Is there any interest in an IntersiteDG

I'd be willing to step in and give thoughts to a team, but I have found that I'm a totally unreliable MTDG player.

One thing I found from the Civ III MTDG is that island invasions are not easy against human opponents, so I suggest that there are ground rules. The Civ III game really ground to a halt.

Perhaps we can do a variation where some more units can make amphibious attacks, or we rule out blocking a coastline but also rule out landings on anything but flat land (no marsh, jungle, hills, mountains or forests - we would need a rule about not planting forests on coast)

basically, allow invasions, but give the defenders a pretty large advantage, I dunno. Course, if it's a pangea or a continents map, then we can pretty much ignore that...

You may be more suitable for the DemoGame style game, that is not as pressing on the individual players. You are not asked to play the save on a regular basis, just to help discuss the options regarding movement, techs, trades, etc. The team President (Designated Player - DP) is responsible for playing the save for the whole team. The term for the President usually lasts a month, but that's not written in stone. In fact the Prez can ask anyone to step in for him/her at anytime (but the Prez is still responsible for anything that happens).

As far as land mass, see above. It looks like Pangaea or Continents. I believe the silly islands are out!

After thinking about the way I described game sessions, I. Larkin, I see how it may still be confusing. I described it on the prior page as this:

A game session is like a turn chat or a time where the primary (designated) Player plays the turns for the team. It usually ranges 5 - 10 turns. These game sessions advance the turns of each individual team. Sooo, each team will have their own individual turn sessions. They will either be private (1 person playing alone) or they will be a turn chat (1 person playing in a chatroom with other team members there to advise the DP).

What I described above is a normal Demogame (1 human team against the AI) on any one website. This intersite game will be a 4 team PBEM. It's just that the teams will have 5-6 (maybe more) players on a team. Each game session will be 1 (count 'em one) turn each. And then they will be emailed to the next team (or posted on the LemmingsBot page, or both!). Hopefully, it's a little easier to understand with this additional paragraph.

After thinking about the way I described game sessions, I. Larkin, I see how it may still be confusing. I described it on the prior page as this:

This intersite game will be a 4 team PBEM. It's just that the teams will have 5-6 (maybe more) players on a team. Each game session will be 1 (count 'em one) turn each. And then they will be emailed to the next team (or posted on the LemmingsBot page, or both!). Hopefully, it's a little easier to understand with this additional paragraph.
Yes, I anticipated something like this. If 1 turn will take 2-8 days it is 3 years approximately.
Or, teams have to agree about fast few turns session.

Yes, these long turn around times are really boring.

It's like correspondence chess back in the old days before the internet... :D

I have seen both types of games. For example in CDG1 we have 6 very dedicated reliable players who usually pass the turn on with in 1 day. So the game is flowing quickly and it is a lot of fun. They game may still last a year, but at least there is always action going on, and there are no long interruptions where you forget what you did last turn...
However, unfortunately it is sufficient to have only one single "unreliable" player in the roster, and then it may cause delays of 1-2 weeks every once in a while, and this spoils the fun for the rest of the players, even if they are reliable. If something like this drags on for a longer period, other players may also loose interest, and this usually means the death of that game. Sometimes it can be averted by finding a suitable substitute.

In this intersite team match, however, I hope that this will not happen, because of two reasons:
  • in a team of 5+ people there should always be one available, who can play the turn and pass it on to the next team
  • we will have a referee, who will simply "click end-of-turn" and pass the turn on to the next team, if a team does not respond within the time limit... Of course every team will be striving to avoid this.... and therefore the turns should be flowing quickly.

Lanzelot

:D

I just received an email from Furiey, who says taking the referee position for CFC will not be a problem. Although Furiey does not speak German, with our three translators their shouldn't be a problem. So we've got the CFC side covered.

I have taken note of your quaint little civilization, and will take the question of private fora to the admins. :)

Is it 4 teams of 2 civs each, or 8 independent civs? Thinking of whether the 2 CFC teams need independent fora or not. Maybe they do because they're not supposed to have contact until they meet in-game?

It's 4 teams. Two CFC teams and 2 CivForum teams, and each team will play one civ. The CFC teams will need private forums not only to keep separate from each other, but CivForums people drop by here also. Community space would also be good. I'm guessing this main page will be the Community space?

Thanks for your help DaveShack. This is really appreciated. :thumbsup:

Stares awkwardly at ceiling
improuves my dictionary... but what did you mean here?
Let discuss "in parallel" game setup

1) good idea "no civ with AA UU". Let's remove Dutch as well. It is the only agry remained.
2) No Barbarians. It is too random and only one player can see how they move.
3) accelerated production?
4) Bonus tech from Philosophy?

improuves my dictionary... but what did you mean here?
Let discuss "in parallel" game setup

1) good idea "no civ with AA UU". Let's remove Dutch as well. It is the only agry remained.

I will try to "improve" your vocabulary. I believe Bowsling directed that towards me and my remark about "these long turn around times are really boring". It was just in good fun. It was an attempt at humor. :)

1.) Good idea. Let's dump the Dutch also.
2.) Sedimentary Barbs are fine with me. That way they will only show up in Villages randomly.
3.)We don't really need it, I don't use it SP, but if everyone forces me to use it, there's nothing I can do. :)
4. Yes, I don't see why we have to change that. It makes for an interesting race and will force some teams to choose a civ that starts with The Alphabet.

no, my problem is that my attention comes and goes. Sometimes I'm involved, but I'll go quite some time without checking in - partly that has to do with work.

:) Would that make it ADD instead of ATM?

Good option!

I do not care too much about barbs. On a small map sedentary barbs are not even worthwhile for expansionistic civs. In my last PBEM as Russia I failed to get even ONE tech out of huts :sad:

So I would say either no barbs, or maybe restless barbs.

NOPE!

YES!

I would rather think about what to do about SGLs. I would not mind about disabling them, but I think that the CivForum members prefer them activated. Maybe SGLs should only be able to rush small wonders? Or Great Wonders up to 300 shields?

Our "new friends" from Germany are also currently discussing the settup for this game. Please see their discussion thread. They are also holding a vote on certain questions.

Perhaps those of us, who want to take part in the process of setting up the map & game features, should post their input on this thread? kleinerHeldt said our input is welcome. Currently people post there in both languages, German and English, but if more from CFC turn up there, they will probably mainly switch to English...

However, in order to post and vote there, you would have to create a user for Civforum.

Another question that concerns only us: should we start forming teams now? I would suggest one team for the players preferring the "DemoGame-style" and one team for those preferring "SuccessionGame-style". (Hopefully both teams will turn out to be of even size and strength.)
Any candidates for "team captains"? Please indicate in this thread. If we have more than one candidate, we'll just have a vote. If people send me PMs with their preferred style, I will add that information to my list of interested players.

So I take it that everyone's silence about Furiey being the CFC Referee is your approval. :dubious:

I would think this a topic worthy of comment.

So I take it that everyone's silence about Furiey being the CFC Referee is your approval. :dubious:

I would think this a topic worthy of comment.

Fine by me.

I do not really know Furiey. But I trust your judgement. If you say he is the right man for the jpb, I agree...

Top Bottom