TSG 122 After Action Report

Knowtalent

Emperor
GOTM Staff
Welcome to the TSG122 After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please use the Civ5 game submission page to submit your final, first play through, .Civ5Save file, saved AFTER the victory ceremony if you were not conquered (using the "Lemme play one more turn" feature.).

- Did you use your UU?
- Was your UB useful?
- How useful was your UA?
- Did you use spying to your advantage?
- Did the map type help or hinder victory and how?
- How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions?
- Was Faith helpful to achieve victory? How?
- What Social Policies did you choose and in what order?
- What did you do for Science and Population expansion?
- How did you like Highlands?

Game status: Science Victory
Game date: 1903AD
Turns played: 323
Base score: 2042
Final score: 3190
Time played: 4:07:00

Quite a long game by my standards. :) It was enjoyable being turfed out of my tradition-rationalism comfort zone thinking through. No HG, no quick border expanse, reasons to choose honor as a policy. All fun. Will be interesting to see if the quickest contenders were slowed down by highland map. Probably not.

- Did you use your UU?
Nope. Archers to fend of the barbs. No wars.
- Was your UB useful?
Actually, yes. It combated the unhappiness of Liberty expansion and solved my cash and growth problems (with religion tithe, no maintenance and I choose the plus food bonus for religion).
It cancelled out the wonder policy loss in tradition. I like wonders.
Not really.
It meant I didn't have to fight wars. But I couldn't contact the city states I needed (except Wellington which was love-bombed throughout). Plus barb-opolis. I'm glad you didn't set raging horde barbarians!
That's standard for me.
Immensely. No other civ pushed religion. So that gave me an opportunity (with temples and plus faith for gold) to get a religion out and dominate the map easily (Something like 40-3-3-1-0 with the 0 coming for the last religion that instantly got pushed of the map again by itin. preachers :D) With Tithe and 40 cities, plus pagodas and extra food helped a lot.
Liberty -> Opening honor -> Commerce for mercenaries, as someone planted the thought in my mind ;) -> Rationalism -> Freedom and buy the space ship.
GL -> NC -> food trade routes (may as well - few trading partners) -> Observatories x6!
Nice change. With the no-rapid border expand plus lots of land, barbarians got a field day. Thanks for the game!

Game: Civ5 GOTM 122
Date submitted: 2015-11-15 15:36:19
Reference number: 33498
Your name: x2madda
Game date: 1968AD
Turns played: 388
Base score: 2755
Final score: 3577
Time played: 4:15:00
Submitted save: TSG122_End.Civ5Save
Renamed file: x2madda_C512201.Civ5Save

- Did you use your UU?
Yes but only to clear a few local barbs. I thought about going full warmonger since the the UB adds happiness but decided against it due to the low (normal) difficulty setting meaning AI cities would be poorly developed.

- Was your UB useful?
Eh. Didn't puppet many cities until the very end (out of boredom) so it was nice but not a deal breaker.

I snagged many early wonders with it but it was hard not to go full :) :) :) :):) :) :) :):) :) :) :):) :) :) :):) :) :) :):) :) :) :) and snatch them all because it was fastest science win not most wonders built so I reeled it in and tried to stay focused.

I used it but nothing amazing. Parked one in my capital for the usual forgiveness diplomacy and the rest all went into city states.

I was caught of guard to be honest, the lakes and rivers reminded me of the 2v2 games I get invited too but the lack of local diverse luxury resources made fanning out quite a bother. In the end I just did a 2 city run.

I am familar with PvP and Prince is as close to 'fair' as you are going to get the AI outside of mods so I just rolled with it. On the flip side, no worker/settler spam for me to pinch and no gold for me to make RA with so it was slow going.

It bought me 2 great scientists. I still fubar'd on timings so even the extra 2 weren't super useful but oh well.

Tradition Liberty, then dipped into Patronage then Rationalism ASAP till it was filled then back into Patronage. +25% (science) from allies is a lot weaker on Prince setting but every little helps.

Science was a mess. I screwed myself by spamming a few wonders instead of getting NC ASAP, moreso since my time for GL was early due to me being egypt.

Horrible! Would like to see more of it in future GOTMs :D

Well, no point sticking to comfort zones, right?

Game date: 1912AD
Turns played: 332
Base score: 1241
Final score: 1880
Time played: 2:22:00

Your name: vadalaz
Game date: 1590AD
Turns played: 228
Base score: 1747
Final score: 3882
Time played: 5:25:00

Not much to say about the post-Education game, pretty standard Freedom SV. Decided not to settle any more cities as I figured with 6 observatories I wouldn't need any more. I should've planted one academy it seems, as I overshot by a tech and a half in the end. Otherwise I thought I played the endgame well - T199 Plastics into a T228 victory.

The barbs have been a pain for the entire game. They didn't hurt me directly in the mid-late game, but they kept pillaging AIs' and CSs' luxuries, made me go unhappy for a couple of turns.

@GOTM Staff: I crashed on turn 117, do I need to send any additional saves like on HOF? I have autosaves set on every turn so I used the one from the end of T116.

Spoiler :

Opened honor and finished off piety tree early. Only got settler from left side of liberty. Got mad culture but in the end killing sooo many barbs wore me out and I made too many mistakes. finished with two extra scientists. But major blunder was getting NC too late. I got the SH early and both mosqus and pogodas didn't even need to get colasium in many cities. I think my strategy would have worked better had I killed AI's trying to take barb sites, ie those who went honor. 130 faith a turn in the end.

Your name: zxcvbob
Game date: 1988AD
Turns played: 408
Base score: 1940
Final score: 2395
Time played: 7:33:00

I know that number of turns is pathetic. I think I tried playing my usual Tradition game but with Liberty; I had only 3 large cities for the longest time. Also in hindsight, I shouldn't have built any of the spaceship parts, I should have bought them all with gold.

- Did you use your UU? I built one war chariot; used it to take out a couple of encampments, then when it was about to get a promotion I brought it back for a city garrison until I could upgrade to a knight. I used that knight to run around protecting my caravans. (the barbs still got a few of them) I could have done the same thing with a horseman and not worried about the promotions.

- Was your UB useful? Heck yeah. +2 happiness and no maintenance vs. a regular temple.

- How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions? I normally never would have gone for Stonehenge or Great Library after building ToA. In this game I built all three. (and MoH and Zeus)

- How useful was your UA? After sweeping the early wonders, I probably should have built more settlers instead of all those medieval and renaissance wonders.

- Did you use spying to your advantage? Yes. (but nothing interesting)

- Did the map type help or hinder victory and how? Don't know.

- Was Faith helpful to achieve victory? How? I guess all the gold from Tithe was useful. I could have bought a lot more GS's at the end (had about 11000 faith leftover, and a great prophet cooling his heels with nothing to do) but I don't think it would have really sped things up because I didn't time the Rationalism finisher nor Space Procurements very well. I also had Feed the World, so that helped my cities grow.

- What Social Policies did you choose and in what order? Honor opener, full Liberty, Patronage opener, Commerce opener, then dabbled with Rationalism, Commerce, and Freedom. Eventually I finished both Rationalism and Commerce.

- What did you do for Science and Population expansion? The most important things were Temple of Artemis, and Feed the World.

- How did you like Highlands? I prefer playing the Incas on Highlands ;)

I did buy my last two libraries with faith. With Honor opener it could be possible to buy a good number of LIBS with faith if you could get to reformation fast enough. Raging barbs could have got me there pretty fast. I could have had an army of chariots with no hammers going to LIBS and used faith to buy libs once I got JESUIT ED. I still didn't have a GS but this would have got me NC sooner.

Honor opener pushed my culture into overdrive I got all culture CS as allies for whole game. sitting on their border and killing barbs. To kick it up a notch would like to declare war on all but the strongest Civ and pillage the Civs. Monte and Germany play interesting games when your forced to open Honor. Seen GOM that Honor tree must be filled out but this forces domination. Suggest we play GOM with honor opener make it diety:crazyeye:.

Date submitted: 2015-11-17 22:23:47
Reference number: 33518
Your name: ZerrorR
Game date: 1954AD
Turns played: 374
Base score: 2460
Final score: 3324
Time played: 5:44:00

Unorthodox rules attracted me yet again to participate :D

- Did you use your UU?
Egypt has UU?! On Prince?! Useless. Played peacefully entire game. Barbs were fended of with plain archers and their upgrades.

- Was your UB useful?
Happiness is extra nice, helped a lot with expanding cities

Very, from start i went wonder happy. That is mainly a reason for this late finish. If i can build something, i build it.

Nah, i put my spies in culture city states, and forget them for the reminder of the game. The exception being forcing science funding through world congress.

It certainly hindered. Scarce food in capital and my first exp /SW of Wellington, in desert area, for Petra/ slowed me down significantly.

Went wonder-happy. Since I knew opponents would be slow, I relaxed too much. Emperer is my difficulty.

Yes. My first wonder was Stonehenge for the early prophet, pantheon was Science for city connection, Tithe, pagodas, swords into plows and itinerant preachers. All that faith helped me in the end of the game to buy off 4 or 5 scientists and finish game at least 20 turns earlier

Went liberty for worker and settler, then piety for reformation, finished liberty, started on commerce (three policies), then opened full science and went order ideology. Actually bought 2 landschnet *whateverthenameis* unit. It was fun hunting barbs with them.

All my trade routes were bringing food to the capital. It finished with 31/32 pop. Thebes with Petra didn't have any trouble growing, other cities were on good food spots. After renaissance i pretty much bought every other building. Religion was spreading on its on with 30% further away and money kept flowing.

It was fun.

Game date: 1680AD
Turns played: 246
Base score: 2126
Final score: 4338
Time played: 12:53:00

My NC was late at 117, so everything was late, but with 8 cities total, things pick up speed at end game.
Education 131
ST 180
Plastics 215

Launched 31 turns after Plastics, which is high considering the number of cities. I mistimed the end pretty badly, should've start bulbing sooner as my Hubble was finished after Apollo, and all GS generated with Hubble and Porcelain Tower was not even needed for bulbs. So I ended up with 3 extra. Faith bought 3 GS, along with GMer for extra gold, as the AI were way to poor on prince to borrow from. My cities pumped out wealth at the end and made the gold requirement for all 6 parts without much to spare. Full pagodas along with Sistine, GT, Oracle, SoL, so many culture CS and winning WF provided so many extra SP. Early extra SP was into patronage opener, I also had 1 extra in Freedom, and had enough to complete Commerce for the faith GMer. Pretty much in permanent golden age after Universal Suffrage.

Wonders before NC:
Temple of Artemis T62, Great Library T64, Petra T87 (with liberty GE), Pyramids T88

Following wonders in order after Education:
Borobudur, Chichen Itza, Oracle (timed for Renaissance), Notre Dame, Angkor Wat, Hagia Sophia, Sistine Chapel, Forbidden Palace, Taj Mahal (timed to start Universal Suffrage GA), Globe Theater, Piza, (Hubble, Porcelain tower built but GS never used)
Missed Stonehenge and Machu Picchu, but wasn't a big deal.

As expected, AI was pathetic on prince, and I was very surprised that Alex + Dido actually DoW me at the same time, despite both being 2 eras behind me, because they both covet my lands and think I had too many cities. War didn't go well for them of course, and I gained nothing much from the war except for some tiny amount of gpt, and lost growth due to deactivating Swords into Plowshares.

The other surprise was my lost WLKTD because they ask for Pearls, which I never found until very late. If I knew where it was, I would've DoW Ashur for take his city for it. Actually, it still isn't even in his culture border at the end.

My religion was so strong at the end that it got 51 cities, while the other religions combined total 9. Also I was surprised an AI actually proposed world religion for me. Also, only 4 religion was found. 5th was still available.

- Did you use your UU? No, since it doesn't upgrade into ranged.

- Was your UB useful? Very good for wide game.

- How useful was your UA? Spammed lots of wonders throughout, but especially useful for early ToA and GL.

- Did you use spying to your advantage? Kept one in Thebes, and used rank 3 ones to rig elections. Didn't even need to coup since no AI had high enough influence for it to be worth it.

- Did the map type help or hinder victory and how? Highlands had lots of land, so lots of barb, and it hurt AI/CS a lot more than hurting me. They keep having lux pillaged and costing me some happiness at times. I built more units then usual to camp my borders.

- How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions? Easy wonder spams, negligible AI tech rate, meant that I have to do everything, including more then 2k hammers into WF.

- Was Faith helpful to achieve victory? How? For buying GS. I had more than 6k, so enough for 3 GS + 1 GMer

- What Social Policies did you choose and in what order? Full liberty, Patronage opener, 2 Commerce, Rationalism up to Secularism + Free thought, Freedom to Universal Suffrage, finish freedom 6 and finish commerce while timing Rat finisher for Nanotech.

GE Petra in my desert expo into a very high hammer city, otherwise it will never grow. 3 food TR to capital, rest to late cities and cities without many freshwater farms. Timed Oracle for SP upon entering Renaissance, and natural SP 1 turn afterwards, for Rationalism Secularism. Freedom for extra growth and buying parts. Also all cities had observatories.

- How did you like Highlands? I like the challenge of dealing with barbs, and all the possible observatories.

Spoiler :

Game status: Cultural Victory (I didn't realize I was near one till it happened XD)
Game date: 1962AD
Turns played: 382
Base score: Wht??
Final score: 1778
Time played: 5:23:00

- Did you use your UU? Nope

- Was your UB useful? It was vital to my early game

- How useful was your UA? After the very beginning it was very useful (I forgot it was on Prince, so I played early like I would on Immortal XD)

- Did you use spying to your advantage? No, other than with city states and counter Spies.

- Did the map type help or hinder victory and how? Keeping myself safe was nice, so were observatories. BUT, having bands of three horsemen enter my lands when I least expect it sucks SOOO much :mad: (It happened like three or four times!!)

I forgot it wasn't Immortal early on, so I couldn't get some of the great early wonders like GL and ToA.

- Was Faith helpful to achieve victory? How? Tithe. Thats all that really needs to be said, my religion was really dominant.

- What Social Policies did you choose and in what order? Full Lib -> 4 Aes -> 3 Rat -> 10 Order -> 1 Aes -> 2 Rat-> 3 Order ->4 Pat

- What did you do for Science and Population expansion? Food was awful, barely did anything early game because it sucked so much, I felt really static until really late game where all outputs started to pick up.

- How did you like Highlands? I like it a good bit.

Attachments

• 2015-11-21_00001.jpg
    2015-11-21_00001.jpg
    487.6 KB · Views: 116
Since it was a replay, I'd assume it's not eligible. I still got around to finishing it

Spoiler :

Game date: 1685AD
Turns played: 247
Base score: 1819
Final score: 3712
Time played: 2:56:00

Now on to the good bits:

Did you use your UU? Built a few for defenses, then forgot all about them once I tamed the barbs

Was your UB useful? Very, since the gameplan involved Jesuit Education

How useful was your UA? In the beginning it was useful to get the early wonders out of the way quickly

Did you use spying to your advantage? Kind of. After I sat them all in my capital to level up by killing other spies, I rotated them between various coups. Since a spy can only coup a CS that has an ally, I had to wait a bit.

Did the map type help or hinder victory and how? At one point I lost track of my science output which was in the mid 100s and it spiked to 250ish within 5-10 turns because I got observatories on.

How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions? I went for a lot more wonders than usually, On Deity, most of those are impossible to get

Was Faith helpful to achieve victory? How? It was the central point of my strategy since I knew from the start this would be a good opportunity to test Jesuit Education

What Social Policies did you choose and in what order? Liberty left hand side to free Settler -> Full Piety with Reformation as a finisher since there was no need to rush it, and Theocracy was a must early game due to gold issues -> Rationalism -1 because I saved the finished for Satellites -> Commerce to Mercantilism -> Freedom 6, including New Deal to enhance Holy Sites

What did you do for Science and Population expansion? Mass Caravans and allied Maritime city states early by doing barb quests for them, I was a bit lucky with both.

How did you like Highlands? Eh, I never played on it before, I suppose Incas would be absolutely OP on a map like this :D

Additional Notes:

Spoiler :

I was attacked by Carthage and Assyria early but after stalling them both, they offered gpt in peace deals. Economy really took off after Theocracy, roads, markets and Machu, and after Observatories it was smooth sailing. Won the WF pretty much all by myself, took all relevant wonders and saved writers for the massive bulb after the boost ended

Education 125 or something
ST around 170 can't remember
Plastics 211

Goes to show that even with a relatively low pop, if you can mass enough scientists like I did through timing wonders and passing Sci Funding, bulbs can get silly towards the end.

Attachments

• egy.jpg
    egy.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 168
Turn 305 victory.

- Did you use your UU? - I did! Fast moving helpd a lot to keep my wide empire safe, and I never had to upgrade them to keep the barbs at bay. Eventually, since Dido attacked me 3 separate times, they died, but were plenty useful.

- Was your UB useful? - Absolutely. Helped to go wide fast and to keep faith rolling.

- How useful was your UA? - I was able to get the wonders I wanted, except for a couple.

- Did you use spying to your advantage? - I leveled them up and then sent them out to rig elections.

- Did the map type help or hinder victory and how? - It had plenty of land, but I was passing over city sites I thought were not good enough. After seeing the in progress thread I went to those sites, and I think it helped, although I was 125 turns late in getting with the program. I replayed and went wide first and managed to finish T280. But scouting was hard, and lines into the enemy were also tough. Also, a barb camp spawned inside a mountain ring, and 2 city states gave me a quest to kill it =(

- How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions? - I knew the enemies wouldn't do much for me science wise, but they did like my iron and horses!

- Was Faith helpful to achieve victory? How? - It was. Getting the religion going with tithe kept my coffers full, allowing me (with a Gm faith bought) to purchase all parts on the turn they were available.

- What Social Policies did you choose and in what order? - Liberty 3, honor opener, liberty 2, commerce 2, liberty finisher (GE for petra), ratio 3, commerce 1, freedom 6, finish ratio and commerce.

- What did you do for Science and Population expansion? Lots of pretty fresh water, internal trade routes, and helpful maritime city states. That and food for shrines and temples.

- How did you like Highlands? - was interesting. I figured out barbs would be an issue in my practice game, so I had sufficient defenses to stave them off. The observatories everywhere was really pretty neat, but it was a bit painful to explore. Overall a fun map! Thanks for putting it (and the restriction) together!

You may have overlooked it, but the announcement thread for this specific GOTM states the following:

POLICY RESTRICTION FOR THIS GAME YOU MAY NOT USE TRADITION POLICY TREE
All policies will be available but use of the Tradition tree will mean being excluded from the results

Date submitted: 2015-11-25 06:53:57
Reference number: 33555
Your name: Acken
Game date: 1555AD
Turns played: 221
Base score: 1917
Final score: 4356
Time played: 4:24:00
Submitted save: TSG122_Win.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Acken_C512201.Civ5Save

7 city Liberty. Engineering first, NC, Workshops, Education T124, Plastics T190.
Build order: Scout Scout Monument Scout Worker Scout Spearman x2 Settlers x6

Got a ton of wonders: ToA, GL, Stonehenge, Mausoleum, Colossus, Oracle, Parthenon, Petra, CI, HS, MP, ND, GT, Pisa, Porcelain, Sistine, TajMahal, BigBen, SoL, Hubble.

Won the world fair with 2300-2500 can't remember. Nobody got a medal but me.

Finished with one possible extra scientist through faith and had to wait one extra turn to get the gold. Screenshot is on full gold and after selling a few labs. I got 1600ish max science without research process.

I went Liberty (6), Piety (1), Commerce (2), Rationalism (4), Freedom (2), Commerce (3), Freedom (3), Rationalism (5), Freedom (4), Rationalism (6), Freedom (6)
Religion: Religious idols, Church property, Pagodas, Feed the world, Itinerant preachers

Spoiler :

- Did you use your UU?
No although I could have make 1 for barb hunt
- Was your UB useful?
Yes, the +2happi and no maintenance helps a lot
Wonder whoring for the fun
No, the AI had no CS and was too far away in tech
This script is annoying with narrow passages and lakes. I guess having observatories everywhere helps though...
Forces you to ignore the AI. I bullied some of them to get extra gold.
Pagodas for happiness and reached 5000 faith at the end.
See above
??
See above

Game date: 1965AD
Turns played: 385
Score: 1777

Hi!
I just recently came across this page and liked this idea and decided to try out the "competitive gaming". Anyway, as a casual player, I got more real life result, but it was fun a bunch! Thanks for making the GOTM.

- Did you use your UU? All these abbreviations are killing me, as I see them first time and trying to figure them out. lol. No, I didn't use UU

- Was your UB useful? Yes, very.

- How useful was your UA? Very useful. I like to build wonders

- Did you use spying to your advantage? Had 2 spies counterspying, rest were in city states

- Did the map type help or hinder victory and how? I had trouble with food on this kind of map. Had to go spawn another city beyond Singapore to get coal.

- How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions? I was dismissing AI probably too much, as they caught me surprised with couple wonders

- Was Faith helpful to achieve victory? How? I always use Faith to sponsor myself, this game included

- What Social Policies did you choose and in what order? Liberty, 1 Honor, Patronage to Science bonus, Rationalism, Order to Spaceflight pioneers, then finished up Patronage

- What did you do for Science and Population expansion? I wish, I could use Tradition. lol. Now reading here I realize, I could have done so much more.

- How did you like Highlands? It took forever to explore and I love to explore.

Oh, did I mention I forgot I could use faith to buy Scientists until almost the end? Silly me.

Spoiler :
TSG122Result.jpg

Top Bottom