Liberated Cities - Votes Counted?

Passo

Chieftain
Hello there,

This is my first post on these forums, so I apologise if my question has been asked before. I have used the search function but haven't found anything that matches my question. Feel free to just point me to a thread if my question has been asked.

Now, onto the question. In my current game, I liberated Quebec from the evil Khan. They were happy with me, and we're best buddies. However, when I check the victory conditions, the table showing who would do best in the UN vote says that I haven't liberated any city states.

However, the projected votes do say that I will get two votes - one from Begrade, and one from another city state which for some reason isn't listed (when I hover over the number of city states' in the UN Vote window it only says 'You are allied with: Belgrade'). I'm assuming it's Quebec as they're currently my only other ally.

See this photo (my keyboard doesn't have a screenshot button): http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/585/1345475358749.jpg/

Has anyone used liberated cities during UN votes? Does it definitely work? I'm sure it does, but I just want to get some other viewpoints.

Thanks in advance.

As far as I know, liberating city states does not guarantee a vote from them, just a large boost of like 160 influence or something. Now if you liberate a civilization you will definitely get their +1 vote, even if they hate your guts. Pretty sure the liberated section on tha screen only applies to civs as well, not CS, even though it's the same symbol.

Liberated City-States will vote for whoever most recently liberated them. It doesn't matter what your influence level with them is after liberating the. You can even be at WAR with a city-state you previously liberated, and they'll still vote for you.

I just tested this out by loading an autosave I had two turns before a diplo win. First I declared war on two CS I had liberated, then immediately made peace so that I was at "angry". Both allied with another civ the following turn. Both voted for me. I reloaded and declared war on them again but did not make peace. The next turn they still voted for me.

I don't know whether the 'projected' votes part works correctly or not. I know that liberation is not presented correctly in the replays sometimes - both city-states and two civs that I liberated in that match showed as being MY cities in the map replay of that game.

---Yea, the victory progress projection is messed up. City-states that should be listed under "liberated" are being placed under "city-state". My tally shows 10 city-states there, even though I declared war on two of them - they aren't named in the list, but weren't placed under liberated, and my total votes stayed the same.

So TLDR : If you are the most recent civ to liberate a city-state, you WILL get its vote, no matter what.

That's exactly what I guessed had happened. Thanks very much for testing it out for me - much appreciated! Now I just have to kill Alexander...

Liberated City-States will vote for whoever most recently liberated them. It doesn't matter what your influence level with them is after liberating the. You can even be at WAR with a city-state you previously liberated, and they'll still vote for you.

I just tested this out by loading an autosave I had two turns before a diplo win. First I declared war on two CS I had liberated, then immediately made peace so that I was at "angry". Both allied with another civ the following turn. Both voted for me. I reloaded and declared war on them again but did not make peace. The next turn they still voted for me.

I don't know whether the 'projected' votes part works correctly or not. I know that liberation is not presented correctly in the replays sometimes - both city-states and two civs that I liberated in that match showed as being MY cities in the map replay of that game.

---Yea, the victory progress projection is messed up. City-states that should be listed under "liberated" are being placed under "city-state". My tally shows 10 city-states there, even though I declared war on two of them - they aren't named in the list, but weren't placed under liberated, and my total votes stayed the same.

So TLDR : If you are the most recent civ to liberate a city-state, you WILL get its vote, no matter what.

It's no longer the case for City states, you just get a bucketload of Influence that should get you the vote (unless violent things or some serious amount of cash is thrown)

It's no longer the case for City states, you just get a bucketload of Influence that should get you the vote (unless violent things or some serious amount of cash is thrown)

No. You're wrong. Did you even read my post? I tested this literally while typing up my previous post. Yes, you gain influence. No, your current influence doesn't matter if you were the most recent player to have liberated that city-state. I was allied in my regular victory, I was at angry in my first test, I was at WAR with them in my second test. In every case, I got the vote.

If you liberate them, you get the vote, as long as they aren't captured and liberated by someone else afterwards. Your influence level, friendly, allied, or war status with them is irrelevant. The projected votes screen in the diplomatic portion of victory progress is bugged in regards to liberations.

Yes it's written as such, but it's no longer quite the case because it was buggy. For instance I nuked a Liberated State recently (well mostly was nuking the guy next to him and forgot about it) and lost the vote. It also doesn't show up in that tab. They likely simplified the code to just go by influence.

I also had a game where a CS changed hands a few times from war and 2 of us ended up with the bonus influence and I managed to flip a vote with Spies where I wasn't the last one... However no I can't confirm since it's now just a blip on my HOF.

It doesn't go by just influence. I'll repeat it once more : Whether I was allied, angry, or at war with the city-states I had liberated, I still got their vote. I *specifically* tested angry by declaring war, then making peace, just to ruin my influence, to make sure no 'behind the scenes your influence level is hidden because you are at war' sillyness was taking place, like when a CS declares war on you because of another civ, then when you make peace it returns to neutral/friendly.

If there was a CS changing hands multiple times, then the vote went to the other player because you weren't the most recent liberator. Since you can't confirm otherwise, and I have already affirmed my statements...

Did someone else become Ally when you trashed your Influence? To be honest I don't mind being wrong on this, had one diplo win in the last 2 months messing with Sweden being all war like, and have yet to produce a game where Liberated CS =! CS Ally.

In my game the Liberated Civ I accidentally nuked went to war with me, but also got Peaceblocked by the new Ally I was at war with to Peaceblock my other allies with him. So I don't know what the limits are to the system, but since I have a bunch of other games I want to play lined up so I'll just leave it as that till I get a chance to mess with the mechanics again.

From last time I played and was in this situation, I seem to remember nefloyd being correct. I liberated some civs, lost the ally status to someone else, but they still voted for me.

Did someone else become Ally when you trashed your Influence?

Yea, America snatched one of them up in both cases (Angry/War). The other I don't think anyone did.

That dude would just not leave anyone alone that game. I had to liberate Venice, the sole city between my turf and his, like 3 times. I rezzed the Spanish AND the Ethiopians, too. He simply wouldn't make peace until I finally had to unleash a force to crush him (thank you battleships and bombers).

Best part was I had just taken out the #1 world power and was clearly sitting there myself when China, the worst player apart from the recently-liberated dead civs, decides "I have to attack you even though I think I'll lose" and quite obviously does within about the 4 turns it took to move bombers, annihilate his entire army, and paratroop capture 2/3rds of his empire. /eyeroll

It seems the testing that has been done clearly answers the question about CS voting.
What I want to know is abotu Civ voting. In my current game I have liberated Rome, should I manage a diplo route for victory will Rome vote for me? Unfortunately the vicotry status screen only show liberated cities as zero, so I presume the liberated cities ni this screen only applies to CS and not other civs you have liberated. For sure this is an issue that needs to be addressed by the devs. Too much confusion.

TIA- Frdmlover

Civs will do the same thing. Their vote goes to whoever most recently liberated them. The victory screen is just flat out bugged

Top Bottom