1.0.0.62 Patch: AI /worse/ at trade

Fixed that for you...

What's that supposed to mean? I simply pointed out that you can mostly get resources from the city states, and finding the money to bribe them isn't hard if you know how to play the game right. Once they have started to like you, they often continue to do so and give you fairly simple tasks to fulfill so you can continue to be their buddy.

Just how tarded the AI trade system gets:

Montezuma founds a city 4 hexes from my capital in a desert - annoying the piss out of me. The AI has this stupid idiotic drive to spam cities in worthless pots just to be prick. I just got over a big war with Russia and I dont need a new one. So I inquire about a trade.

Montezuma wants 7 luxuries (all of mine), 1800 gold (all gold), 45 GPT (all) and Iron for a size one city. Catherine did the same thing - and ended up losing 4 cities- pissed me off enough by her city spamming next to my cities. To test I offer a size 1 city i conquered - Monty wont give me more that 180 gold.

Bottom line the AI doesn't play to win - it plays to screw the human player.

Rat

I simply pointed out that you can mostly get resources from the city states, and finding the money to bribe them isn't hard if you know how to play the game right.

Yes. We're doing that. Done. We've grown our cities and need yet more luxuries. We've still got the problem that AI nations are swindling human players left, right, and centre with trades.

City-states don't give you cash for extra luxuries. In the game as it is now, more than one copy of any given luxury is now useful only for production. Lovely.

City-states don't give you cash for extra luxuries. In the game as it is now, more than one copy of any given luxury is now useful only for production. Lovely.

No, they can make other city states happy, and they can be of the kind in demand in some of your cities, triggering the "We Love the King Day". Look for that kind of luxuries and see you cities grow. In my last game, my capital had a population of 28. Also, it is by no emans impossible to tarde with other civs. It's not just such an automatic pushover as in Civ IV.

You can trade extras to other positions for cash. In fact, they can and will cough up some good coin for it which also dampens their ability for science agreements. You can take that coin and use it for whatever you want including getting resources from city states instead of NPC's.

Having said that, I have gotten several 1 to 1 trades, but it is far, far less than it was and that was after making deals at a disadvantage early in the game. I have also gotten straight up science agreements as well, but it is a lot less than it was.

Öjevind Lång;9825355 said:
What's that supposed to mean? I simply pointed out that you can mostly get resources from the city states, and finding the money to bribe them isn't hard if you know how to play the game right. Once they have started to like you, they often continue to do so and give you fairly simple tasks to fulfill so you can continue to be their buddy.

Simply that there's no "liking" involved -- it's solely a cash swap... not "diplomacy" in any sense of the word. They most certainly don't continue to like you -- CS influence degrades, in fact. There's no relationship involved -- the amount of influence you buy is a simple function against the relationship points other civs have bought. You can modify the factor by which this bought influence degrades via the pink tech tree.

Let's just not pretend it's about "liking" -- it's a simple "buy" mechanic. You buy the alliance, which is a proxy for the resource. Other AIs might "buy" the CS away from you, and you can then "buy" them back.

It appears they will offer up a 1:1 trade if they are looking to groom you as a war ally in a certain amount of turns.

I was snubbing Monte left and right all game by refusing to open borders, not forming any pacts. I never traded with him and then out of necessity (I pissed off just about everyone else with taking a CS) I tried to trade with Monte. BAM...my first 1:1 luxury trade the entire game. Over the next few turn he proceeds to bombard me with pacts, and offers of war against other AI's. Interesting...

It appears they will offer up a 1:1 trade if they are looking to groom you as a war ally in a certain amount of turns.

And in other circumstances as well. The people who are complaining about being swindled or otherwise having a hard time just haven't figured out how to outsmart the AI.

I was snubbing Monte left and right all game by refusing to open borders, not forming any pacts. I never traded with him and then out of necessity (I pissed off just about everyone else with taking a CS) I tried to trade with Monte. BAM...my first 1:1 luxury trade the entire game. Over the next few turn he proceeds to bombard me with pacts, and offers of war against other AI's. Interesting...

What difficulty level?

....and BTW - just to respond to the response below this, no -- that's not diplomacy... That's just the AI feeling the wrath of the other AI sociopaths. At best, it's passive self-preservation --- diplomacy should allow for more positive influence factors, even at higher difficulty levels.

What difficulty level?

....and BTW - just to respond to the response below this, no -- that's not diplomacy... That's just the AI feeling the wrath of the other AI sociopaths. At best, it's passive self-preservation --- diplomacy should allow for more positive influence factors, even at higher difficulty levels.

Agreed - but this has nothing to do with the fact that at present it's quite possible to trade with the AI and come out satisfied with the deal.

Top Bottom