The Deity Challenge Line-up #40 - Korea

how big were the cities in that scenario?

Capital 30, other cities 20. No problem for 4 city tradition on this map.

Do you happened to have the save from the VC screen you posted? Or was that overwritten too?

I'm afraid I have no saves of this game :(

Hopefully this is of use. Image has complete spoilers for AI locations.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-09-15 at 07.19.37.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-09-15 at 07.19.37.jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 246
@consentient - Those are excellent city spots with both mountain/river. Probably optimal or very close to it.

@beetle - That being said mountains matter a pretty good deal when going science victory but other than that your city spots are fine. The biggest issue is pop is too low. Just focus food and make sure you don't go unhappy and you should easily shave 50 turns off your win time.

In my game
Spoiler :
Persia
ran away taking tradition+commerce+rationalism with both HG+ToA buff and I lost important wonders such as LToP or PT. His capital is literally size 30 at turn 150. Finish time won't be that good, but at least with Korea there is still hope.

Something similar happened in my game also, but in the end they weren't such a big threat, they were still first in population and money but the ones that were really scary were
Spoiler :
the Zulu and the Greeks.
Even so I hated losing PT and even Big Ben (I didn't even open commerce because Big Ben went way to fast. In the end I won a SV at Turn251.

@consentient - Those are excellent city spots with both mountain/river. Probably optimal or very close to it.

@beetle - That being said mountains matter a pretty good deal when going science victory but other than that your city spots are fine. The biggest issue is pop is too low. Just focus food and make sure you don't go unhappy and you should easily shave 50 turns off your win time.

Yeah, I think 50-70, given the way early game snowballs. T97 Education can mean T140 Industrial, whereas T127 Education can mean T200 Industrial.

Yet beetle refuses to see that this size of difference is 'seismic'.

T251 SV

Spoiler :
The accelerated start (worker, scout, AND mining?) felt like cheating, it enabled me to grab some land that wouldn't have been possible (lake Victoria coastal, but gave up the mountain). Even though the early game went very smooth, I made some mistakes (like the spot for my second expo) and I was soon low on happiness and low on GPT. In the classical era I had to sell 2 of my luxuries to get the Zulu off my back, and that put me in massive unhappiness, I couldn't even buy luxuries because there were none to sell and couldn't get any CS alliances (the quests did gave me alliances for a couple of turns, and friendship status with other CSs, but I didn't have any money to buy the influence required for the alliances). I had to get construction before Civil Service, which I normally don't do in a peaceful science game. Once I had colosseums, circuses and circus maximus set up the happiness was good, but that delayed me a lot.

I had a love/hate relationship with the Zulu, at first they were coveting my lands, even though they didn't now were they were. They marched a massive army consisting of CAs, Spearmen/Warrios, Archers and Catapults towards my capital and although I had 5 archers, one Spearmen and one Warrior I couldn't really defend because they were scattered in my cities which were really far apart. I bribed the Aztecs to Dow them, and that made the army retreat. After a while Zulu wanted friendly relationships with my empire (I don't really know what that means), they even sent me a caravan. We were pretty friendly up until ideologies when they started hating me again. They, alongside with the Greeks settled really close to me, and once the Open Borders treaty expired I couldn't get it back and lost the city connection to my third expo. In the end after denouncing the Greeks the Zulu became friendly again, gave me open borders for 2 GPT and even some aluminum which I needed because I hard built 2 parts.

I've never been in major wars, I dowed the Zulu to get and undefended Settler (in renaissance I think, it felt like poking the bear), and the Greeks in a joint dow with Shoshone, in the end the Aztecs dowed , but they didn't do anything. I just turtled and hoarded money to buy spaceships.

I had the lowest cultural and faith output out of all my games, I didn't even get a filler policy between Tradition and Rationalism (when I realized that I could get to renaissance before my next policy, I stopped working the writers guild). I got a pantheon (one with nature), which enabled me to get a religion, but I soon lost the pantheon in the expo, and I never enhanced my religion (it was pretty bad anyway, tithe + food from shrines and temples). I did manage to get 1000 faith to buy a scientist late game, so the initial shrine wasn't totally useless.

I didn't get any early wonders, got beat to Oracle. I also wanted LToP, PT and Big Ben but they were gone pretty fast. Late game I got Eiffel Tower, SoL, Hubble and the Neuschwanstein.

Attachments

• 2015-09-15_00002.jpg
    2015-09-15_00002.jpg
    450.8 KB · Views: 160
  • 2015-09-15_00003.jpg
    2015-09-15_00003.jpg
    359.2 KB · Views: 134
  • 2015-09-15_00001.jpg
    2015-09-15_00001.jpg
    410.3 KB · Views: 118
Good game.

I'm still wondering why I picked Patronage as filler policy though, as I obviously needed Commerce for gold. Hopefully I can make use of both in the end, as I want to spend money on cultural city states and make the most out of RAs, though they will only be buffed in the next batch, providing I don't get killed before then :lol:

@consentient

It's been a while now and apparently people didn't notice, what was it that you modified the AIs with?

The answer:

Spoiler :
All AI capitals were set to 3 pop with Granary and Water Mill, and 5 extra ruins scattered in their neighbourhood, except Cathy who was set to 2 pop because she was most likely to get DF.

That being said mountains matter a pretty good deal when going science victory but other than that your city spots are fine.

Um, 3 of 4 spots in my SV screen shot were on mountains -- but other than that my city spots were terrible.

I saw all the rivers and figured food was good, but that was naive.

On my replay, settling better, but still using the default governor, expos are 25% - 50% larger.

Yeah, I think 50-70, given the way early game snowballs. T97 Education can mean T140 Industrial, whereas T127 Education can mean T200 Industrial.

I am getting some snowballing. First to Freedom this time, and beat out the civ in the far NE to SoL. I don't think I will save 50 turns though. Last religion went about ~T75, but that is the only disappointment so far.

Yet beetle refuses to see that this size of difference is 'seismic'.

Proper settling makes a seismic difference. I should have the game wrapped in the next 48 hours, so will post the screen shot then. Hopefully I will not be eating crow...

T256 SV

I was experimenting this game with a wider tradition game (6 cities instead of 4) and see how high my bpt can reach. However the experiment backfired when I was happiness capped from around turn 100 until I generate enough gold to buy mercantile CS AND pay 28gpt for AI lux. Therefore, I never had enough gold to buy a single important building except near the very end when I bought Nuclear plant/Solar plant/SS factory for speeding up SS. But even that is unnecessary as I forgot the trick where I can borrow gold from 1 ai, then dow to get all the gpt back to borrow from another ai, so I could've bought all 6 of them without building a single part. Building the parts cost me 6 turns (done in 3 cities in parallel to be safe, but could've only used Seoul), plus 1 for transporting.

Other than missing the gpt tricks near the end, another mistake I made was bulbing way too late and not managing the late game science correctly. I ended up with 2 extra GS, that's not even counting another 2 GS that I could faith buy, and on top of that, I wasted Rationalism finisher and totally forgot to build Oxford on time. That's almost 6 techs that were wasted. If I replay the last 50 turns, could've probably shaved off at least 25 of them.

Spoiler :

As I said before in another post the dude in the NE (Persia) went off of a tradition/commerce/rationalism start, got every important wonders such as LToP, PT, BB. I wasted quite a few hammers trying to compete with him on those. Maybe the starting advantage combined with tradition totally snowballed him. In the end, he got punished since I bribed Alex against him and he eventually lost his capital and got reduced to 6 pop. Just like history when Alexander conquered Persia.

The only early wonder I managed to get was Hagia Sophia for the extra prophet which I used to enhance religion. My religion was a growth + mosque, but wasn't relevant since only my capital kept my religion. Monty and Cathy would battle over the religion in my other cities. Cathy's was monasteries which was great for the culture, plus Jesuit education, which wasn't that great since faith cost was too high. Monty had the happy temple religion which was also nice since I needed the happiness.

Nobody went Freedom, so I used faith GE to rush SoL to save some hammers. The only other wonder built was Hubble, where there were again no competition, none of the AI in the era yet.

I wanted to experiment with how wide I can possibly go, so after the 4 city NC around turn 78, settled 2 more cities to the East of Seoul. Of the original 4 cities, 3 of them including cap had a mountain. The other is on LV. The additional cities settled was one on coast and the other on river/mountain. The coastal one would feed my LV city if needed. (It never did since I ran into happiness cap very soon afterwards.) I build coliseums as soon as they were feasible, and eventually zoos. When I was building zoos, finally got enough gold to buy and coup CS and that fixed my happiness problem for a while. Later I had to trade lux for 28gpt to keep happy once ideologies come into play. Stadiums were built in some cities just in case near the end.

In the end, my capital had 37 pop and other cities 25-30, I had to stop growing some of the other cities to help generate gold for buying SS parts. My end Bpt was 2116 which would increase to 2185 when on research focused and working the correct tiles. It accounts for 3% or so increase.

I settled LV city no problem, but had to block Pocatello's from settling the 2 eastern spots. Eventually he got a city south of Seoul, but it was well out of range anyway. Alex on the other hand settled a city unexpectedly without any lux/resource just north of Seoul on the lake, and eventually GG bombed stole my horse. He was a pain in general with the CS thing and also stole my citrus on my NW city. He was hated by every AI due to the wars I bribed him against, and eventually I had to denounce him to gain favor from other AI. Cathy hated me very early on in the game and I had to bribe Shaka and eventually Alex to soften her up. In this game her tech rate was horrible for some reason, maybe because of the lack of expos for her. Shaka was really scary in this game, was at war with every other AI at some point and still survived mostly intact. I didn't try to manage diplo with him since he had to go through Cathy to get to me anyway, so eventually he was hostile towards me. But at some point, he wanted to DoF me but of course I refused. Stay friends with Oda and Pocatello through the game, both were very loyal which wasn't expected, especially from Oda. Monty/Darius didn't hate me but wouldn't ever trade more than 6gpt for some reason. I have no army other than 2 scouts, 2 archers/CB and 2 late gifted units, so bribing is all that's needed to avoid war.

One thing I didn't know is you can build a SS part partially, then cancel it and buy the same part to get refund on the part. It may help squeeze out some extra cash if you don't have enough time to build the part.

Attachments

• 2015-09-15_00001.jpg
    2015-09-15_00001.jpg
    479.7 KB · Views: 151
The tweak at the start certainly made things interesting! Scout only had 1 move on T0, so that was odd.

The answer: ... except [snip] who was set to 2 pop because [AI] was most likely to get DF.

Anyone have the neighbor get DF and Petra? AI to far NE had both in my three games.

I believe our female neighbor was gimped because of the weaker start, as she was by far the weakest AI.

T239 update

Spoiler :

Just need to pick a scapegoat. This is both the easiest and most ingenious diplomacy I ever had in this game. All I did was paid Alex to war with literally everyone, so that they can all hate him and like me. I still have DoFs with Darius, Cathy, Shaka, Oda and Poca. All I did was denounce Alex at one point. A safe buffer of Cathy on side and Poca on t'other means neither Alex nor Monty would ever get to me.

ALL maritime city states got eaten though so I could only grow using smokes and mirrors, but now with Civil Society and Fertilizer, I'm likely going to finish with 45-ish pop.

One thing I'd like to ask, is it worth to buy and plant a Prophet to get science from him and have him pay himself off by not delaying the faith scientist a lot

Attachments

• koreass.jpg
    koreass.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 149
She didn't receive as many advantages, but that's because she was gonna have the strongest religion. She also had a size 10 capital by T45 in my game, and by T100 had 80% of all the wonders so far produced to herself, so I stand by my decision!!!

By going Freedom instead of Order with my second full run at this map I have introduced too much variation. So attached are both games at T200. Both games I used only the default governor for the expos (except for WF and IG), but with the second (Freedom) game I paid much better attention to food when settling. For my Freedom game, I have been mostly using the food-focused governor with the cap, but with locking down several tiles as was suggested.
  • Seoul is size 19 instead of 16. I think that difference is explained by avoiding the early happy crash that caused it to starve down to size 1 after planting my 4th city, and that it no longer has to share a couple river tiles with Jeonju.
  • Busan, now one hex closer to the NW, is size 13 instead of 12. I felt like it was doing much better, so that is a bit of a reality check for me!
  • Jeonju, on the coast, is three hexes over to pick up two more fish (but now missing an iron and a gem) is size 15 instead of 10. Pretty dramatic! It is on the fur instead of the fur being in the 3rd ring – so that alone prevented the early happy crash.
  • Daegu is size 13 instead of 9, so also close to 50% bigger! It is a completely different place as I really did not like my previous spot (three cows, but not on a river, and no new lux). Moving off the mountain to catch the river missed a cow, so I went for a complexly different location: on the lake due N of cap.
So I think this is strong evidence that the problem was with my expo location choices, not my lack of manual tile assignments.

I am looking forward to finishing my Freedom game. At T200 I have two more policies as compared to my Order game, SoL is in the bag, labs in queue, FL infantry online soon, and I think by T250 I will be in position to start giving a serious beating to the Eastern neighbor…

EDIT: I just noticed that science, gpt, culture, fpt are all about doubled in my second run. So the snowball has really just started!

Attachments

• civ5ss-dcl40-t200eh.jpg
    civ5ss-dcl40-t200eh.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 170
  • civ5ss-dcl40-t200ok.jpg
    civ5ss-dcl40-t200ok.jpg
    314.6 KB · Views: 145
Just for a comparison, on Turn 200 my capital was at size 25 and the city at the coastal Jeonju spot was at size 19. It is possible that it's due to better management or better food caravan/cargo? That coastal city also wasn't founded until turn 90 in my game after I finished my 4 city NC.

20 pop at T200 is small for a Tradition game. If I were you, I would check that you are doing all of the following, every turn:

- Checking every tile being worked
- Checking the diplomacy screen to see if WLTKD is possible
- Checking what every worker is doing
- Checking where the caravans are going
- Checking the build queue

I'll tell you what, beetle, the next DCL where I play peacefully, I'll replay it afterwards with automatic governor and we can see the difference. My guess is that it makes the difference between winning and losing, or 50-70 turns for sure.

I'll tell you what, beetle, the next DCL where I play peacefully, I'll replay it afterwards with automatic governor and we can see the difference. My guess is that it makes the difference between winning and losing, or 50-70 turns for sure.

Thanks, that would be illuminating. People win their peaceful games 100 turns faster than I am managing. I suspect it is a dozen little things, one of which is manual tile assignments. But if that one thing was 50 turns on its own, I might find worth the trouble!

I might even be convinced to do a Deity LP of a peaceful game. I'm not sure how instructive it would be, since I'm nowhere near the best peaceful player. You're better off watching Acken...but then I've just remembered while writing this that you don't like LPs anyway, and think that videos are not for everyone. I mean, I think that probably the reason you're doing (or not doing) these "dozen little things) is because you've not seen enough LPs.

The other thing about a peaceful LP is that I've never done one, and wouldn't know how to make it interesting. Peaceful play is a yawnfest even to play, let alone watch.

Top Bottom