Installing Dune Wars and Installation Issues

hi, i tried version 1-6-1 of your mod and love it. the site where the latest version of your mod is blocked where I live. Is there another place I can download it from?

hi, i tried version 1-6-1 of your mod and love it. the site where the latest version of your mod is blocked where I live. Is there another place I can download it from?

The site mediafire.com is where we have placed both 1.6.1 and the latest version, 1.7. So if you got 1.6.1 from there, you should be able to get 1.7. However, I know that 1.6.1 has been copied to several other sites, and perhaps these other sites have not copied 1.7 since it is very recent. Which site did you get 1.6.1 from?

I've written a new testing installer. I'm hoping this script has fixed the problems the installer was having with Steam versions of BtS, as well as the versions which signed their BtS registry to the "current user" root, instead of the more logical "local machine" root; however I need users who were having issues to test it to be sure it works. If you are having an issue with the current Dune Wars or Legends of Revolution installer please see here for details:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=8734996&postcount=5

I can upload the latest version to ModDB, but I was waiting to see if a new Steam compatible version of the installer is going to be available.

I can upload the latest version to ModDB, but I was waiting to see if a new Steam compatible version of the installer is going to be available.
No feedback yet from steam users on if the new installer logic works :sad:

I just got the most recent upload to Fileplanet of this Mod, and have Civ4 BTS 3.19 through Steam, and I'm getting a crash on load when it tries to load XML files. Any help?

I just got the most recent upload to Fileplanet of this Mod, and have Civ4 BTS 3.19 through Steam, and I'm getting a crash on load when it tries to load XML files. Any help?

I wasn't aware fileplanet was hosting DW. That is fine. What version do you have? Are you using Windows Vista? Assuming you have DW version 1.6 and Vista, probably what you need to do is right click on the icon and select "run as administrator". You can also upgrade to the more recent version 1.7 at this link. Although this will run in normal user mode under vista, the installer may not like your steam installation.

I wasn't aware fileplanet was hosting DW. That is fine. What version do you have? Are you using Windows Vista? Assuming you have DW version 1.6 and Vista, probably what you need to do is right click on the icon and select "run as administrator". You can also upgrade to the more recent version 1.7 at this link. Although this will run in normal user mode under vista, the installer may not like your steam installation.

I got 1.61 from Fileplanet. I am using Vista, but when I "run as administrator" I get the error message "Mods\Dune Wars \ is an invalid mod directory, ignoring" and it just runs standard BTS. I also tried running BTS as an admin and starting it from in game, which just gives me the XML error I got in the first place. I'll try 1.7, do I need to uninstall 1.6 first?

Thanks for the quick reply!

My brother and i play civ over a lan, we have downloaded and installed dunewars version 1.7, but no matter how many times we try to play at some point or another the game will go out of sync. This almost never happens in vannilia civ and when it does it's not a prob, because we just load auto save and continue, but in dunewars at the end of the first turn from auto save, without fail, a game sync error will occur.
It's prob worth mentioning that i run on vista but me bro is on xp, not sure if that would cause troubles.

Any suggestions on how this might be fixed, or even the general direction to look in would be appreciated. Thx!

My brother and i play civ over a lan, we have downloaded and installed dunewars version 1.7, but no matter how many times we try to play at some point or another the game will go out of sync.

I remembered a guide somewhere on the forum which contains details about OOS. The guide is very helpful for programmers. But I doubt non-programmers would get much out of it. There is one tip buried there which will help us to debug this problem. Each player should do the following:

1. Edit your local file, My Games/Beyond The Sword/CivilizationIV.ini. Find these lines:
Code:
; Enable the logging system
LoggingEnabled = 0
; Enable synchronization logging
SynchLog = 0
Change both 0 to 1 and save.

2. Start a game and play until out of sync occurs.

3. Find your local file, My Games/Beyond The Sword/Logs/MPLog.txt.

4. *Zip* the file since it is large, and then post it here. We need all the players' files. The point is to compare them and see at what point they start to be different.

I personally have no experience in debugging OOS problems, but collectively, I am sure we can find a solution.

Dune Wars is based on RevolutionDCM 2.6, which does not work in multiplayer. For more information on this, check out the Revolution project forum. Basically that's the main goal for RevDCM right now, is to get it working for MP, but this will take longer then first hoped (originally glider was going for a new years release, but it wol't be done by then, my guess is early February).

Augh! Did previous versions of RevDCM support multiplayer? Is there some detail available about why RevDCM does not support multiplayer (can I help?)

I'm sure glider would appreciate any help you could provide. But I don't know, it's kind of his baby right now, fixing this. RevDCM has never been considered to support Multiplayer, but it wasn't until the 2.6 release that things completely broke (previously it was just liable to go OOS, now it WILL go OOS).

I suggest you take a look at his MP development build on the SVN. Last post of his says this is a playtest beta, I think he wants people to check it out, and try to break it:

https://revolutiondcm.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/revolutiondcm/branches/RevolutionMP/

Come to think of it, I should probably download that SVN, and package it in a zip and announce the MP beta in LoR's and RevDCM's forum as well. The more people who can test it, the better. I think I'll put it in a zip, instead of an installer, because we really want people to test this who will take the time to post saves that break, and do beta testing to help find bugs and squash them. If you release something as an installer, it's more general public release, and alot of users that try things in installer form simply wol't give you good feedback. Which is fine for an official release, but not very useful for a initial public beta build.

Top Bottom