Civ IV no longer starts

dartdart

Chieftain
I've been playing Civ IV for years on my Windows Vista PC. It worked fine a couple or three weeks ago. Now, when I click the icon it says I have to run as administrator. If I do nothing happens. I can't see any Civ processes I recognize in Task Manager.

I'm guessing a recent Windows Update broke something. Has anyone solved this yet?

Help.

When I use a shortcut to start Civ4 it runs an instance but does not start loading the game untill I run it again then the initial instance languishes in Task Manager untill I end it's misery.
It is a incompatibility with UAC due to the default install location.
Civ prefers to be run from a folder outside UAC that might be a part of your difficulty too. worth looking at any way.

I assume you changer the exe's preferences to run as administrator ? without effect ? did you try a compatibility mode?

There have been a lot of preupdate patches on win update recently so they might be an issue they will be well covered on various tech forums

Other than that may I suggest a post in the support forum.

Microsoft did everyone a big favor by "updating" the OS last week so that many older programs no longer work, including CIV. The fix and/or work around is posted over in the Tech forum. Thread titles make it obvious where the solutions can be read.

Thank you very much! I was able to get Civ IV running again.

Security risk or not, I think it is truly obnoxious for Microslop to deliberately break things without at least sending out advance notice to the customers.

Top Bottom