NFL 2015 regular season!!!!

It's here!

Time to put all the off season distractions behind us and talk NFL FOOTBALL!!!!

Looks like the Logan Thomas experiment is over. Cards give Philly a conditional seventh rounder
for Matt Barkley, and Thomas and Phillip Simms have been cut.

Will be interesting to see if Darnell Dockett returns now that he's been cut.

Cards don't need an experiment, because they have a starter. What they need is a veteran backup. Barkley may not be the best exemplar of that in the league, but he at least fits the description. Question is whether he can learn the system before Palmer gets broken. Of course there is always the possibility that Palmer miraculously makes it through the season intact. I mean, that could happen, right?

And Tom Brady is cleared to play, sucks for my Dolphins as AFC East winners prediction I made, somewhere.

Cards don't need an experiment, because they have a starter. What they need is a veteran backup. Barkley may not be the best exemplar of that in the league, but he at least fits the description. Question is whether he can learn the system before Palmer gets broken. Of course there is always the possibility that Palmer miraculously makes it through the season intact. I mean, that could happen, right?

Veteran backup is what Drew Stanton is for.

Barkley is just a 3rd-year guy who's frankly looked like poop every time he's played and just got shipped out of town because he wasn't good enough to back up Mark Sanchez and to possibly make room for Tim Tebow.

I know Bruce Arians is good with QBs but you can only do so much with someone (see Ryan Lindley).

Veteran backup is what Drew Stanton is for.

Barkley is just a 3rd-year guy who's frankly looked like poop every time he's played and just got shipped out of town because he wasn't good enough to back up Mark Sanchez and to possibly make room for Tim Tebow.

I know Bruce Arians is good with QBs but you can only do so much with someone (see Ryan Lindley).

Sorry. Forgot about Drew Stanton. You're right. WTF do they think they need Matt Barkley for? A conditional seventh round pick isn't much to give up, but for a third quarterback? Next week there will be third quarterbacks all over the place selling pencils on streetcorners.

They might still have some concerns about Palmers health (he's coming back from his second torn ACL after all) and want to have 2 backups on the roster instead of a backup and a project....

They might still have some concerns about Palmers health (he's coming back from his second torn ACL after all) and want to have 2 backups on the roster instead of a backup and a project....

Given that last year they were down to their project for a fair chunk of the season that's a reasonable position for them to take. It is a valid question though whether Barkley is really any less of a project than Logan Thomas. That was my bad, I was initially thinking of someone else when his name first came up.

Light Cleric said:
Veteran backup is what Drew Stanton is for. Barkley is just a 3rd-year guy who's
frankly looked like poop every time he's played and just got shipped out of town because he
wasn't good enough to back up Mark Sanchez and to possibly make room for Tim Tebow.

I remember Barkley not looking very good. OTOH, they never let Thomas see the light
of day (except briefly in the Denver game) even when both Palmer and Stanton were out,
AND it was obvious that Lindley was worthless so it may still be an upgrade. I'm also
assuming that Thomas did not show enough improvement to the coaches over the offseason
to make them want to keep him.

Timsup2nothin said:
Of course there is always the possibility that Palmer miraculously makes it through the season intact. I mean, that could happen, right?

Mathematically, the possibility exists. After watching what the Raiders did to
the O line, that probability is low. Also, even if Palmer stays healthy, these
days he's a slightly above average QB, no better. And this leads in to what I said
in the preseason thread, which is the Cards need to get serious about trying to
find Palmer's successor, because they'll need him sooner than later.

The thing about quarterbacks is that in a league of thirty two teams there are what, a dozen quarterbacks anyone would really go out of their way to have, and maybe another dozen that qualify as "well at least since we have him we don't have to desperately search for someone else." Palmer may in fact just be a "slightly above average" QB...but there are a whole lot of teams who will give a deep sigh of relief if the bozo they have their hopes hung on could just, somehow, turn out to be that good.

Agreed. I'm not saying Palmer should just be dumped, but given his injury history and age, they have to be thinking about the not too distant day when either he will retire, or get an injury
that he doesn't come back from.

Aaaannndddd Philly just cut Tebow, leaving only 2 QBs on the roster, one of whom has an
injury history to rival Palmer's. Unless they're planning on signing of of Tim's pencil salesmen,
this doesn't make much sense to me.

Aaaannndddd Philly just cut Tebow, leaving only 2 QBs on the roster, one of whom has an
injury history to rival Palmer's. Unless they're planning on signing of of Tim's pencil salesmen,

Confidence that should they need him Tebow will be out there selling pencils, maybe? Can't imagine anyone else picking him up, and you know if they told him "stay in shape we may call" he undoubtedly will. Or they might be thinking an upgrade will come available. There are those teams that still have four quarterbacks, and in some cases their fourth is better than Tebow, maybe.

Of course it makes sense. Tebow is a less than mediocre QB that can't throw. He shouldn't even have been on the preseason roster. The fact that he even was on the roster is the part that doesn't make sense...

Of course it makes sense. Tebow is a less than mediocre QB that can't throw. He shouldn't even have been on the preseason roster. The fact that he even was on the roster is the part that doesn't make sense...

I watched the last preseason game, and he actually looked much improved. Still not really good, but his throwing motion does now look like an actual quarterback. He might be an adequate third quarterback, but like Philly I'd be willing to take my chances I can hire him if Bradford gets hurt without spending a roster spot on him in the interim.

I feel bad for Tebow...He seems to be a good person and he undoubtedly works pretty hard to get a chance at playing...He's just not a good NFL QB... He should try playing as a TE or FB...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cutting Tebow makes sense, but leaving themselves with only 2 QBs doesn't

@BirraImperial - That pretty much sums it up.

Cutting Tebow makes sense, but leaving themselves with only 2 QBs doesn't

@BirraImperial - That pretty much sums it up.

Looking for jobs:

Matt Flynn, Matt Cassel, Josh Freeman, Austin Davis

Those guys are all way more qualified to fill the third QB spot than Tebow is. If they don't get one of them, whoever signs them will be cutting someone, who is still probably more qualified than Tebow. And if worst comes to worst, they can always resign Tebow.

Top Bottom