The Deity Challenge Line-up #15 - Poland

Total Dom T282.

Slowly starting where I left off before Xmas. After few turns the map seemed vaguely familiar and spending few moment bit digging I found a T280 save. Apparently I was going for toatal domination including religion but I didn't feel swimming the last prophets to overseas CSs so few CSs followed a foreign religion. Also I had 6 pop <=6 cities razing.

Spoiler :
By the looks of it I had been nuking half the world into oblivion to keep the population down but still had 59 happiness.

What I remember from this game is that Alex gave early workers & tons of useful xp before kneeling. Germany backstabbed at some point and stole my nearby CSs but other than hardly anything too bad.
Last civ I found was Persia and that was very, very late - prolly somewhere around T100 and for a Pangaea map I used quite a lot naval vessels. Had the map been easily circumnavigated it'd have been an excellent Pangaea map - now just well above average which doesn't really much as Pangaea maps are drivers - at least 90% are worse than average.

Std Liberty stuff for me but at this late it's pretty much irrelevant. Tech tree finished and Warsaw with 39 pop which is well above my Liberty average though the game was longish.

Do you have a screenshot or two, Grendel?

Nope but I can sure reload a save & take some - I'll add those later today.

As it's about Poland I thought it was Solidarity to the other challenges nevertheless pics illustrate happenings much better than the few words I bothered to write.

Just a bump to say that I've added few pics in the report post.

Poland UA is awesome! I partially tried out Tradition/Piety (Jesuit) and Tradition/Liberty; unfortunately, the attempt I bothered to play all the way through seems like a poor choice, in retrospect. Rather than spend more time on this challenge, I think I'll just move on to the next.

Spoiler :

Instead of pushing to complete more social policies than normal, I took the ultra lazy route and put very little effort into culture, allowing Polands UA to do the work for me.

Social policies
Full Tradition, 4 in Commerce (right side and later 1 extra that had to go somewhere), full Rationalism, and 7 in Freedom

Religion
Sun God
Tithe & Swords into Plowshares
Feed the World & Religious Texts

City Populations at end: 44, 29, 30, and 30

I signed zero research agreements - despite have friends and building Porcelain Tower - which is becoming a bad trend.

Despite this being my fastest science victory, there's definitely more room to improve and I'm starting to see how some of you are winning closer to T200. Not sure I'll get there; it's fun improving the science game, but I'd like to get after some Domination next.

Edit to add: a few things I actually did relatively well
*worker farmed the Greeks for 5 or 6 workers, as well as diverting two of their cities (didn't catch Siam sneaking in later on in the game, though)
*although I wasn't growing the cities well enough mid-game, I really got them rolling late game to end up with a 29 pop smallest city
*I got Freedom passed as World Ideology: timed it well to adopt just before the 2nd (I think) session, made trade deals with several people to vote for Freedom and a few more after the other civs started choosing order/autocracy. This cost a fair bit of money, but likely contributed to several late-adopters choosing Freedom and making late game unhappiness only a minor issue

Spoiler :

T224 Science

I picked this up because there wasn't another game ongoing. After an INCREDIBLE start (compared with any other game I've played, and even considering I've played this map more than twice before), I decided to go for the fastest science game I could muster.

I have to say, I don't know how my game could have gone any better, except if there were a strong faith pantheon. The AI were totally unthreatening, I found a ton of ruins, I snowballed loads from an early time, and eventually completely ran away.

At one point, I was convinced I was going to beat Acken's time and got really excited about that. I even thought it could have been a sub-T200 time, but it goes to show how little I comparatively know about Science victories that I finished more than 20 turns after that :(

Regardless, I learned a lot about Science this game, having chosen Order to test the idea that it's better for fast victories. I don't want to go back to the turn I chosen Ideology to compare it, as I find Science pretty boring (what do you do besides click no to 'Open Borders'?).

My major thought right now is looking at what I did and seeing where to shave off the 25 turns to achieve the sub-T200 that everyone talks about. Is it just that starting dirt gives more food and therefore slightly faster reaching the last tech? Or can religion knock off 25 turns, by allowing 3-4 GS purchases, etc?

Wow, that was insane!

Speaking from a (obviously) noob perspective, since you were 2 turns away from a GS, you could have sped it up by fitting him in around 215ish, either by getting earlier schools or passing Science funding

T224 Science

My major thought right now is looking at what I did and seeing where to shave off the 25 turns to achieve the sub-T200 that everyone talks about. Is it just that starting dirt gives more food and therefore slightly faster reaching the last tech? Or can religion knock off 25 turns, by allowing 3-4 GS purchases, etc?

T224 SV is not so bad for a player who doesn't like SV at all ;)

AFAIK there were only 5 sub 200T SV games posted on this forum since BNW, made by three players [(me, Acken, tommynt); and only one in HOF rules], so it's really not so easy :D

You can hope for three GSs probably only with desert folklore, although good religion help a lot.

My quick advice - try freedom, once you get used to it, it's really smoother and easier than order.

I think the result was almost handed to me by many unlikely events that happened in the first 100 turns or so, including unguarded settlers, 3x the normal amount of ruins, no AI hating me, everyone dog piling Genghis, me taking his capital then selling it to Siam for more than 100GPT, stuff like that. That insane amount of gold so early allowed me to rush buy so many things and tiles and completely snowball.

I usually go freedom, but someone told me Order is better if you think you can finish more quickly?

@Stormtrooper: Science Funding in my games is so rare. Korea and Mongolia wanted it, but the others wouldn't take ANY amount of bribes to vote for it.

T224 Science
Did you clip Alex's wings, so to speak? He seems to not have expanded anywhere in the north, unlike on other people's screenshots.

I might give this one a try with something like Liberty/Piety, since getting a religion looks easy with that Uluuru. But I guess I will have to build a bunch of units early to fend off the diques who would want to claim the land. There is probably space for 7-9 cities.

Did you clip Alex's wings, so to speak? He seems to not have expanded anywhere in the north, unlike on other people's screenshots.

I might give this one a try with something like Liberty/Piety, since getting a religion looks easy with that Uluuru. But I guess I will have to build a bunch of units early to fend off the diques who would want to claim the land. There is probably space for 7-9 cities.

I made DoF with him and used units to block his settlers. He therefore kept sending them south close to a barb camp that he never cleared, which grew and grew until I decided I wanted to clear it. Darius expanded onto this block of land early as well, and helped in that regard.

Well, you have a 5th or 6th city near the spot he planted Sparta in other people's games. I assume the initial warrior ran south to grab that first Greek settler?

No his first settler went elsewhere, but I grabbed an unguarded one and some workers after that, before I made DoF. After he settled his 2nd city to the E, he send the next few south where they got barbed.

As i tried to make clear in my write-up, I don't think you'll get the same set of circumstances i had. seemed like one in a million that I would get an unguarded settler, so many ruins and workers, everyone dog piled Genghis and I take it then sell it for a huge price, Korea was held back by the early war with Genghis, the wonderwhores in the West were at war the whole game. Siam loved me, which is highly unusual...all the other stuff.

Good luck. I hope you have as much of it as I did. I'm certainly not having much of it on the latest DCL (#30) :(

I think it also depends on the policies. It feels like when you pick Liberty, the AI's go full apehorsehocky expanding into your face.

Anyway, I started this map, and all I want is peacefully expand to 8 cities. :rolleyes:

Loool, I am such a garbage player. But I put a warrior on the hill, and Alex moved South. Unfortunately, I stole only one worker, and for the longest time had one, until I stole a second one from Greece and one from Korea by turn 50 or something. Really late everything, and opening Piety didn't pay off because I picked Sacred Path instead of One with Nature, and other AI's nabbed all religious buildings. I am still going to do Evangelism missionary spam because why the hell not. 7 cities so far and looking to colonize the island to the West. Going to ignore those plains on the East because there is literally nothing useful. At least settling the jungle is going to give me culture and gold.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 167
As bad as I am, I am actually doing quite decent in terms of science midgame. Messenger of the Gods second pantheon helps a bit.

Also, are the AI's on steroids this game? The Oracle was gone on t46. I repeat: the Oracle was built on t46. And all the Renaissance wonders are gone by t138. Ok then, maybe it's not going to be a culture game.

Top Bottom