Revolution for Android?

Boy I'd really love to have a civilization game on my Archos 70.

*did I just revive a long dead thread?*

dont know when this was first posted but I am another in the wish it were on android group.

I first posted in Nov 2009... Look at the top left corner of a post and you can see when it was posted...

So pissed with everyone involved with Civ. They have seemingly screwed up everything I want. Can't play on my phone, can't play Civ V online. Civ sucks now

I would pay for a Civ app for my tablet - Acer Iconia A500. The trouble, I think is that android is kinda stuck between 2 different forms - the smartphone and the tablet. When OS 4.0 comes out and supposedly everything gets unified then I can see this happening. Because then Civ would be coding one product.

But I think that "CivDroid" would be a perfect way to wipe the slate clean after civ v. A droid game won't be a glitzy, flashy thing. It would have to be something worth playing, so the dev team would really have to get the game play correct. And that would be a great way for them to remind themselves as to what made the Civ franchise the greatest franchise in gaming.

It need not be exactly like civ I. For example, there should be the option to mod your own civs. But work it from the ground up. After all, there are 5 iterations of code to show us what did and did not work.

We should make some noise about this ;-)

I am playing Civ Rev on my Android phone right now :D

I was pretty chuffed with myself when I figured it out. Unfortunately, there are a couple of limitations.

Bottom line, here's how I did it:

(1) I installed a Nintendo DS emulator. (I chose "DraStic" from the Google Play apps, which cost me a bit of money, but they had a trial version which meant I could test to see if it worked first, which it did.)

(2) I put the Nintendo DS version of the game onto my phone (it was an ".nds" file), and loaded it up from within the emulator.

Voila...it worked! I've just finished playing the English and caning the other civs with my double naval support :)

OK, here are the drawbacks...

First, and the biggest drawback of all (in my opinion), is that the emulator doesn't currently support multiplayer. (If anyone knows a DS emulator that does, please let me know) - so for now, it will be just you versus computer opponents.

Second, is the cost of the emulator. That said, there might be free ones out there, I didn't really look that hard. I just wanted to get Civ Rev running on Android.

Third, is getting the ".nds" file for Civ Rev onto your phone. The (presumably) legal way would be to buy the DS version of the game, and then hop onto Google to find out how to transfer the rom file over to your computer, and then onto Android. (Of course, I couldn't endorse you hopping onto Google to look for the rom file directly.)

The fourth drawback is simply that, an emulated version will probably not be able to take advantage of the full power of Android, which is why ultimately I'd rather they actually come out with an official Android version, which I'd buy like a shot.

(Having said that, after playing this DS version on Android, I'm actually thinking of buying a second hand DS Lite, just to play this on multiplayer!)

I presume you need a reasonably powerful Android phone. I recently invested in the Moto G, which isn't top of the range but is a pretty decent Android phone for the money, and Civ Rev plays pretty much perfectly on it!

Anyway, I hope somebody will find this useful. If not, well...I'm off to conquer the world as the Spanish :)

Arctica - how are the controls/UI on a touch screen android?

I've been sitting on a Nexus 7 (2013) and have been itching for Civ Rev, but didn't necessarily want to go the emulator route because of the UIs with emulators being less than spectacular on a touch screen.

[Sorry to revive this thread so many times]

RedThree, it's been a while since I played on it now since I *did* actually go out and buy a Nintendo DS just to play the darned game! :)

The controls are fairly good, and at least with the DraStic emulator, you can customize the layout somewhat - so on my Android screen, I ended up having the two DS screens on top of each other, and the controls (including the DS joypad and the 4 buttons) underneath.

On both the DS and the emulator, you can also touch the screen to move units, open the city screen etc. This usually works but occasionally goes wrong for me, and I end up moving my troop right next to the troop I'm meant to attack! (This could be because of my 4.5 inch screen.) That's why, for attack, I use the joypad (if that's the right term).

If your Nexus 7 has a bigger screen (I'm guessing a 7 inch one?) then I imagine that would be less of a problem.

You can always test it out if you can get hold of the "civ rev ds file", and there is a trial version of DraStic which allows you to play for 30 minutes at a time.

Worth a try, I guess!

I only wish it would support multiplayer. Single player deity is fun, but I miss that sinking feeling of seeing a human player suddenly drop 10 knight armies next to my capital from a battleship, 3 seconds before the end of a turn :)

OK, I took a couple of photos to show you how the controls look on my Android screen:

(edit: Sorry, I didn't realize they were going to come out quite so big!)

Spoiler :

On my 4.5 inch screen, the controllers do overlap onto the playing area a bit, which can cause problems occasionally, but that might not be the case for 7 inch screens.

hi I've not had a chance to look at the civ rev DS emu on android, but it looks interesting. I see there is (thankfully) due to an android version of civ rev 2, but frustratingly no release date ? I just wanted to say I've used ps1 emulation on android (FPse) and it played civ 2 flawlessly, there are many ps1 emu's available for android so take your pick if you want to try it. Really can't believe a full blown android version wouldn't make money !

Sorry Custodian1V31, I disagree. Unit sales of either are only really relevant for the OSes.

Demographic of user base is significantly more important for a specific application.

Individual one is a player of PC games, question is do they buy an Apple PC (Oh yes they are :lol: ) ?

Answer: Nope, not in general, as they tend to give less power for the buck.

Did the same person buy an Ipod/Iphone..of course they did, gamers love gadgets.

Will/did many get frustrated at Apples "control issues" ?....you bet your behind.

I'm one of them..had an Iphone from the get-go. Not anymore, Android does everything worthwhile that the Iphone could AND more. I went with the HTC Hero and pleased I did.

I think OS4.0 from Apple needs to hit soon and hard or they will (as analysts predict) be playing second fiddle in 2012.

In finishing, I suspect the installed userbase as it stands contains more likely purchasers than the iphone. Android is a geeks (mobile) wetdream after all ;)
--

yes this is exactly what im going to say

Top Bottom