Carrier Deck?

Tularis

Chieftain
Hello,

I have been a Fan of the Civ games for years but only just discovered Alpha Centauri and I LOVE IT!

However I just have a few questions....

I am playing a mammoth game and I was looking for a way to transport lost of Planes / Missiles / Choppers. Air Units.. and after some googling found out I need to give the unit the "Carrier Deck" ability.

Now I have researched "Nanometallurgy" but I still can't give my transport unit the "Carrier Deck" ability....

Am I doing something wrong??

Also what does AAA stand for?

Click "U" in game to open the unit design workshop. If you change the "weapon" to Transport, you should be able to select the "Carrier Deck" ability from the abilities and design a transport unit with a Carrier Deck. (They're pretty useless in-game, though, at least IMO.)

AAA stands for Anti-Aircraft Artillery. It's a military term in modern parlance as well.

Yeah... that's what I thought... But I don't have the option for "Carrier Deck" :(
Is this a bug in SMAX?

I thought that might be the case with AAA, so how is it then when I tell an AAA unit to attack an Air-Craft it doesn't.... :?

Hey Tularis,

Welcome to CivFanatics and the Alpha Centauri forum!

Do your sea transports already have two special abilities? If so, you can't add any more, such as a carrier deck.

If that doesn't help, are you playing Alpha Centauri, or the Alien Crossfire expansion? What version number? (To see the version, press Ctrl-F4 from within the game.)

They don't have any abilities

Here is a screen shot....

And Oooh I am on V 1.0 I'm guessing I should have patched??

Yes, you definitely want to have patch 2.0. Before you start a new game, try this: Under MENU --> Game --> Preferences, locate the option for Design units automatically. If it's checked, uncheck it and if it's unchecked, check it. Does the carrier deck ability now appear? If that doesn't work, you'll need to start a new game. Good luck!

Cheers guys. This worked.

Just had another question... Is there an easy way to select all my bases and set them all to build one thing? I.E Formers or Orbital Defence. (Without having to set it on each base individually)

Cheers guys. This worked.

Just had another question... Is there an easy way to select all my bases and set them all to build one thing? I.E Formers or Orbital Defence. (Without having to set it on each base individually)

Not that I'm aware of. You can scroll through your bases alphabetically by clicking the arrows next to the name of the base on the base screen, though. That should reduce the time needed to change build orders.

Oh dam. A select all - build this would have been great. When you have over 50 bases it can be pain to keep selecting again and again

One more question tho. Does "Automatic Fungus Removal" work, as when I set a former to it rushes off somewhere when there is a patch of fungus right next to him.

Oh dam. A select all - build this would have been great. When you have over 50 bases it can be pain to keep selecting again and again

One more question tho. Does "Automatic Fungus Removal" work, as when I set a former to it rushes off somewhere when there is a patch of fungus right next to him.

Yes, it works. However, as you see, an automated former has a mind of its own!

I see, Yes they seem to think that the best way is to remove random patches from the farthest reaches of planet rather then the few squares next to my base...

Personally, I almost never build carrier decks. ICS is often potent enough that I'll build numerous sea bases as way-stations so my air units can get greater range. I've played up to the middle (middle + 1?) level, so it may change for higher levels. But that's my play style, FWIW.

I thought that might be the case with AAA, so how is it then when I tell an AAA unit to attack an Air-Craft it doesn't.... :?

Just saw the latter part of this comment, which I must have missed last month. Anyway.

In SMAC/X, AAA is a defensive ability. It gives you +100% defenses when attacked by aircraft. However, in order to attack air units, you have to run SAM (surface-to-air missiles) on a ground unit (or maybe sea units, never tried it) or Air Superiority on air units (to be able to attack other air units). Air Superiority air units can also "scramble" to attack opposing air units as the opposing air units try to attack units in or near the base in which your Air Superiority air units are stationed. (They'll do this automatically.)

Top Bottom