1.9.6 Feedback

Great! Glad you've got it working. Hope you enjoy the mod. Please post any feedback here, or ask any questions you like - the initial learning curve can be a bit steep, since there are so many new mechanics. Also make sure to check out the in-game Dune-o-pedia, which describes many of the changes from regular Civ 4: Beyond the sword.

Heres some feedback, Im playing for House Corrino, and Ive noticed a bug, House Corrino has a special unit available only to it, thats the leviet laser trooper, which is stronger than the lasercannon trooper but is available a little earlier, both are guardsman upgrades, the broblem is that the leviet trooper is "rteplaced by the weaker but later lascannon trooper, so I can only build the LC trooper after a certain upgrade, and the special Corrino unit isnt available for build since the LC Trooper counts as a natural upgrade.

Im playing on the third difficyulty level, Am I and the AI balanced, or is he game cheating for me?

Thanks=)

I'll check out the Levy trooper issue. If it is obsoleted by a unit that is weaker, then we'll need to fix that.

From memory, the human and AI are equal on Noble difficulty. Below that you have an advantage, above that the AI does.

I would prefer to fix the polar cities by making the ice they extract stronger. Either make polar shiper building free in all cities (or just make ice produce food without building) or make water from ice stronger (perhaps all the way to 2 water per ice).

Heres some more, Im playing on Noble, Strongest civ on map. all researched, and now that I have the whole map visible It looks to me like the AI is not rebuilding destroyed cities, so the Fremen for example seem to have only 5 cities even though a lot of space to build. Is that a setting or a bug?

There's no particular setting, but if they have a very weak economy, they might not be building settlers or expanding much, because they don't want to deal with maintenance costs. Or they might be so afraid of your military that they're focused on military rather than expanding to build more cities that they couldn't defend.

I would prefer to fix the polar cities by making the ice they extract stronger. Either make polar shiper building free in all cities (or just make ice produce food without building) or make water from ice stronger (perhaps all the way to 2 water per ice).

that would unbalance to many stuff and be to strong

Hi there, first of all it is really a wonderfull Mod you`d build so far but I´m wondering about two issues, the first one is that I completly can`t use any diplomatic option, cause the part under the Picture in the diplomatic window remains blank, so after all it`s kind of sad that this doesn`t work here, It seems that I´m the only one with this kind of Problems, the second on is that I´m playing on the biggest map possible so here it is mammoth and with maximum details, but after several Rounds the game kicked me back to desktop and telling me that there are problems with allocating the grafics to my card and that i should lower the details. Has anyone other this kind of Problem with mammoth Maps?
Edit: Just forgot to tell, I found an old Entry in this Forum regarding to delete the Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\CustomAssets\ but this haven`t worked for me.

Welcome to the forum! Most people who play Dune Wars stick to the large size map, rather than mammoth. There are nine civs, and there are some minor bugs which come up if you have more than nine players. One or two civs don't work "quite right" if there are two copies of them. So we have not had too much trouble with players running out of video memory.

Regarding diplomacy, that is an odd problem. I am not sure the following will cure this particular problem, but it does seem to cure many problems. When you installed, did you install first 1.9.1, and then 1.9.6? This is the required install order. If you did that, could you try uninstalling, and then installing *only* the 1.9.1 release? Regardless of whether that fixes the problem, please let us know the result.

H,,,,hi and thx for your Tipps, worked fine this time, I uninstalled all, installed 1.9.1 again and started a try, worked fine, then installed the patch and it is still working fine. I think I had the first time Installed dune through Desura, but can`t tell for sure, think mostly I made somewere a mistake like patching a 1.9.0. or something like that :D After all it`s now running smoothly and now I will play on a large map and not the mammoth even if I really would like to, but its more annoying that after about 100 turns the game is crashing with that and i had to start new or something like that ;) after all I should had notice the soucpicion that the mammoth kind is loading about 2,5 times longer then the large one :) So now I go and free Arrakis for the Fremens sake :D

Hi,
i'm only in the first game of 1.9.6 but I just feel like i need to comment some things:

#polar cities:
they've prooven to be VERY valuable. despite the additional water in my other cities.
they are built exactly the right distance apart, in order not to interfere (AI built them, I just conquerd). because every tile gives water and the Polar-Ice gives additional water, and the non sink tiles are all improoved with solar panels they have good water and production. maybe the amount of sink-tiles could be reduced a little... think this would give enough boost to make them from "very worthy" to "extremly worthy" even without improvements on the sinks. I just like the look of it now: deep desert and deep polar is unsetteled, all cities are in a small valuable stripe in between.

#promotions:
I boosted most promotions, but tryied to keep the balance... just personal I feel that promotions should ALL be worth more.

#lasguns vs. shields
I know this discussion is dead... but I still feel that this should be reflected in the game as in the books.
maybe when lasgun and shield fight each other, there could be done some collateral damage to ALL (including the fighting ones, or just reduce both HP by 50% on the first fighting round) units within reach (like one tile radius)? Shouldn't AI be able to handle it, when it is done with the collateral damage thing?

#fremen culture vs. outsiders
with the water bonuses from shai hulud and fremen usually having shai hulud as religion and the water-debt promotions it is represented quite well. But still I feel the difference should be more (the difference, not the balance). the fremen don't waste any water, so maybe they could use by default less water for population. (e.g. 1water/person, other civs 2water/person) but on the other hand they might not be able (or don't want) to drill such deep wells or aquabores (because they "damage" the planet)???

#gameplay, look and feel:
all in all: just incredibly great!!!
really good job! One can really taste the dry sand on it's lips while playing!

P.S.: installed 1.9.1, patched it with 1.9.6, and added music package, all on acer aspire with ATI graphic+omega drivers, with old winXP service pack 3... and all is working fine on marathon with second biggest map and 9 players (including me).

I know this discussion is dead... but I still feel that this should be reflected in the game as in the books.
maybe when lasgun and shield fight each other, there could be done some collateral damage to ALL (including the fighting ones, or just reduce both HP by 50% on the first fighting round) units within reach (like one tile radius)? Shouldn't AI be able to handle it, when it is done with the collateral damage thing?
This doesn't sound very balanced or fun, in a game that is all about big stacks of units.

ut still I feel the difference should be more (the difference, not the balance). the fremen don't waste any water, so maybe they could use by default less water for population. (e.g. 1water/person, other civs 2water/person) but on the other hand they might not be able (or don't want) to drill such deep wells or aquabores (because they "damage" the planet)???
Fremen do use less water; they have the Deathstills building that means less water is needed to gain new population levels. Changing 1 water per person would be an enormous change that would be impossible to balance. I don't see why Fremen would be unwilling to drill deep wells, they have no canon reason to not want to extract water. They live in cave systems and drill enormous water storage tanks.

#gameplay, look and feel:
all in all: just incredibly great!!!
Great! Glad you're enjoying.

the pedia has some holes. the list of promotions in the promotions section ends after the letter "D" and if i click on any promotion no info pops up in the main pedia frame

Hey guys. Did a clean install of 1.9 and the 1.9.6 patch and now the palaces for Corrino and Fremen are not providing sardaukar or water debt resources.

edit: OMFG nevermind did not install the final version. Great mod btw.

Hi, haven't played Civ in ages so 1.9.6 is my first experience with this mod. Few things I noticed(playing on just Warlord level for now).

1. In an early game war(Ix vs. Atreides/Alia if it matters) the AI pulled all of it's combat units out of one of it's smaller frontline cities leaving only a worker. I was able to capture the worker and city with a thropter. So I guess two things here. One, can you force the AI to not to leave it's city completely defenseless or is it counting the worker as a defender? And two, is a thopter taking a city WAD?

2. Took an espionage hit on one of my cities. I'm assuming 'water stealing' since the water went from surplus to -5. Prior to the attack the city was at pop 13 nearing peak at 14. After the attack I could only get the city back to 12. Did something get messed in the Seals/Qanat bonus or is the theft ongoing and I need to do something?

3. Buildings can't be destroyed in Civ4 correct? And I assume terraforming can't be undone either. Launched a war to prevent an AI terraforming victory and keep the spice flowing. Now I've taken a rather large city with a Catchbasin. Kinda defeats the purpose of the conflict:)

4. Just my opinion but I've found the 'No Ship' to be pretty useless as anything but a spy plane. The 12 combat strength just isn't enough to go against other late game units.

5. Thanks to everyone who contributed to making this mod. Really enjoying it.

Hi LCJr, welcome to the CFC forums and the Dune Wars mod, glad you're enjoying it.

1. I've never observed this. I wonder if low difficulty level meant the AI just didn't have enough units to fight a decent war. It certainly wouldn't be counting a worker as a military unit, and the AI normally has very high priority on defending cities.
I see no particular reason why thopters or suspensors shouldn't be able to take cities.

2. Water stealing in the early game probably means that there is a barbarian waterstealer unit nearby (or that you have been victim to water theft from a Fremen espionage unit; I forget the exact feedback you'll get for different actions).
The Fremen effect wears off, the Waterstealer effect ends if you kill the waterstealer or it moves away.

3. Buildings can't be sold or removed voluntarily, but they can be destroyed involuntarily when a city is captured, or via some espionage actions.
Catchbasins *should* be removed on any turn in which their owner does not have Arrakis Paradise civic operating.
Terraforming is supposed to be undone if the tile loses moisture access (eg after well is pillaged or a catchbasin/reservoir destroyed).
If these are not working, this is a bug. I'm pretty sure these used to work?
However, the terraforming requirement is one based on terrain within your own borders, and so capturing cities from a terraforming player will still prevent them from winning a terraforming victory.

4. Its funny, many other people have complained that the No Ship is still too strong and too annoying, because it is basically uncounterable. The No Ship has to be low strength, otherwise it is massively overpowered. It can't be used for taking on full-health land units, but it is great at picking off workers or damaged units or some low strength desert units. Try using aerial bombardments to weaken units first and then the no ship to finish them off if you want; the no ship is basically immune to counterattack.

5. Thanks!

1. First time I've seen that too. One possibility is my thropter was out of their sight range. This probably answered someplace else but what effect does the difficulty level have on the AI's willingness to declare war?

2. It was espionage and I've been hit by the same thing again but this time water levels went back to their correct levels. Just a fluke? I really need to work on my espionage defence.

3. Thanks for the clarification. I'll keep at it and see what happens.

4. Poor tactics and rank picks on my part then. I haven't had them used against me yet so I'll see what I think of them when that happens.

5. You're welcome.

Top Bottom