Best Faction to Relearn the Game?

I learned the game as the Gaians and think they're very beginner friendly. It surprises me nobody mentioned them. They only lack in the growth (as in food needed to grow, food production is good) and military department (-1 morale, as if you feel that when you get extra minds worms to fill in your military).

Best beginners factions: Pravin Lal, Chairman Yang, Lady Deirdre. I already know that as a 'noob'.

I suppose this may be less true at lower difficulty levels, but Yang actually requires a great deal of skill to pilot due to his poor economic performance, especially in the early game. Hive players are likely to expand too fast and stall out without a strong understanding of the game's mechanics.

I suppose this may be less true at lower difficulty levels, but Yang actually requires a great deal of skill to pilot due to his poor economic performance, especially in the early game. Hive players are likely to expand too fast and stall out without a strong understanding of the game's mechanics.

Indeed. Best tip as Hive is to build free buildings first (having completed wonders and there are none to build or if a better base is building them) and not build any maintanence buildings until economy is stable. Stockpiling energy is also quite important in certain cases.

I'm a huge fan of University as the faction that gives you the most options. If you want, you can use almost any other faction's social engineering(except Believers), and still have a significant Tech Tree boost, both from the +2 Research socialeng and from the free network nodes.

Plus, as is discussed in this thread, the Alien Artifacts require a Network Node to unlock the tech boost, which is one of the better effects of an AA. Finishing projects and units is really simple once you have crawlers, so I prefer saving my AAs for leapfrogging my opponents, then I can attack their synthmetal garrisons with my drop shard invaders (with space elevators) and if I completely wipe out their base during my attack and it is in a great location, I just use my drop colony pod and replace it.

Also, trade other factions for as much as you can before you pronounce vendetta or use an AA.

--The FNP

I think the "Hybrid" factions (i.e. Lal and Deirdre) are best, with Lal easily taking the cake as the best way to familiarize yourself with the game. His advantages are both powerful (free turbo-powered Human Genome Project!) and well-suited for any playstyle, while having insignificant disadvantages (you're probably not even going to feel the -1 EFFIC for quite some time).

Though the best faction for learning the game would probably be some sort of Sid Meier faction like in Civ IV: No advantages, no disadvantages.

Seconding Gaia as a good faction for relearning the game. Their only substantial negative is not being able to use Free Market. I find PKs better at playing builder than momentum, but Gaia can play any style and do well, and does a lot better at playing with native life.

University is fairly easy. But I like to relearn (I only play 2 or 3 times a year at most) with the Morganites. This is by far my favorite faction in this game. You can do so much in this game with money (energy), it's like EZ mode. Everything can be bought just about.

I just downloaded the game and I haven't played it for over a decade. I took the believers as my first faction but I remember that you had to be careful to not get out researched with them. I guess that a very aggressive strategy works best for them.

Attachments

• newbs.jpg
    newbs.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 81
  • newbsBase.jpg
    newbsBase.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 341
Top Bottom