Short fun game (immortal)

Barb spawn rates are a function of game turns. On quick, they don't have as many turns to spawn since cities start popping up sooner. So we'll see fewer barbs than a normal game here. Hence we may get away with just warriors (and they're aggressive!). I'd prefer to skip archery if possible since we're not going to use HA this game (I think).

PS - mdy said he'll hopefully join SGOTM11 but he's busy until the new year.

@mysty - nice to see you're still up for playing deity :lol: I should play more deity but I find that if I don't finish a game in a sitting, it's pretty unlikely I'll finish it ever and deity games take more than one sitting.

Barb spawn rates are a function of game turns. On quick, they don't have as many turns to spawn since cities start popping up sooner. So we'll see fewer barbs than a normal game here. Hence we may get away with just warriors (and they're aggressive!). I'd prefer to skip archery if possible since we're not going to use HA this game (I think).

Cheap barracks >> Cover warriors, I think. Though I'm really not used to quick speed.

@RRRas, do we have an idea of where and how close Churchill is? NE somewhere?

North, could be anywhere north...we met his scout in the middle of the continent, so no clues here.

I'd go TW->AH here as well... doesn't mean we have to settle Horse 2nd, just knowing where it is (or isn't) helps a lot with the settling decisions. Quick is ezmode barbs as noted anyway and I also think roading is a very top priority on Quick.

I did some wb tests... which changed my mind. I believe we can go TW -> AH -> myst path...

micro used to build the settler: grew to size 4 (worker farming a fp after the gold mine), then whipped the settler for two pop. I worked the gold size 4. Whipping the settler gives it one turn before regular build at size 3, and two turns before the regular build at size 4 scenario. So it's the way to go. Final results are settler built turn 25, and AH at one turn (TW done). myst takes 5 turns after that if we grow back to size 4 at max speed, 4 if working the gold from size 2. So, depending where we settle, we should be able to build a monument rather fast, even if we go TW -> AH after BW.

Initial test save and final save attached if you feel like trying more stuff :).

PS: the wb has a small mistake which I believe doesn't affect results: there is one turn delay between the completion of the gold mine and the start of the fp farm in this save compared to the real save (gold tile badly placed :blush:).

Attachments

• Raskolnikov test BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    37 KB · Views: 70
  • Raskolnikov test BC-2500.CivBeyondSwordSave
    70.8 KB · Views: 83
Damn, heavy theory stuff for a "quick short fun game" at turn 20 :)

In other random musings, this start would dominate quite a bit more with either of the other Russian leaders. Though any leader can dominate quite much from this start :)

Also, I'll be away most of Friday and Saturday so feel free to skip me if I'm up and you feel an urgent need to advance fast.

Damn, heavy theory stuff for a "quick short fun game" at turn 20 :)

Don't worry, we'll get sloppy over times... :lol: just first turns are really important, more so in immortal/quick (Fred with two cities at turn 14 feels a little like deity :cry:). The hardest part was worldbuildering the start :crazyeye:

random thought: we might want to overlap most of the 10 capital floodplains with three satellite cities north/east/south of the cap... would give better growth (less health problems), better early commerce, faster awesomeness for our bureaucratic Moscow ... and three cities to draft when Moscow is size 20 :D

random thought: we might want to overlap most of the 10 capital floodplains with three satellite cities north/east/south of the cap... would give better growth, better early commerce, faster awesomeness for our bureaucratic Moscow ... and three cities to draft when Moscow is size 20 :D

You mean growing cottages for the capital with the satellites? Isn't that against (at least the spirit of) the bonus point rule? :)

You mean growing cottages for the capital with the satellites? Isn't that against (at least the spirit of) the bonus point rule? :)

Yes that's what I mean... i don't think it's against the spirit, if we farm all the tiles which aren't on the capital bfc... though I let the all mighty host, Shyuhe, veto that or not :bowdown:

edit: I never meant building a cottage outside of the cap. but Moscow will be better with 15 towns than with 3 towns and 12 cottages.

Yeah I also thought that we should never have a city other than Moscow working a cottage tile. And annexing those cottages later from the satellites leads to a lot of grief as demonstrated here a while back when Helsinki stole a Town tile from a neighboring city (not sure if Finland is running Bureucracy or FS though) :)

Whipping the settler gives it one turn before regular build at size 3, and two turns before the regular build at size 4 scenario. So it's the way to go.

But, 6t to re-grow to size 4 with all food tiles, correct? Is that a good deal? I usually don't like to whip away a gold mine early on. I think we may also need an extra worker early on quick, to road more and speed things up in general.

I don't think we should work cottages in other cities.

But, 6t to re-grow to size 4 with all food tiles, correct? Is that a good deal? I usually don't like to whip away a gold mine early on. I think we may also need an extra worker early on quick, to road more and speed things up in general.

Yes, 6 turns to size 4... This isn't my usual play either but whipping the cap seems attractive before we link health resources, as we have an higher happy cap than the health one. Though I agree we'll need another worker soon, so this is still up for discussion. :)

edit: in favor of whipping the settler: first worker can't keep up with city growth. We could whip a second worker instead, but I am scared of loosing a key site to Fred...

I can't open the save (after ras' turns), got an error amd ctd. So I renamed my CA folder in my games/BtS but it still doesn't work. Any ideas?

Having other cities borrowing cottages to grow them for "the big city" often works very well and in this scenario is very strong esp. since those will be on FPs with the nice food yield. It will mean some additional MM esp. if we take binary research into account with the differently matured cottages. I'm not sure we need to do that in this game but I want to mention it anyway ;)

I just finished my game so should be more active in this SG provided I manage to open te save ;)
Spoiler :
Domination victory 1655ad, 214k score... not bad for the first game in over half a year, esp. since it was deity :) Looks like I didn't forget how to play civ in my time at the rax ;)

When I got back to civ I downloaded the most recent version, it's BUFFY 3.19.001. I have not messed with any files, not even installed BUG...

Top Bottom