The Deity Challenge Line-up #17 - Germany

consentient

Domination!
Welcome to the Deity Challenge Line-up!

This was a fortnightly event, but the schedule has changed and new games will now be posted every 10 days.

- All the games in this series are set to Deity difficulty.

- User civilizations, maps, and opponents change with each challenge, but the game speed is always set to Standard and the starting era is always Ancient.

- We try for a variety of starts

- This isn't a competition so there will be no predefined victory conditions.

- The spreadsheet of all challenge finishers to date has been updated and is available here.

* We welcome all comments and write-ups and invite you to post screenshots of key moments and the moment of victory (if you are successful), but please use the spoiler tag if you post a picture, make a comment about which civs are in the game, or about wonders, or locations of ancient ruins, etc.

* In short, if it’s information you can only know by playing the game, don’t spoil it for others by divulging this information in the open. Thank you for your co-operation

DCL Game #17

You: Germany
Map Type:
Spoiler :
Pangaea

Settings: Raging barbarians, Quick combat (turn it back on if you would like)

Everything else is set to default.

Game Version - 1.0.3.276

Downloadable Content: – G&K, BNW, Conquest of the New World Deluxe, Genghis Khan's Mongolia, Harold Bluetooth's Denmark, Isabella’s Sapin and Pachacuti's Incan Empire, Kamehameha's Polynesian Empire, Nebuchadnezzar's Babylon, Sejong The Great's Korea, Wonders of the Ancient World. The map packs are intentionally excluded.

- - -

Schedule

Game #1 20/06/14 The Zulu Pangaea
Game #2 04/07/14 America Continents
Game #3 18/07/14 Persia Continents
Game #4 01/08/14 Sweden Pangaea
Game #5 15/08/14 The Inca Pangaea
Game #6 29/08/14 Byzantium Continents
Game #7 12/09/14 Ethiopia Pangaea
Game #8 26/09/14 Mongolia Pangaea
Game #9 10/10/14 Rome Small Continents
Game #10 24/10/14 Polynesia Terra
Game #11 07/11/14 Morocco Pangaea
Game #12 21/11/14 The Maya Continents
Game #13 05/12/14 Indonesia Continents
Game #14 19/12/14 (Xmas Special) The Netherlands Small Continents
Game #15 19/12/14 (Xmas Special) Poland Pangaea
Game #16 02/01/15 China Pangaea
Game #17 16/01/15 Germany
Spoiler :
Pangaea

- - -

I hope you all enjoy the map! Thanks go to Gustavus Rex for the map :)

- - -

If you have any comments, questions or would like to submit a map for consideration for future challenges, please send an email to: deitychallenge@outlook.com

Please note that submitted maps MUST have map packs disabled, so those who do not have them can enjoy the challenge. To do this, you MUST go into the DLC option from the Main Menu and untick the options ‘Scrambled Nations’, ‘Explorers Map Pack’ and ‘Scrambled Continents’. You will need to do this EVERY TIME you start a new game, or just simply delete the map packs. Thanks.

Attachments

• DCL #17 - Germany.Civ5Save
    652.5 KB · Views: 347
Wow raging barbarians is annoying as hell...

Spoiler :
Played 162 turns so far, went 3 city(settled on spot, south east above lake and west on coast next to wine) NC turn 110. Danemark eliminated whoever their eastern neighbor was pretty early, then took a couple cities from Polynesia after I bribed him to protect myself from his carpet of doom, then everyone denounced him and DoWed him, Mayans lost their capital to them. So since he was busy fighting the world I took his capital(turn 156, statue of zeus) but had to betrayed my word so now half the world hates me to even though I was only helping them by attacking the villain of the world... Guess I should have just let him kill them all

I never thought about trying this in the immortal play through....does a Barb have to actually be in the camp when you enter it to get a chance at them converting? Or can you just kill the barb and walk an archer in next turn and have one convert?

Has it been two weeks already?? Wow... time sure does fly! If any player could save the turn 81 save file from this game and post it up on the Turn 81 DCL/IDS Series thread that would be nice since I would like to take over your games from that point and try it out.

I never thought about trying this in the immortal play through....does a Barb have to actually be in the camp when you enter it to get a chance at them converting? Or can you just kill the barb and walk an archer in next turn and have one convert?

When you capture the camp, provided you have killed at least one barb in it, you will have a chance that the last unit killed will join your civ. So don't farm them! The more you capture, the more XP (and culture?) you will earn.

@ Consentient

Spoiler :

You sir, are a rat bast*rd. You really are trying to convert me into a warmonger.

I played the first 30 turns……and I see your twisted mind working. Love the map, hope I can pull off what I think I want to do.

I saw ED on t9, settled in the psycho's face.

More details to follow.

1st tech was archery…….that's a first.

raging barbs....
I still think honor opener is prolly not worth it?... the cost of policies...

Still... starting land looks really good with so much grassland river.

raging barbs....
I still think honor opener is prolly not worth it?... the cost of policies...

Still... starting land looks really good with so much grassland river.
Marble start. I'm thinking open Honor then hit Tradition and Aristocracy early and try to get Oracle to make up for opening Honor

@ Shark Diver

Spoiler :
Actually, Gustavus Rex chose the map, so it's his 'mind' you're getting an insight into, really. That said, I love this map because it presents a specific set of circumstances without forcing choices.

For example, if you want ED, you have to forward settle RIGHT NEXT TO the Big Barbarian

DCL #17 will follow in the same vein, and will provide a chance for newcomers to Deity to enjoy quite a strong early game, but with still enough challenge for medium players like myself. Pros can compete for early win times.
Did you change your mind or is the terrain really special, maybe some Natural Wonder we have to find? Because Germany is more a late game power. Guess scouting will be important.

Opening Honor for the culture only is probably not worth it. It's Deity so camps will be gone by T50 unless there are some really isolated areas. No camps, no barbs for culture and raging barbs does not produce more camps, it merely makes existing camps (zero at deity :rolleyes:) produce units faster.

@Bob Morane

Read this if you want to read the (spoiler) answer to your question

Spoiler :
The area around the spawn site to the North, West and South is free of AI Civs, so there are lots of camps, and clearing all of them gives LOTS of culture. Your assumption about the clearance time for the camps assumes that AIs know how to handle raging barbarians. They don't. You can do all the barb hunting you like. At least I have been able to on every raging map I've played where there is enough space.

Also, there ARE several natural wonders in the approximate area.

Finally, Germany is both an early game and late game power. This map will be most fun for those that use both ends of the game to great advantage.

Happy exploring and happy hunting.

So there is more than what we can see. It's all i need to know :cool:
Spoiler :
I think i found it out myself with the warrior (didn't read your spoiler as there might be more surprises). Requires some luck moving to the right direction, if i had moved west and some AI found it first :eek:

:lol: played the first several dozen turns or so and boy whoever picked this map is just plain evil...

Spoiler :
Sure, you can placate the old barb by sending him against the queen of the East or utilize the strip of 3 marsh tiles to the east of your starting location to block (blocking will require a lot of units because it's all flatland, but all the other wondermongers/ culture runaways are all in safe isolated terrain and bribes to slow them down are impossible. You are also 90% guaranteed to miss Oracle and any Religion. CV looks really difficult peacefully. The 500 gold is certainly useful however... and yet I'm not sure what to spend it on

Spoiler :
I played this game very poorly. There was chaos going on in the house. I ended up losing on t305. I got in a late war and I just could not kill all the Denmark units.

To open I did settle the El Dorado site. I was attacked on t85 with Berserkers, but I held out against that one. Had to suffer 4 GG land grabs all the rest of the game. I hate that.

Maybe I will replay it after work and settle the same spots. Its not like I didnt know what to do, I just had really bad execution. I mean I chose a CS trade route instead of Harold for my first route giving up 4 beakers per turn.

Spoiler advice for anyone wanting a suggested strategy against the closest neighbour:-

Spoiler :
Open the warmonger side of your heart a bit and kill Harald before he gets to Metal Casting, or contain him until you tech to Machinery and use the brutes (you should have a few) as defensive meat shields

Re: Closest Neighbor

Spoiler :
Like I said above, he came at me on t85 with a literal carpet of Beserkers. I had two cites on hills with walls and little else. My best troops were spears. I was quite surprised that his troops didnt fair better than they did against the hill cities. He beat me up, but gave peace.

t20

Spoiler :

I'm about to jump back into my game, t20. I met that undesirable neighbor (Hi Harold) pretty early, settled in his face, and formulated a plan to get an early barbarian army, get early bronze working, and make sure he never gets an iron mine up, much less a worker to build said mine. Without water or iron, I don't think he'll be much of a threat and I'm not giving him peace ever. Heck, I even bought 2 tiles within range of Copenhagen, ensuring his rage.

What I can't fathom, is how he had a GG in Copenhagen on t9? That makes absolutely no sense, but I'm pondering delaying my DoW on him so I can time a GG steal at the same time as my first worker steal from him. I'll try to get a screen capture of the GG, but right now, at t20, you can't see the GG because it's hiding behind a Caravan in the capital.

I was going to forego building shrines and not even waste time on religion as there really isn't good terrain for a faith based pantheon (quarries, but that's a tech diversion), but found an early religious CS so I guess I'll try to get a religion after all.

I opened Tradition because I moved my settler 2 hexes East for the river/hill and need to expand borders fast. Found a culture hut and then opened Honor, which I hope to complete before going back to Tradition…..maybe mix and match. There's a ton of open tundra space SW which I have no desire to settle, so I should be able to farm barbarian culture all game long.

Basically, because Acken keeps putting in ridiculous finishing times and putting me to shame, I've decided to drop my normal slow and balanced approach and just bum-rush this map.

Edit: Got a screenshot of the GG. I now have 3 archers (2 scout upgrades) so it's time for war soon.

Screen Shot 2015-01-16 at 7.18.38 AM.jpg

t90 Update

Spoiler :

Well I did a great job barb-hunting and ended up with quite a few CS bonuses early and a military of 5 archers, 2 brutes, a spearman and my original warrior. Got a pantheon and went with +1 culture from pastures (lots of cows chewing their cuds….love that word). 4 religions are gone but I've got the only pantheon left and even at 2 FPT will get a religion sooner or later so at least I can defend that culture. Built Oracle t72. With all of this culture, I took left side of Honor and am almost done with Tradition. All units have 30 xp from barbs.

I really wanted to go to war with Harold, especially when he DoW'd Russia. After Philosophy, I went straight for Construction. Problem is, I didn't have enough gold to upgrade and still won't for awhile……not soon enough for a c-bow rush. I settled a 3rd city SW to get Cerro de Pasta, but even that 10 GPT is going to be wasted as I'm going to have to bribe Harold as it appears he is coming my way:

Screen Shot 2015-01-16 at 8.51.20 AM.jpg

Sigh…..I guess I'll get a 5th city up, build infrastructure and deal with war a bit later. Nah….that's boring…….maybe an Xbow rush……just need some freakin gold.

Turn 0-100

I am going to post up the Turn 81 save file on the other thread if anyone wants to try it. I know
it will be tough on you since my empire is limping along and I kinda made some choices that
people won't like but that is the point of trying to take over an empire and either crush or watch it
implode on you! I am expecting kb27787 to post up his turn 81 save file since it was his idea that got this rolling!

Spoiler :
Introduction: I had no idea of my early plan. I wasn't sure if opening Honor was going to be worth it but I think since I am going to use the GG to bomb KL CS to get the cotton and some of the extra culture it paid off. I was surprised that Denmark didn't find Gold Dorado before I did on turn 5!

Ruins: Free Population, Free Trapping, 60 Gold, Evidence.

Tech Order: AH, Free Trapping, Archery, Pottery, Cal, Mining, Masonry, Writing, Sailing, BW, Philosophy, Bee to Currency, Bee To Civil Service.

Capital Build Order: Scout, Rush Buy Settler, Scout, Monument, Shrine, Caravan, Granary, Settler, Library, Rush Buy Settler, Water Mill, Circus, Stone Works, Market (Delay), NC.

Social Policies: Open Honor, Open Tradition, Monarchy, Landed Elite.

Religion: I thought maybe +4 Faith with NW might get a Religion but I wasn't even close! Now Ethiopia and the Mayans are fighting with Pacal winning the battle for World Church!

Write Up: I played very passive and I was unable to get any barbs to join my army. I wasn't really trying. I wanted to farm camps with some archers but the camps were closed down pretty quick by rival Civs. The CS's asked me to clear camps as well hurting my farm strategy. I was worried about Denmark coveting my lands a couple of times so I sent them a trade route twice and paid dearly (2 Luxes and 13gpt) to have him wage war on Russia at turn 80 Ironically. I was thinking this is really gonna hurt anyone who takes over my game but it was what I did so you have to try it from that point.

Denmark is starting to smash Russia and I hope to get him onto another Civ later. It looks like a 4 city Tradition NC on Turn 105. I've had to hold back some growth but expect to get more happy to grow very soon. I have hardly any units but really am not worried about an attack from my DOFs Ethiopia, Maya, and Hawaii. I don't think Denmark will attack but if he does it is pretty much game over. I plan to keep him busy and give him some free iron and horses.

I did denounce Russia just now since I do not think they will be a problem and it might help diplo with Denmark. So the plan most likely will be to tech up and get some RAs going. Later I most likely will press into Denmark for some fun and either SV or Diplo Victory. I do not think I will be going Domination this late but I have switched gears before... time will tell.

EDIT: Turns 101-205
Spoiler :
More story to come but here is a screenshot so far. I have the tech lead and am pretty safe. I am planning on a late war.

Edit Write Up:

Spoiler :
Not much to say. I got Denmark in war with the whole world including 2 to 3 CS's which he captured. I slowly built up and used RAs along with GS bulbs to get the tech lead. I decided I was going to go to war with Denmark once I got into Rocket Artillery and most likely go for SV. So Denmark only had me to send his trade routes. The same goes for Ethiopia since I put him to war with Hawaii and the Mayans and he was always at war with the Vikings so he sent me most of his TRs as well.

I have played many succesful Immortal games with Peddroelms honor/commerse/autocracy-tactic and rolled this map when I was about to try my luck on Deity.

I felt stuck and gave up at turn 300 were I simply felt that I had been to slow in capturing cities... I found the map to be interesting enough to share!

Spoiler :

Settled on riverhill because succer for hills. Found El Dorado very early and managed to settle it before(!) meeting Harold... Relized my "mistake" and started to plot for his death!

Found more NW and settled them both - this is, I think, my first mistake - I got greedy and wanted to much. Settling a 4th city with honor has never turned out good in my immortal games...

I got the "one with nature" with 3x wonders and managed to found a religion:

I bribed Catherine to go after Harold, she did and nabbed his expos after with point he never was a threat for me. As soon as my army was ready I took his capital.

Honor was finished super early due to el dorado and killing barbs. My first real setback was when two AI:s got autocracy before me when I really needed the extra happiness. My war against Ethiopia took time and I lost my edge, fining myself out teched. Me VS 3x different kind of runnaways.

After watching Peddros Sweden game I'm sure this still can be won but I lack his patience and quit.

My kingdom when I quit at t300:

Attachments

• DCL Germany t300.Civ5Save
    1.3 MB · Views: 177
Does it count if I take over from T80 and if yes who is the author in the spreadsheet? Or that is just a different adventure and I still have to play on my own the game from the beginning to submit it here? Would be interesting to take over once and see how it goes :)

Top Bottom