Tectonics

I was getting the instant 'game over' bug and replaced the lua from the package downloaded through the mod browser with the one here in the top post. Solved the issue.

Files do not match ;)

edit: Whoops, just read the lua. The mod browser does have the latest (v2) and the top post is actually v1 (missed that, sorry). So whatever is causing the empty map is actually related to the latest update. Tried various settings, no other mods, etc. Can't seem to get it going :confused:

I did the same thing before seeing heinous' post; it worked exactly fine.

Love your mod. I can't use the version tgrough the in game mod browser though, I also use the bigger worlds mod; they don't really mesh I think.

I've noticed one thing though.
The only mountains that seem to generate are high snow covered ones. I don't think I've seen the other, lower, brown mountains yet. Is this something to do with the climate thing? Really odd seeing a snow covered peak in the middle of the dessert.

Tectonics+giant map= stunning! Absolutely amazing maps that feel so much better in scale and layout then anything the vanilla generator creates.

I think I'm going to scrap the in game browser altogether if it just causes pain.
There's very little difference between the zipped version and the v2 in the mod browser. v1 wouldn't show up because of 'require' but I didn't manage to make it private with the hyper-user-friendly-ModBuddy.
I managed to get the v2 to work and downloaded it to test from the web, but since ModBuddy is happy to put things into my run directory, I've got no way to make sure that it works because the distributed file is correct or because my local files are good but the package is screwed...

Well, I found that using "make private" in detailed mod description works, they just probably have many servers to balance the load, and it takes a minute to show up when you "refresh". Often it alternates between previous private settings and current ones based on the server "refresh" hits.

Weird. I've got plenty of brown mountains in my current game. I don't know yet how they define these, nor how the climate thing works.

I'm using your script with the WorldSize mod, and playing with a giant map. Is it possible it's some sort of compatibility thing with the other mod?

I'm on another map now and have only the grey snow covered peaks again; no alternate mnts.

Aside from that one little thing, your script combined with the larger map size makes for some AMAZING maps. The scale is absolutely perfect, and it feels like it could be real world.

Edit: Come to think of it,
I did have one map that generate the other brown mnts.
I wonder if it's simply doing one or the other, or perhaps it's the region I'm in. The maps are so big I have yet to see an entire world uncovered in any of the games I've played. I'l make a point to uncover the entire world and see what's what.

Another edit: It's the Bigger Worlds mod I'm using; not WorldSizes.

It may be a region issue indeed. I think the terrain tiles look different, Africa-like, Asia-like and whatnot, so this might be the reason.

Regarding those who have had issues with the version downloaded from mod browser, I reproduced that, so I'm checking what's wrong with it.

ok. Got it. More likely to happen on small maps I believe.
Need replacing plotNumbers on lines 231, 235, 239 with (plotNumbers or 0).
I'm going to upload new version asap.

New version uploaded on ModBuddy. Old ones made private.

So glad you're working on this mod for Civ 5, it was my favorite map script for Civ4. I think I might have been the first person to post on your civ4 script. Can't wait to try this out and play with it some. I'll also have to try the giant map mod with this.

I uploaded v4.
It adds some control over the water proportion. The 90% gives quite weird settings. 70% is probably best for earthlike. 30% water looks cool too.

I tried to give exact control over the proportion of water, so when you say 70%, it is really 70%, give or take a few tiles. In Civ IV, it could be way more random.

I'm not sure I like the current implementation, as it tends to generate a lot of lakes, and apparently the default script adds in some more, probably when it adds rivers. Sometimes, you also end up with many snaky islands or continents, and the land is far too often a Pangaea, and rarely has more than 2 big continents. Getting back to a more random proportion would probably restore a wider variety in the number of continents and less snaly peninsulas.

Could you or someone please upload the latest version to be downloaded separately? I get internet for my PC only for installing games or programs that need it, so I have to use Steam offline and can't get the map. So a separate download that I can get from other PCs would be great :)

I uploaded v4.
It adds some control over the water proportion. The 90% gives quite weird settings. 70% is probably best for earthlike. 30% water looks cool too.

I tried to give exact control over the proportion of water, so when you say 70%, it is really 70%, give or take a few tiles. In Civ IV, it could be way more random.

I'm not sure I like the current implementation, as it tends to generate a lot of lakes, and apparently the default script adds in some more, probably when it adds rivers. Sometimes, you also end up with many snaky islands or continents, and the land is far too often a Pangaea, and rarely has more than 2 big continents. Getting back to a more random proportion would probably restore a wider variety in the number of continents and less snaly peninsulas.

Your Tectonics funtions very well :goodjob:

It's a good beginning, so i would like to have the possibility to have a choice of different climates like :

- Würm glaciation world
- Cold world
- Temperate World
- Warm World
- Desertic World

What do you think ?

Nice mapscript, my preferate at the moment for Civ 5 :goodjob:

It seems to generate a lot of mnts. along coasts.

Would it be possible to have an option to adjust the among of desert?

Hi LDiCesare!

I have tried your mapscript with for some days now and had a GREAT game with it.

But 90% of the time im starting in a) tundra or b) in complete lowlands without a single hill or (the worst) a) and b) together. I havent figured out, if the startbias have something to do with it, even though disabling them didnt make any difference.

Mountains along coasts are a feature yes. It might be better with a short strip of land between the mountains and the sea, but Alps in southern France, Andes are good examples.

Regarding climate, it's on my todo list.

I'd also like to be able to provide a better interface for customising the script. Right now ther are variables for the proportion of sea, land, hills (and therefore mountains), but a user interface with sliders would be great. I suck at user interface, though, so don't get too much hope there. I'll certainly tune and add more content first.

I attached version 4 as a zip for those who prefer (way faster than using ModBuddy to be honest).

Attachments

• Tectonics.zip
    3.1 KB · Views: 144
Hi LDiCesare!

I have tried your mapscript with for some days now and had a GREAT game with it.

But 90% of the time im starting in a) tundra or b) in complete lowlands without a single hill or (the worst) a) and b) together. I havent figured out, if the startbias have something to do with it, even though disabling them didnt make any difference.

I haven't looked at climate yet so tundra is nto my fault ;)
As for lowlands, I must tune again to try to get some more hills. What map size do you use? I know there were sometimes too many flatlands in the civ IV version on big maps so I guess the same problem can be present here too.
I'll may be tweaking the starting positions someday in the future but that's not a priority.

Top Bottom