Based on your experiences with CIV, how will you approach Civ VI

• I'm still an early/auto buyer of the Civ series

Votes: 45 63.4%
  • Going to wait for at least the first expansion

Votes: 24 33.8%
  • Tried waiting for expansions in the past, will be an early buyer this time

Votes: 2 2.8%

• Total voters
As long as it has nothing to do with aliens and different planets, I'll buy it right away, play a few games but still come back to Civ 5 till there's more content on the new one.

Of course, please do!

The question is how has Civ 5 changed your perspective (if at all) on buying games at release.

I'm especially interested to hear from those who waited to purchase, do they too feel that they missed out on the early discovery phase of the "vanilla" experience ?

It is not my intent to ruin enjoyment of current CiV...

Just read...

I remember (in my humble opinion)... Civ V in its beginning was so unpleasing...

More, i really enjoy solo CivV since the last patch (June 2015!) because all these bugs crippled the game...

So, will wait for Civ VI, at least one year, even two if extra contents (maps, scenarii, mods eventually) runs in AppStore Campaign Edition...

The real dream is to having possibilities to even CREATE contents of that sort...

If this step is true... Will still playing Civ V by 2017...

I dont want anymore to be beta tester, i want to enjoy my game directly...

Thanks !

Have you done that for prior releases ? Having done it for CiV, I'm starting to think I should just enjoy the changes as they happen since its not a game where I'll only have 5 saves with a narrative that would be largely impacted by rule changes.

For Vanilla Civ V, I purchased it way too soon. (Christmas same year). It was like having paid for a public beta test for 18 months with all the rules changes to core mechanics of the game.

G&K needed its first patch to be stabilize the rules related to new functionality.

BNW rules were stable on release.

Going back, Civ IVs CD release felt stable by its Christmas. The later game tech costs did go up in patches, but it wasn't jarring. Actually, the main complaint at CD release for Vanilla Civ IV was about graphic glitches due to it having been too taxing for many computers people owned then.

Further back, Civ III Vanilla CD release was very much stable.
Those that bought PTW intending multiplayer though did get a Beta Test and it wasn't fixed until shortly before Conquests came out.
The Conquests expansion had a jarring problem with Forbidden Palace, that took quite a few months to be fixed.

if they follow the same method as in V(vanilla-8dlcs-exp1-5dlcs-exp2-moardlcs!!!!!!) i'll wait until complete edition is out :sad:.

Buying a civ on release? Not a good idea at all. You are forced to install patches and you will get: changes of rules, ruined saves... it is not fun to play game during this times. I am not a beta tester. Another thing is a problem with what developer says about game and what game really is - or even if it is playable (see latest Batman PC release).

Of course, please do!

The question is how has Civ 5 changed your perspective (if at all) on buying games at release.

I'm especially interested to hear from those who waited to purchase, do they too feel that they missed out on the early discovery phase of the "vanilla" experience ?

It is not my intent to ruin enjoyment of current CiV...

Don't want to sound too negative, but Civ 5 was a huge disappointment for me. It was advertised as "the most moddable civ ever" and I purchased it excited by that news. I thought that even if I didn't like the core game, I could mod it to something that I would - or that other mods would let me enjoy the game.

As it turns out, I not only hated Civ 5 but it turned out to be less moddable than Civ 4. I still play Civ 4 almost every day, so I'm still a big fan of the franchise, but my disappointment with Civ 5 discourages me from pre-ordering Civ 6.

There's a fifth option - don't even think about it until the game is actually announced.

I agree with this option.

When/If Civ VI is announced, I'll be pre-ordering the day it's available to pre-order, but unfortunately, I think we are still 2 years away, after Rising Tides, they will probably try to squeeze in another DLC for BE....too bad I loathe BE

While I sympathize with your financial situation, I'm sure you are young enough that it has great potential to change. I'm one of the lucky/stupid ones who is able/willing to spend money on a franchise that has given me over a decade of enjoyment.

In my experience, it takes somebody who is young to think that an accusation of youth across the internet is making a case for one's position. I also find it unwise (naive, possibly youthful) to just throw everything away. If something is worth it, it will be worth it beyond its name alone. Resources are finite is a fact. It applies to you also.

People who are willing to buy on a name alone incentivize others to make/release things of lower quality so long as they slap a familiar name on it. Exercise a little self-control and you'll provide a market signal that a product has to be quality in order for you to patronize it.

*cough*Beyond Earth*cough*

I was disappointed beyond belief by beyond earth (hur hur). But, i got on the Civ 5 ride pretty damn late: i'm talking fall patch era. But i've loved civ 5 ever since. I'm guessing I'll love BE once it gets full after sales support and 2 x DLC priced at 29.99 euro each...

For Civ 6 I'll not preorder if my life depended on it. BE was so far removed from Alpha Centauri that I will never EVER pre order anything apart from X COM 2 (I think).

But if the reviews, let's plays and forum talk over here rate it as good, or if it has some mouth watering mechanics and civs, I'll get it at full price.

I do tend to wait for a 75% discount on steam though. I load up more games than I have time to play, thus I can ALWAYS wait. I have a german shepherd dog, and i do sports and go to dancing classes, so i have very little time to game.

Bottom line: I'll not preorder, maybe I'll buy it soon after relase if the hype is massive and I see things that I personally love, such as improved religious/cultural game, less era rushing and science is king, smarter AI that doesn't rely on cheating bonuses. If it's sub-par, I'll wait for the easter/summer sale of 2016.

In my experience, it takes somebody who is young to think that an accusation of youth across the internet is making a case for one's position.

We are arguing over who is younger ? We took a wrong turn somewhere. I'll concede so we can find something else. I'm younger.

I also find it unwise (naive, possibly youthful) to just throw everything away. If something is worth it, it will be worth it beyond its name alone. Resources are finite is a fact. It applies to you also.

People who are willing to buy on a name alone incentivize others to make/release things of lower quality so long as they slap a familiar name on it.

All sound maxims!

Exercise a little self-control and you'll provide a market signal that a product has to be quality in order for you to patronize it.

I understand.

“Those who restrain desire do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained.

Don't want to sound too negative, but Civ 5 was a huge disappointment for me. It was advertised as "the most moddable civ ever" and I purchased it excited by that news. I thought that even if I didn't like the core game, I could mod it to something that I would - or that other mods would let me enjoy the game.

As it turns out, I not only hated Civ 5 but it turned out to be less moddable than Civ 4. I still play Civ 4 almost every day, so I'm still a big fan of the franchise, but my disappointment with Civ 5 discourages me from pre-ordering Civ 6.

From a modder perspective, and for SP, it's not less moddable than civ4, I'd even say it's better from personnal experience, but I can understand why it doen't looks like from a player perspective.

But on the other hand the lack of official mod support for MP in civ5 is the very reason I may wait for release this time.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

if ya'll gonna wait for the first expansion pack (and assuming mob mentality goes for it) there won't be one since there won't be enough money for the first expansion pack

Unless Firaxis takes a financial hit from charging full MSRP for beta quality, they are not likely to change the way they do business.

Civ 3 started the pattern. Civ 4 was also beta quality on release. With Civ 5, it was just a little bit more blatant.

I'm especially interested to hear from those who waited to purchase, do they too feel that they missed out on the early discovery phase of the "vanilla" experience?

I waited until the first major patch for G&K. Then I played G&K for like a year before buying BnW, and even then I waited for a sale. No, I did not miss the discovery phase! I am not paying top dollar to play an unfinished game. I just don’t see the appeal.

Even though I suffer from SMAC delusion, I didn't bite on BE. I'm sticking to my "wait until the first expansion" guns.

Yeah, they almost got me too, I am so nostalgic. But the pattern to avoid getting burned by Firaxis is quite apparent.

None of the above. I, among with I imagine most people (in general if not on the forums), will wait for the vanilla reviews, and decide based on that.

For Vanilla Civ V, I purchased it way too soon. (Christmas same year). It was like having paid for a public beta test for 18 months with all the rules changes to core mechanics of the game.
QUOTE]

Yes, same here, exactly this and exactly the same thoughts.

What would people think about an open beta period for Civ VI? If Firaxis do it the right way (limited people, not on front page of steam) I think it would be a good idea.

I remember seeing someone buy civ 4 bts for~ 10$ for full version while i had purchased all its expansions at full price. Point?
Buying it early could be worth it.

You know, not to insult anybody but if ya'll gonna wait for the first expansion pack (and assuming mob mentality goes for it) there won't be one since there won't be enough money for the first expansion pack xD

It can be hard to tell objectively (barring something obvious like Day 1 DLC), but sometime it feels like games now are being shoved out the door as a minimum offering with plans to sell DLC as fixes rather than complete releases that get added to later. I think many people, myself included, are willing to wait for a complete edition sold as a package.

If a developer's launch version is so lacking that it busts, I'll shed no tears.

To bring this comment back to the OP: I generally wait for some reviews, community discussion, and such to see if it's worth picking up immediately or if I should snub it and wait for later sales/packages once it's complete. I've been burned before, like by Elite: Dangerous... It's got a more respectable amount of content now, but initially was very barren.

Top Bottom