Installing Dune Wars and Installation Issues

Thanks for the speedy and helpful response guys! As soon as me bro and me play again, i'll get that log file for you. Btw just wanted to say that this is a cracking mod, good effort to all who worked on it and keep it up. Thanks!

I've done programming before, but I'm far from being a skilled programmer. As a sworn dune fan, I'd like to contribute - adding subtexts "sid's tips" + + +.
If someone could tell me the basics (programs needed and the files to be modified), I'd be very happy to help :)

Great! We could certainly use more help to fill in the civilopedia text. Please take a look on this thread. A few items have been added there. We can take care of the formatting; please go there and type in the text. That seems to be the hard part.

when I'm in the game, the program will crash if I user ALT+TAB to swich to desktop , my OS is win7 32bit

How do I solve the problem?..

By the way ,I have uninstalled previous version 1.62 ,and install 1.8 ,and i don't have this issue in 1.62

We have not had any other reports of that. Are there other win7 users out there with 1.8? Can you reply whether this is working for you? Does it happen with vanilla civ and/or other mods?

I'm not sure if this is an installation issue or a bug. I did a clean install, with the patch and music and everything works fine except where the messages show up.

There I have about six lines that never go away saying something about cannot find the bug-options folder. Now I'm running my game via Steam and so I'm sure that is why it can't find it. Yet I can't seem to get those basic six messages to leave. The only way I can see messages is to click the pop-up and read them manually. I still hear the sounds and all, just can't see the messages.

Beyond that everything seems to work fine; I like the music since it seems some more has been added since the last time I played.

I'm not sure which version you are using. 1.8, or something older? The BUG options folder is supposed to be created by the DW installer. Can you please find your folder (My Documents)/My Games/Beyond the Sword, and confirm if it has a Dune Wars directory inside it? Inside the Dune Wars directory should be a UserSettings directory with a whole bunch of ini files inside. If you don't have those files, there is some installer problem.

If running the current installer doesn't create them for you, please manually create the Dune Wars/UserSettings directory; don't worry about creating the ini files, the game should at least stop complaining about the bug options directory.

Well I was pretty sure I was using the most up-to-date patch. I had not gotten around to reinstalling Dune Wars after having to reload Vista. I do have the folder under My Documents but there is no Dune folder. In fact, there is no folder for any of the Mods I have. There is a Mods folder under the BTS folder but nothing in it. Everything seems to be there under the Mods folder where Steam keeps all the BTS stuff. So should I just create a file "Dune Wars" under Mods and call it good?

Poking around I cannot find any folder that is UserSettings. That being said, as far as I can tell, that is the only thing that is a problem with my install. Everything else seems to work just find and I have not had a crash or hiccup w/the game.

I do have the folder under My Documents but there is no Dune folder. In fact, there is no folder for any of the Mods I have.

The reason for creating a folder Dune Wars/UserSettings under (My Documents)/My Games/Beyond the Sword is to support Vista or Windows 7 users who do not have write permission into their own Program Files folder. Many mods still write into Program Files, which means players of those mods must select "Run as Administrator" when they start the mod.

Please create a folder Dune Wars under (My Documents)/My Games/Beyond the Sword, and under that please create a folder UserSettings. If that solves your problem, please let us know; then we can try to understand why the installer failed to create this directory in the first place.

Okay, I found the problem. You're installer worked the way it should. However for security reasons, I have set up separate profiles for my wife and I. However, the folder you describe was created under the base admin profile. I logged in as that, found it, copied it to my profile's My Games folder and I just brought up the game. So far, those messages are gone so I'm assuming it's problem resolved! :D

I guess that is something to mention in the installation. I know my PC security teacher was pushing to never use your admin account to do anything other than do PC maintenance and load programs. However, it makes sense that a lot of the programs would create the game files there instead of under the profile used to actually play the game, especially through Steam. Thanks for the help! :goodjob:

To bad you can't steal the opening movie from Dune 2000 for the beginning movie of this mod. (I loved that game; best use of the C&C engine ever!)

I Get the following "First-chance exception at 0x77adac0f in Civ4BeyondSword.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x6df73e57.
Unhandled exception at 0x77adac0f in Civ4BeyondSword.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x6df73e57." message when I attach to process. This happens when starting a game (play now and custom start).

What version are you using? If you run a game without using the debugger, does it write anything into the python log (do you have python exceptions and logging enabled?) Does it happen on every start? What operating system are you using?

If you have downloaded the 1.9 beta, please put that feedback onto the 1.9 beta feedback thread, since it is not yet officially released.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.

I unistalled civ4 and then reinstalled it from the civilization 4 complete dvd. Then I patched it up to 3.17 and then to 3.19 then finally installed dune wars.

Dune wars seams to work fine until I try to load a game I've just saved, Is this a bug or am I being an idiot! It flashes up a message about not being able to uncompress the file or something but it's to quick to read.

Help me please, I'm really liking this mod but not being able to load makes it unplayable.

Also I have never moded civ 4 before so I know little about it.

The message you got usually occurs if you've started a game with one patch/version, then updated to a new patch/version that breaks save games (as most of them will). Try starting a new game, saving it, then loading it and let me know what happens.

Also, let me know what version of DuneWars you have installed if you still have the problem after trying that.

I'm playing dune wars 1-9-1b at lest that's what the installer is called.
I installed civ 4 complete from the dvd
then patched beyond the sword to 3.17
then patched beyond the sword to 3.19

It did this the first time I tried to install dune wars (same version), and It can't be because of an updated patch/version because I saved the game and then load the save straight away to test it and the same thing happened.

I've got the game and mod on my external D drive because of limited space and I thought that might affect it so I move the save file to my D drive as well still no change

We've patched a lot of things since 1.9.1b, and I wasn't even working on Dune Wars at the time of that release, and I don't know if it was a problem specific with it. I do know we haven't had any problems with the latest patches, download 1.9.4, install it right on top of 1.9.1b, and see if it fixes it . It should at least (will definitely break old save games, so start a new one).

Hope that'll solve your problems.

Hey for Steam users I noticed an issue that I have not seen posted in this thread ( If it has been I didn't notice ) but you should completely exit the steam app. After I did tatI was able to install Dune 1.9 Final from the MOD DB website aswell asthe music pack. However when I patch to 1.9.6 I get weird graphic errors like red circlesaround soldiers and strange terrain textures. I tried the .4 patch and got a million XML erros and CTD. Could anyone give me a hand fixing this?

Hey for Steam users I noticed an issue that I have not seen posted in this thread ( If it has been I didn't notice ) but you should completely exit the steam app. After I did tatI was able to install Dune 1.9 Final from the MOD DB website aswell asthe music pack. However when I patch to 1.9.6 I get weird graphic errors like red circlesaround soldiers and strange terrain textures. I tried the .4 patch and got a million XML erros and CTD. Could anyone give me a hand fixing this?

1.9.6 is a patch for Dune Wars 1.9.1 which is a full version of the mod rather than a patch. It won't work with Dune Wars 1.9 as you have discovered.

To get a working install of 1.9.6:

1. Delete your Dune Wars folder to start with a clean slate. (This will be within your steamapps ... Beyond the Sword folder )
2. Install 1.9.1b.
3. Install the 1.9.6 patch.
4. Install the music pack.

The welcome thread is kept up-to-date with the latest versions.

Top Bottom