rifleman,
1 musketman,
1 warrior,
27 longbowmen
Generate 3 leaders (rush a settler, 2 banks)

IBT-Kill 1 longbowman
1 musketman

1745-1 hp longbowmen are shown as the best defenders in Tosont.
Kill 15 longbowmen in Tosont, capturing it!
Kill 12 longbowmen who had left Tosont.

IBT-Kill 2 longbowmen
lose 1 musketter
Mongols unload another warrior from a galleon. :rolleyes:

1750-Abandon Nalayh. It wasn't worth much, and now Mongols have 4 units on that island that are worthless until/unless the Mongols build a city there at some point in the future (the AI doesn't know how to unload units off of an island that he has no cities on!)

Kill 4 musketmen,
6 longbowmen
lose 1 musketeer
Generate 1 leader.

200 turns to go. Generated 34 leaders so far if I counted right.

34 leaders holy sh.............. wtf this is sweet!

Yeah i think 34 leaders is just a tad more then normal ;)
Just a question Bam... What is the most amount of GLs you've produced in a game?

Yeah i think 34 leaders is just a tad more then normal

But as you can see, I am killing more units than a person would in a normal game ;)

Just a question Bam... What is the most amount of GLs you've produced in a game?

I don't remember the exact number (it is posted somewhere else, I could look it up), but it was in the 70's. It was a game pretty similar to this one.

The Army Wall tactic

The AI does not like to attack your armies. Therefore, you can set up a 'wall' of armies, which the AI will not even try to penetrate. As long as their units have *somewhere* to go to, in order to reach a city of yours, then they will view your armies as indestructible obstacles and just try to go around your armies. You can use this knowledge to 'guide' the AI units to go where you want them to go. Or you can get them stuck in a loop going back and forth, back and forth (this doesn't work for too long, as sooner or later there is 1 lone unit that will be able to get through the opening).

In the screenshot above, there are two areas I have indicated by the letters 'a' and 'b'. These were my two 'holes' that I would open up. Hole B I would leave open for the enemy to come through so they can try and reach my city. They send offensive units to aim for the city, and defensive units to aim for tiles to pillage. (You don't need an undefended city to bait the AI-only terrain improvements). However, due to there being no roads (and/or in my territory), it takes the AI many turns to get to my city. The units traveling this route gets tagged by my armies ZOC and get bombarded with artillery/cannons/catapults every turn. When units are down to 1 hp, kill them with any unit. Sooner or later there will be just 1 unit left on a tile. If you kill it, then you end up plugging up the 'hole' and the other AI units will look for other openings (or start attacking your armies to make an opening!). This is when I open up 'hole A' if there are no units nearby to sneak through the hole. Next turn, I plug up hole A and then re-open hole B since my unit(s) there can now move out of the way.

98% of the time you see any of my armies with damage to it, it was from when the army was attacking. It seems to me that AI units only attack armies when:
1. Army is in city (so they are really just trying to get the city)
2. Units have no other real opportunity for attack (no weaker units or cities to aim for, or tiles for defensive units to pillage)
3. Sometimes when 1 army is very isolated there is a small chance they will attack the army. The chances of them attacking an army increases as the army loses HP.
4. Beach landings.

1750-posted above

IBT-kill 1 warrior
1 longbowman
lose 1 musketeer

1752-Kill 3 musketmen, 1 longbowman.

IBT-kill 1 longbowman

1754-kill 1 musketman,
3 riflemen
lose 1 musketeer

IBT-Kill 2 longbowmen
1 riflemen
lose 1 army

1756-Kill 5 riflemen
1 musketmen
1 medievel infantry
1 warrior
lose 1 army
Batshireet bombarded to size 1

1758-Kill 14 riflemen, 10 longbowmen in Batshireet, capturing it.
Lose 2 musketeers.
Kill 1 riflemen, 1 longbowmen outside Batshireet.

Give Celts Banking for Navigation.

IBT-Lose 1 caravel (empty)

1760-Kill 23 riflemen, 1 musketman
Lose 6 musketeers
generate 1 leader

IBT-Kill 9 longbowmen
lose 1 caravel (empty)

1762-Kill 10 riflemen
2 musketmen
7 longbowmen
Lose 5 musketeers

1764-Kill 18 riflemen
1 musketeer
8 longbowmen
lose 5 musketeers
generate 1 leader

1766-Kill 12 riflemen
2 longbowmen
lose 4 musketeers

IBT-Lose 1 caravel (empty), 1 army (army I sent on pillaging mission about 20 turns ago-the AI was so desperate, they were bombarding it with ships)
kill 2 longbowmen

1768-kill 4 riflemen,
4 longbowmen,
1 medievel infantry

IBT-Lose 1 caravel (empty)
kill 1 galleon

1770-Kill 1 frigate
7 riflemen
3 longbowmen
Start bombarding Erdenet

IBT-lose 2 caravel (both empty)

1772-Kill 2 riflemen in Erdenet, capturing it and 4 slaves.
Kill 2 frigates
lose 1 caravel

IBT-lose 1 caravel (empty)
kill 1 frigate,
3 riflemen,
1 longbowman
lose 1 musketeer
my army in Erdenet survived with 1 or 2 hp left (I had other musketeers in the city who defended after the army was that far down in HP).

1774-Kill 1 frigate
lose 1 caravel (empty)
kill 17 riflemen,
1 musketman,
5 longbowmen,
3 medievel infantry
lose 4 musketeers

IBT-kill 1 frigate
1 longbowman
lose 1 caravel (empty)

1776-Kill 9 riflemen,
1 longbowman,
lose 1 musketman.

IBT-lose 1 caravel (empty)
kill 1 frigate

1778-kill 4 riflemen,
1 longbowman
Mongols are in communism (don't know how long that has been).

IBT-Kill 2 longbowmen
1 frigate
lose 1 caravel (empty)

1780-Kill 4 riflemen,
1 medievel infantry
1 frigate
lose 1 caravel
1 musketeer

IBT-kill 4 frigates
lose 4 caravel (not sure if they were full or not)

1782-Kill 3 frigates
Capture Choybalsan.
Kill 12 riflemen,
2 longbowmen
generated a leader

IBT-kill a frigate

1784-Kill 4 riflemen

IBT-Ultimate stupidity! (on both sides!)
I accidently leave some 20+ cannons too lightly defended. I had army flags all over the place that I thought I had an army protecting all my musketeers/cannons, but I guess not. Mongols capture them. Then THEY leave them TOTALLY undefended!
Kill 1 frigate.
Lost 1 or 2? musketeers

1786-Recapture 22 of my cannons.
Capture Dalandzadgad.
Kill 9 riflemen,
1 med.infantry
lose 1 musketeer.

IBT-kill 1 longbow

1788-Capture Ulaanbaatar.
Kill 4 riflemen
Lose 1 musketeer.

Cancel alliance with Celts against the Mongols.
Sign peace with Mongols for these cities:
Tes
Tumentsogt
Hutag
Arvayheer
Ondorhaan
Uliastay
Ulaangom

(These are mostly island cities-saves me the trouble having to go island-hopping after him).
Attempt to steal tech (immediately-1620 gold), trying to get him to re-declare war.
1st attempt: Physics
2nd: Magnetism
3rd: caught, but no war.

Top Bottom