in trading, UI civs treat all items alike

clif9710

Warlord
When I want to get some fast cash, I've noticed that any given civ will pay the same amount (or will not pay anything) for what I offer.

For example, if I ask Askia what he will give me for 1 cotton, he may offer 90 gold. If I offer 1 incense alone or 1 whales alone it will still be 90 gold.

In other words, there's no point in offering different items, only the quantity makes a difference. If a civ won't give you anything for silver, there's no need to check what he will offer for bananas, because it will be zero as well.

Has anyone found an exception to this?

There also seems to be a two trade limit on a turn. If you make two trades with a civ, that's it. After that he will say "there is no way this is possible"

The ai doesn't care what luxury resource you sell to them, as it's all +4 happy for them and they will always buy it (assuming they can pay for it).

The only trade limit is how much gold the AI has, and how many resources you have to sell them.

This makes sense. Why would they care as long as it is a luxury that they don't have? They will produce the same effect for them.

There are two situations in which i've seen the "not possible" message...the AI does not have a large enough lump sum of gold to make the trade (get gpt), or they are willing to give you so little for your resource that it doesn't even show up.

They will very often say "There's no way this is possible" because for some reason they aren't considering GPT trades either properly or at all. I'll click on GPT and when 5 gpt goes into the pot, suddenly its "oh yeah take that and ill give you 83 gold as well".

They will very often say "There's no way this is possible" because for some reason they aren't considering GPT trades either properly or at all. I'll click on GPT and when 5 gpt goes into the pot, suddenly its "oh yeah take that and ill give you 83 gold as well".

Yeah, I get that all the time, since I do mostly GPT trades. Usually if you are on good terms and nothing flakey is going on in with them in the seething diplo background, you can get 7 GPT for a lux, plus a few extra cash gold on top. Then all of a sudden they pull the "There's no way this is possible" schtick, when they have plenty of GPT available. I think it's due to them starting to get diplo-flakey on you, and not wanting to pay full price. But then they are all smiles and say "Sure thing!" when I ask for 6 GPT +change. Why they can't just make a straight counter offer with what they are willing to pay, instead of that "No way this is possible" BS, I don't know.

Also, some non-luxury items will get you less and less as the game goes on, like horses, iron, coal, etc., until they won't even pay you anything for them anymore.

Yeah, I get that all the time, since I do mostly GPT trades. Usually if you are on good terms and nothing flakey is going on in with them in the seething diplo background, you can get 7 GPT for a lux, plus a few extra cash gold on top. Then all of a sudden they pull the "There's no way this is possible" schtick, when they have plenty of GPT available. I think it's due to them starting to get diplo-flakey on you, and not wanting to pay full price. But then they are all smiles and say "Sure thing!" when I ask for 6 GPT +change. Why they can't just make a straight counter offer with what they are willing to pay, instead of that "No way this is possible" BS, I don't know.

Also, some non-luxury items will get you less and less as the game goes on, like horses, iron, coal, etc., until they won't even pay you anything for them anymore.

7 GPT + 15 gold (friendly luxury sale on Standard speed) comes out to 225 gold, or you can sell the luxury for 240 gold up front. This makes no sense from an economic standpoint (you get a discount for financing???), but that's the way the game is.

Anyway, point was you're generally better off selling it for up front cash.

As far as the OP goes: yes, the AI treats any luxury the same as any other because they net him the same bonus (not take into account random "We love the King" days). The only times when the specific resource matters are when you're dealing with strategic resources; they may not be willing to give you anything for coal but will pay up for oil, for example.

Market rate for annuities must be higher than the player's 0% interest offering, amirite?! That's why the AI demands a discount...maybe it gets better rates frmo the other AI :p

If you add up the various GPT + Gold amounts you'll see it swerves around a bit.
240 gold = 240 gold
83 gold + 5 gpt = 233 gold
15 gold + 7 gpt = 225 gold

Don't know what they'll offer if you force 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, etc. in there. I'm not sure why they wouldn't all come out the same. Rounding issues maybe?

Market rate for annuities must be higher than the player's 0% interest offering, amirite?! That's why the AI demands a discount...maybe it gets better rates frmo the other AI :p

If you add up the various GPT + Gold amounts you'll see it swerves around a bit.
240 gold = 240 gold
83 gold + 5 gpt = 233 gold
15 gold + 7 gpt = 225 gold

Don't know what they'll offer if you force 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, etc. in there. I'm not sure why they wouldn't all come out the same. Rounding issues maybe?

Actually, it's 19 gold + 7 gpt.
But I agree, you should get less gold from selling up front than from gpt deals.
When I want to get some fast cash, I've noticed that any given civ will pay the same amount (or will not pay anything) for what I offer.

For example, if I ask Askia what he will give me for 1 cotton, he may offer 90 gold. If I offer 1 incense alone or 1 whales alone it will still be 90 gold.

In other words, there's no point in offering different items, only the quantity makes a difference. If a civ won't give you anything for silver, there's no need to check what he will offer for bananas, because it will be zero as well.

Has anyone found an exception to this?

There also seems to be a two trade limit on a turn. If you make two trades with a civ, that's it. After that he will say "there is no way this is possible"

I don't even understand half the things you say.

If you don't get any gold for silver, then you don't get any gold for any other luxury? What?!??!
Of course you do, as long as the AI doesn't have the luxury. :confused:

Offering different items is pointless? Ehhhh, wait ... what?

A trade limit per turn? No, doesn't exist.

7 GPT + 15 gold (friendly luxury sale on Standard speed) comes out to 225 gold, or you can sell the luxury for 240 gold up front. This makes no sense from an economic standpoint (you get a discount for financing???), but that's the way the game is.

Anyway, point was you're generally better off selling it for up front cash.

Maybe you are, I prefer GPT. Only exceptions being very early game when you need to rush-buy workers/settlers/archers, or later on when you know you're going to be going to war with a trading partner soon. If all I have is lumpsum cash, I tend to spend it then be dead broke for long periods when emergencies arise. With a good steady GPT rolling in, I can better budget for what I need to buy, and when. Just a different personal style I guess, but it definitely works for me. I play mostly marathon and some epic speed games, and the other civs very often don't have enough cash to do a lumpsum purchase anyway, until very late in the game (if then).

thanks for all the feedback. This forum is the best cause people take the original post and run with the subject, so lots is learned.

This makes sense. Why would they care as long as it is a luxury that they don't have? They will produce the same effect for them.

U r forgetting we love the kings day. At least that matters for me if I need to get a luxury through trade.

Top Bottom