[MOD] Fall from Heaven

Weird problem. I just went to try this mod, and I cannot do anything in the civics screen. I see the new possibilities available, but when I go to select a "discovered" civic, there is no way to do so. And nothing at the bottom about cost -- just an exit option.

beorn said:
Weird problem. I just went to try this mod, and I cannot do anything in the civics screen. I see the new possibilities available, but when I go to select a "discovered" civic, there is no way to do so. And nothing at the bottom about cost -- just an exit option.

First of all, congrats! you were the 1000th post in this thread.

Some players have reported problems in the civics screen if they don't have Civ4 patch 1.52 applied. Do you have the patch?

beorn said:

Do you have the Firaxis 1.52 patch?

woodelf said:
Do you have the Firaxis 1.52 patch?

Beat you for once!

Kael said:
First of all, congrats! you were the 1000th post in this thread.

Some players have reported problems in the civics screen if they don't have Civ4 patch 1.52 applied. Do you have the patch?
Bingo! Didn't realize that there was a new patch. Thanks, and thanks for the great looking mod.

I have a radical idea that could make this mod really cool.

What if the map was divided into two halves, this world and the underworld.
The underworld would be almost impossible to get to initially, and populated with barbarians ranging from goblins to demons to fiery dogs. However, it would also be ruled by an unplayable demon Civ. The main way to get to the underworld would be a wonder that made the underworld no-longer impassable. Then you could go explore and have adventures down there, but you wouldn't be able to build any cities there.

This would also give the Ashen Veil its coolest advantage. Starting when the AV was founded, its founder (if they converted) would get the choice to "exploit the underworld" or not. If they chose to, they would be able to teleport 1 unit per turn from the holy city to the Demon's capital, whihc would be shown. This would give them a large advantage.
Also, their "hellgate" terrain types which I mentioned earlier would also be able to send and receive units from the demon's capital city. Its like sending a unit through the underworld so he doesn't have to sail around the world!
However, the downside of them accepting the demon's offer is that they would have to be the AV for the entire game.
If they declined the offer then the next civ to convert to the AV would get the choice, but each civ would only get the choice once.

The other way to get to the underworld early would be a national wonder produceable only by a civ following Runes of Kilmorph. It would be called something like "Dig for the riches of the underworld". It would spawn barb "underworld" units nearby every so often, as well as give the Dwarves access to some special resources only available in the underworld. It would make them more friendly with the Ashen Veil, but less with the Order.

Now that I give it even more thought, there could be some early heros that allow you into the underworld as well.

Now I know you will ask what the point of exploring the underworld would be if I can't build cities there.
I already have some reasons, and I'm sure you all will think of more.
1. XP for your units
2. The last remaining goody huts
3. The last remaining animal (or sort of animals) for your druids.
4. The barb and demon cities already down there which you can capture.
5. Powerful Equipments.
6. Also, there could be quests where you get temporary acess to the underworld.
7. Finally, druids could upgrade the underworld terrain, allowing cities.

loki1232 said:
I have a radical idea that could make this mod really cool.

What if the map was divided into two halves, this world and the underworld.
The underworld would be almost impossible to get to initially, and populated with barbarians ranging from goblins to demons to fiery dogs. However, it would also be ruled by an unplayable demon Civ. The main way to get to the underworld would be a wonder that made the underworld no-longer impassable. Then you could go explore and have adventures down there, but you wouldn't be able to build any cities there.

This would also give the Ashen Veil its coolest advantage. Starting when the AV was founded, its founder (if they converted) would get the choice to "exploit the underworld" or not. If they chose to, they would be able to teleport 1 unit per turn from the holy city to the Demon's capital, whihc would be shown. This would give them a large advantage.
Also, their "hellgate" terrain types which I mentioned earlier would also be able to send and receive units from the demon's capital city. Its like sending a unit through the underworld so he doesn't have to sail around the world!
However, the downside of them accepting the demon's offer is that they would have to be the AV for the entire game.
If they declined the offer then the next civ to convert to the AV would get the choice, but each civ would only get the choice once.

The other way to get to the underworld early would be a national wonder produceable only by a civ following Runes of Kilmorph. It would be called something like "Dig for the riches of the underworld". It would spawn barb "underworld" units nearby every so often, as well as give the Dwarves access to some special resources only available in the underworld. It would make them more friendly with the Ashen Veil, but less with the Order.

Now that I give it even more thought, there could be some early heros that allow you into the underworld as well.

I would definitly like to have a "wild region" be it hell or something else. I tihnk there is enough to do in the early game so the new area wouldn't be accessbile until the mid to late game (plus the early game units wouldnt be able to survive there).

I wouldnt want to limit the new area to just certain religions. Although the new area should be a huge danger, it should contain rewards that make it worthwile to explore too. Maybe the materials used in enchanting only exist in the wild area. And I would like civs to be able to build fortifications there, maybe cities that con only produce a very limited amount of units and buildings. I want civs to have to decide how much fo their forces they are going to commit to the new area, with the threat being that if they commit to much they risk have thier homelands sacked.

One thing I could see as a special ability of the Ashen Veil would be to befriend the barbarian civ of the new land (the entropy civ is reserved non-playable for this) and open a gate allowing the powerful units of that world to pour into the normal world similiar to the quest I talked abotu a few pages back.

loki1232 said:
Now I know you will ask what the point of exploring the underworld would be if I can't build cities there.
I already have some reasons, and I'm sure you all will think of more.
1. XP for your units
2. The last remaining goody huts
3. The last remaining animal (or sort of animals) for your druids.
4. The barb and demon cities already down there which you can capture.
5. Powerful Equipments.
6. Also, there could be quests where you get temporary acess to the underworld.
7. Finally, druids could upgrade the underworld terrain, allowing cities.

What do you think, "fortifications" down there that work as limited cities?

Other reasons for exploring the underworld.

8.The holy units of Order and Runes would have a chance to convert the underworld spawn type units.
9. If the good guys destroyed the demonic civ, it would seriously hurt the AV. (who would be the only ones who could trade with them)
10. There would be some demonic controlled resources that would allow industrial revolution era units.
11. There would be a city controlled by good angels in the underworld, but not accessable by the demons. It would trade good resources and techs to the "good guys". However, near the end of the game there would be a quest where every unit got access to the entire world. Then both the demon and angel civs would send forth their most powerful units, and try to conquer all respective enemies.

Kael said:
What do you think, "fortifications" down there that work as limited cities?

Like outposts?
I like that idea.

However, the AV civic would allow them to get limited production from the underworld terrain, so they could have somewhat useful cities there.

Of course, these ideas only really work on a scenario map.
On the other hand, I like scenarios much more because the quests work better.

loki1232 said:
Of course, these ideas only really work on a scenario map.
On the other hand, I like scenarios much more because the quests work better.

I think we could do it randomly with a good map script.

Hmm...I wonder if it would be in any way possible to make The Underworld a seperate "plane", that is a completely different map, in the game, just like it was in the fantasy variety of Civ II: Test of Time.
It probably can't be done, but it would work much better if it could, I think.

Corlindale said:
Hmm...I wonder if it would be in any way possible to make The Underworld a seperate "plane", that is a completely different map, in the game, just like it was in the fantasy variety of Civ II: Test of Time.
It probably can't be done, but it would work much better if it could, I think.

OMG
That would be so cool. I didn't even know it was possible. If we could do that we could also have a "heaven plane".

Is it possible to flip between maps? It would be cool to be AoW:SM and have layers of underworld and others planes. The possibilites are endless....

Conversely you could have a large preset map (scenario) that had an inaccessible area somewhere on it that we could pretend was underworld or another plane that was only reached via gate or tech. Need some wildly different errain too.

All Hail the Underworld. I loved Test of Time for the exact reason that they had that fantastic "multi-map" ability. It would be excellent if we could pull something similar off for FfH. I have a small idea how a single-map version could work, but I have no idea if it is possible before SDK:

Since you obviously can allow druids to terraform base terrain, can you alllow units to terraform terrain features? If so, you could, for example, allow a national wonder unlockable by some far-off tech that would spawn a unit that could pass unpassable terrain and turn it into passable terrain.

Or, even better: separate it from the rest of the world by a belt of Polar Ice (impassable) and then make a one-off (or high-tech, ridiculously expensive) sea unit that can cross impassable!

On a totally unrelated, but gameplay oriented point: Could you tweak the religious victory demand to a more realistic level (say, 65%, a number I heard quoted here)? As it is, it's the only real peaceful victory short of culture.

woodelf said:
Is it possible to flip between maps? It would be cool to be AoW:SM and have layers of underworld and others planes. The possibilites are endless....

Conversely you could have a large preset map (scenario) that had an inaccessible area somewhere on it that we could pretend was underworld or another plane that was only reached via gate or tech. Need some wildly different errain too.

This is all super future stuff of course but I could share the map between dimensions. So they both use the same map but cities units, improvements, bonus, etc are local to only one dimension. But the river that runs through the normal world would be a river in hell, just one of lava. Some units may exist in both worlds. And if the right armageddon spell is used, maybe the worlds start to converge hell into the real world.

wilboman said:
On a totally unrelated, but gameplay oriented point: Could you tweak the religious victory demand to a more realistic level (say, 65%, a number I heard quoted here)? As it is, it's the only real peaceful victory short of culture.

I will play with it. I was worried that if it was to low it would be to easy to get a religious victory 200 turns in by founding the first religion and spreading it quickly.

Top Bottom