Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

By founding a 2nd or 3rd religion you will also have 1-3 holy cities (one might double/triple up). If you stay under no state religion each of those cities will get +4culture/turn which can be a huge boost for a non-cultural player looking to grab that additional territory early.

1. A shrine gives you :gold: for every city with that religion present. If you have several shrines in a city, that could give you up to 100 :gold:. Wall Street doubles the :gold: output of a city, giving you, in essence, 2 :gold: per city with any of the religions that that city has a shrine for.

I'm having a ton of global warming going on right now, and all of my cities are losing farmland and they are starving. What can I do to fix this?
Need an answer ASAP!

Bitter.

Nothing, now that it's started. It's one of the worst parts of the game imo.

For future games, you can turn off Global Warming in the XML, ban nukes before they get used, or end the game before nukes come into effect.

Was that soon enough for you?

Nothing, now that it's started. It's one of the worst parts of the game imo.

For future games, you can turn off Global Warming in the XML, ban nukes before they get used, or end the game before nukes come into effect.

Was that soon enough for you?

I already won a domination victory, or whatever it is called. But I just wanted to keep playing, since I really didn't even get into future tech stuff or anything. I won the game like right after I entered the modern era, so I just wanted to keep playing to see what would happen, and now global warming is taking over everywhere and I fear that all my cities will just starve, which is what looks like is happening now, and will only get worse. Next time I know I will turn this off. Damn you global warming!

Bitter.

There isn't an "option" to turn it off. Rather you need to mod it.

I'm assuming you're using Beyond the Sword 3.17? If you aren't, it shouldn't be too different, but for that version you have to find BtS's GlobalDefines.xml, which will be located in the game's folder.

On my computer, this is found at C:\Program Files\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Gold\Beyond the Sword\Assets\XML. Just dig down there. :p

Copy GlobalDefines.xml and go to C:\...\My Games\Beyond the Sword\CustomAssets\xml and copy it there, right click and choose "edit" which should bring it up in notepad. Do I search for 'Global' or something until you find the line

Code:
<Define>
<DefineName>GLOBAL_WARMING_PROB</DefineName>
<iDefineIntVal>20</iDefineIntVal>
</Define>

Change the 20 to 0 and save, and you should be good, but to be honest I haven't fully tested this yet (my game hasn't gone far enough!) but it makes sense and others said it works.

There isn't an "option" to turn it off. Rather you need to mod it.

I am confused, you said to go to one location, copy it, then go to another location, edit it, and paste it in there? Shouldn't I just find the file in the first location, and overwrite that one with the edited one instead of pasting it in some other place?

Bitter.

Izzy's UB, the Citadel, castle replacement, is obsoleted at economics. Does that mean that there is no longer the unique bonus of +5 XP for siege weapons?

I read somewhere that v1.61 fixed something that's related to chopping. What was it like before the change, and what is it like now?
Im on Warlords 2.0. I have never bothered too much with the art of chopping. I just chopped whatever whenever it was convenient, or needed

I am confused, you said to go to one location, copy it, then go to another location, edit it, and paste it in there? Shouldn't I just find the file in the first location, and overwrite that one with the edited one instead of pasting it in some other place?

Bitter.

No, because overwriting the original game files is "risky". Changing a copy in custom assets means that if you ever change your mind you haven't screwed it up irreparably, already.

Cheers,
Merc

I'm playing an extended game and my workers can no longer build railroads or outposts. Dose anyone know why.

you need coal mines or oil wells to build railroads. I don't know what you're talking about when you say 'outposts'

I read somewhere that v1.61 fixed something that's related to chopping. What was it like before the change, and what is it like now?
Im on Warlords 2.0. I have never bothered too much with the art of chopping. I just chopped whatever whenever it was convenient, or needed

Before the 1.61 patch, chopping a forest gave you 30 hammers towards whatever you were building in the nearest city (on Normal speed). The hammers would be added to the unit or building as soon as the forest was chopped.

After the patch, forests give only 20 hammers, and even less if they are outside your borders or a city's BFC, but after Mathematics they give an extra 50%. Also, you have to end your turn before the hammers are added to the unit or building.

Are there any mods that play up religious conflicts? I think you should have :mad: in every city with religionX if religionX's holy city isn't reachable due to closed borders. This would encourage either complex diplomacy or, ideally, crusades.

Does anyone know of a really good book on Alexander the Great?

need help on launching Nukes on enemy's ground....
i am using the german empire and on WAR with french empire, i have already had all the necessary technology for launching Nukes but the prob is that where i had build the nuke weapon and when i press the red button,the icon just show a mushroom cloud,so i move the icon towards the explored french city and there's no green selected tiles appearing....why?:confused:
thanks

need help on launching Nukes on enemy's ground....
i am using the german empire and on WAR with french empire, i have already had all the necessary technology for launching Nukes but the prob is that where i had build the nuke weapon and when i press the red button,the icon just show a mushroom cloud,so i move the icon towards the explored french city and there's no green selected tiles appearing....why?:confused:
thanks
The most likely explanation is that you have troops either in the French city or on tiles next to the French city. The game won't let you launch nukes where your own units would be hurt by their effects.

If this is the case, simply move the troops away from the city, and you should be able to launch your lovely nukes. :)

Before the 1.61 patch, chopping a forest gave you 30 hammers towards whatever you were building in the nearest city (on Normal speed). The hammers would be added to the unit or building as soon as the forest was chopped.

After the patch, forests give only 20 hammers, and even less if they are outside your borders or a city's BFC, but after Mathematics they give an extra 50%. Also, you have to end your turn before the hammers are added to the unit or building.

Thanks for the thorough explanation :)

Top Bottom