Rhye's of Civilization - the fastest loading mod Expanded - PART II

SilverKnight said:
Ok, my turn... :)

Mongolia. WOW, what a fun game it's been! Thought the terrain might hamper me big time, and I would have to make a quick dash for China and Korea, but not so! I've been tech leader since turn 1! Popped a city just north of Korea immediately, and got some techs from every goody hut in the Orient and India. My Mangudais were perfect for getting rid of those pesky "other" barbarian tribes to the west, and I was able to settle some prime city locations there just before Russia did, and by only taking one Greek settler. Took my Keshiks to Beijing via that helpful undefendable plateau, along with half-a-dozen crossbowmen for safe guarding. Korea went down soon after that. Decided to start moving my units out west to protect Siberia from Mother Russia, when- sure enough- she attacked! I retaliated with my shiny new Lancers and Cavalry (left one Mangudai to forever roam the Russian steppes for barbarian tribes- free gold!) and destroyed Russia right between the Western Europeans' colonies. Got a few armies and Military Academy from that war, decided to settle down and let my "Total Unit" count catch up with my "Allowed Unit" count. Had just started building railroads when Japan lands A SINGLE SPEARMAN by Beijing. I surround it with Riflemen and try to be reasonable, and finally have to ask it to leave. Japan declares war and loses Edo (closest to Korea) the next turn when I pop-rush a transport, my first ship. At this point I'm researching Marxism as a Theocratic Monarchy (had been since the third turn I got it) for Totalitarianism and Communism, since corruption is horrible in South China and Russia. Now I've battled every Japanese samurai conceivable (over two dozen in one turn by my body count ;)) and am FINALLY advancing on Tokyo, with my two Dreadnoughts knocking out the Galleasses and Caravels they throw at me two at a time. Two armies of Cavalry, two of Lancers, and one of Keshiks (Pentagon built, Keshik army only has 3), and over a dozen Riflemen, since I realized I had forgotten about RUBBER and OIL until now. Built a city in Malaysia with some workers to connect to Rubber, and found some oil in Russia.

Unfortunately, my brand-new Gateway laptop's in the shop for a crack repair, and while the turns aren't taking too long (about 2 minutes, tops), my desktop computer keeps asking for me to increase the size of the paging file ever few turns. I think I'll wait with that save for a while...

In the meantime, tried the Byzantines (Middle Ages, 3 cities, broke and scared of Germany :cry: but tech leader) and the Japanese (broke, tech leader, sole colonizer of Australia and beat the Persians to spice in India! :cool: ). Japanese save too big, working on the Byzantines.

RoCX is fun! :goodjob:
SilverKnight

Hello,

I just try out Inca on Emperor level. I think they really dont fit my playstyle ( I really prefer culture over battles). But I managed to become worldwide tech leader in Industrial Age.
It all started out fine. My scout was popping every possible good hut and I really got loads of free techs. Then I started my golden age around 300 AD by building Temple of Kutulkan, then Temple of Sun and even Hagia Sophia. Next to this I made my 4 core cities to become research centers by buildiung universities and granaries (very important in the nearly-only-mountains-terrain of Peru and Chile). btw my core cities exclude my capital. My capital Cuzco is unfortunately only able to effectivly produce Settlers, because it is too difficult to be increased beyond 5).
The big mistake I made now was to take the wrong research path in Mid Age. The Americans was researching Fortifications and Feudalism, so I went for Theology and so on to trade with them. Big mistake ! The trades with them were very difficult and it would be more profitable for me to go for Navigation as fast as possible and so get in touch with the Europeans and Asians more early.
But during the time I managed to catch up with some of the originally hopelessly advanced Europeans. They got stuck in too much warmongering I guess.
Then in my luckiest turn Portugal (the 1st major power) declared war on me and afterwards England (the 2nd major power) offered me a mutual protection pact and giving me 8500 Gold, Economics, Steam Power, Enlightment, Absolutism and Furs. I was just researching steam power for one turn at that moment.
I was now part in the big world war between Portugal and England and their Allies.So Aztecs and Iroquous declared war on me (along with several other civs). But thanx to the easy upgrading I build up a big army of Lancers and Artillery and so I nearly finished to wipe Aztecs out, overtake the American Midwest from the Iroquious and to keep the Europeans at bay in Brazil.

The easy upgrading is really the best feature in Rhyes. You just wait and dont take access to strategical resources like Iron and Saltpeter and then when you need it you pump out hordes of cheap ancient units for no money and just upgrade them after you traded for the modern resources. That is perfect for people like me that never build up armies early but just very late.

Lancers e.g. are easy. You trade with the Europeans for Horses, pump out Horsemen and during this time you go to reach the Mustangs in South Chile. Takes you around 15 to 20 turns and then you have around 10 - 15 horsemen that become Lancers .. for alltogether 1500 (for rushing 15 horsemen) and 750 (for upgrading to 15 lancers). That is a quite cheap prize and enough for conquering everybody around you after you upgraded all the rushed 15 trebuchets to Artillery :).

Actually I finished Sanitation and I am tech leader, but the problem is .. it is already 1920 .. so only around 80 turns left. I made peace with everybody except Aztecs and Iroquious and will try to go for Diplomatic Victory (i really dont like battles) after I finished business in North America.

In general RoCX is definitivly the best Civ I ever played. Even when I modify my version constantly when I have the feeling that some civs are just to crippled. Now I introduced special settlers for India, Malay and Maya that are able to cross Jungle, Marshes and Mountains. Now Malay performed much better than ever before (but still they are constantly more backwards than even the Zulus) India and Maya showed no change.

Great work Gabriele !!

@Azzaman: I am pretty sure that the camel is a conversion. You will notice that other units, like the Chu Ko Nu, are also from AoE2. Feel free to make something better to replace them with! ;p

@Rod (and anyone else who is consistently a tech leader): If you find that you are not reaching the Modern Era techs, try these solutions:

OPTION 1) Try playing on a higher difficulty level. I find that Demigod usually has the AI working at top form tech wise.

If you are not ready/willing to increase the difficulty level, then

OPTION 2) Load the .biq file, go to EDIT RULES in the EDIT menu, click on the DIFFICULTY LEVELS tab, and increase the AI to AI trade rate (its at the bottom of the page) by 20-30 points for all difficulty levels. This will encourage the AI to trade amongst one another, ameliorating the AI's difficulties in keeping a strong tech race going.

Either of these solutions will allow you to play a non-european civilization while still enjoying the realistic tech pace that makes RoCX the excellent mod it is.

I'm back.

Just a few days are left to the end of RGC3. (Hey Aeon, do you want to join? There's still time!)

There are a couple of ideas for RGC4, one that would be of the same type of RGC3, and one of the same type of RGC2. In the next days I'll post something more about this.

Now, some comments:

-> Galleys outside Europe are as weird as Junks in the Mediterranean. While building the mod, I studied this matter and found that ships were very different from location to location, but could have been divided in two branches: oar-armed and sail-only. Now, the most famous ships worldwide of the former type is the galley, the latter is the junk.

-> About English attitude, it is also true that England, being part of the holy alliance, denied the constitution in many parts of Europe in the XIX Century.

-> AI to AI trade rate had to be raised, that was one of the things to do for an hypothetical ROCX 1.3 patch. Well, actually, there was something even more innovative to do (a limitation of trade), but that would have required too many tests.

@Rhye: England still doesnt have a constitution ;p evil anti democrats! Also they withdrew from the holy alliance in 1819, a few years after it started because they were against conservative interventions in european nations.

all of which has nothing to do with anything!

Aeon221 said:
@Azzaman: I am pretty sure that the camel is a conversion. You will notice that other units, like the Chu Ko Nu, are also from AoE2. Feel free to make something better to replace them with! ;p

I wasnt saying there was anything wrong with the AoE2 conversions, i was just hoping that i wasnt paranoid.

I had a problem when downloading...........

I went to the new screen and pressed "start downloading", which is all pretty normal. It says Queue waiting time was about 4 minutes, but then the little queue window stays up for over an hour, with no difference.

What's the problem?

I like the Mongolian leaderhead with the kitten... but I just like kittens ;p

@Appleboy: The problem is that 3Ddownloads is really sucky. Do you have a pop up blocker or something? ... Do we still offer it in parts on the original thread?

Why didnt Rhye just post the download on the main page? I dont necesarilly say to totally remove that 3D download thing, but just simple add it on this thread as well so we dont have to go through all that trouble. For me, id like it because i cant download it otherwise.

It's actually a CONSPIRACY, and now you're danger of your very posts for mentioning it! Oh no! I did too, ahh! :cry:

... :lol:

So the Portuguese have wiped every Civ out of Europe, including Scandinavia and England. Carthage, Egypt, and the Middle East south to Babylon are mine, Ethiopia is deserted, and all of South America is mine save for Inca and one Korean city. Japan unwisely declared war on me some time back (I forgot why, it's an old save!), so my good buddies China and Korea took my offer of a military alliance and managed to reclaim their Japanese occupied port cities. Now Korea and Japan are on naval par with me (though I just upgraded my dozen Dreadnoughts to Battleships! :D) and are duking it out in the east Pacific. My Battleships are taking out the Japanese transports on their way to Korean islands, and slowly making their way to Japan with four carriers of Biplanes to decimate the terrain. I have no intention of invading, not for another hundred turns at least. But I think those railroads have to go. :evil:

SilverKnight

Top Bottom