News: GOTM 146 England. Pregame Discussion

AlanH

Mac addict, php monkey
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Thanks for this game go to templar_x.

In game number 146 of the classic game of the month series you will rule over the English. They are Commercial and Expansionist, and build the Man-o-War in place of Frigates. This is an Emperor level game, and and this month we sponsor the 100k victory condition.

This game continues to use a modified form of the standard PTW scenario, and although no bugs have been reported in some time, it is possible that play testing has not been exhaustive. Any in-game event or behaviour that a player feels is unintended should be reported to the GOTM staff immediately.

Starting location

Click for a bigger image.

Only minor changes were made to adjust starting locations, otherwise this is an out-of-the box start save.

Scope of the Game

Civilization|England
Difficulty|Emperor
Map size|Standard
Map topology|Continents, 70% Land
Climate|All standard
Rivals|7 random
Barbarians|Roaming
Available victory conditions|All enabled
Required victory condition|100k Culture
Starting Save Available|December 2, 2015
Submissions due|January 13, 2016

PLEASE NOTE THE CLOSING DATE

The starting save will be available on the Release Page on December 2nd.

Have a great game!

It will be my first time to play GOTM and COTM. :) I normally do standard gameplays. I hope I can join on Dec 2.

It will be my first time to play GOTM and COTM. :) I normally do standard gameplays. I hope I can join on Dec 2.

Hello, lifetap, and welcome to this friendly competition!

Please read the introduction page carefully. The most important rules are:

• Do Not Reload A Save To Change Any Move, Outcome Or Decision. This Includes Replaying From The Start.
  • If you are uncertain about whether an action is an exploit, you should contact the staff before doing it.

But the rest of the rules also apply at all times.

Some of the introduction and FAQ texts are obsolete, as the game is now in a finished state and no more patches can be expected. We also don't use a modpack anymore. Just a standard Play the World or Conquests programme of the latest version is needed. Download the save and play! Be sure to select the right programme or your result cannot be accepted.

What about a quick palace jump away from the coast. Use the first settler to set a center, grow it out and settler disband? I've never done that before however so I don't know how the mechanics would work.

I hate settling on a coast. This coast "looks" to run straight NW to SW. That only gives a 1/2 ring. What about 2 tiles to the NE?

Palace jump goes basically like so:

• Settle in place
  • Produce Settler
  • Settle new Capital as normal city
  • Max out production in old Captial while producing Settlers and/or Workers until population is down to two
  • With no food surplus (+/-0 fpt), produce a Settler
  • Select "Abandon London"
The Palace jumps to the largest, most central, best fortified city. There is a formula.

Più Freddo;14069731 said:

• Settle in place
  • Produce Settler
  • Settle new Capital as normal city
  • Max out production in old Captial while producing Settlers and/or Workers until population is down to two
  • With no food surplus (+/-0 fpt), produce a Settler
  • Select "Abandon London"
The Palace jumps to the largest, most central, best fortified city. There is a formula.
There is always a formula. Now the better question is, can we do this during an emperor level game or do you lose too much time.

Più Freddo;14069731 said:

No need to settler-disband at size 2: you can also settler-disband at size 1... Gives you an extra worker compared to disbanding at size 2. (Only restriction: you cannot settler-disband at size 1, if you are agricultural, because the size 1 town will always have +1 food... ;)

Okay, it's PTW. ;)

:confused:
Expansionist Civs also get an extra scout in C3C! No difference to PtW here?!
(Or do you mean the fact that in C3C Engand is seafaring instead of expansionist?)

No need to settler-disband at size 2: you can also settler-disband at size 1... Gives you an extra worker

Do you mean Worker-abandon at size 1 or is there a secret trick of which I am not aware?

(Disbanding a Settler would give 7 shields and nothing else.)

got it, but im playing more for the fun and discussing with you guys, not about ranking with you guys. at least for now. :))

got questions though
1.) civ assist wont work for my windows 10
2.) scout blocking resources is considered exploit, how about blocking it with worker/settler/warrior?

Another question..

why is it "all victory conditions" vs "required victory condition"?

does that mean that enemies may meet any condition while we must have the 100k culture and not any other victory condition?

Più Freddo;14076884 said:
Do you mean Worker-abandon at size 1 or is there a secret trick of which I am not aware?

Calling it 'Settler-abandoning' might clarify. Which is done by arranging the town's growth/ production so that it builds the Settler just as it hits Pop2 -- either by careful MM, or forest-chopping, or (later on, once you're in Mon/Rep) by cash-rushing on the turn before growth. You still have to MM for +0FPT after the Settler has all its shields in the box, otherwise the town keeps accumulating food -- so the town will spend 1T at Pop2 -- but the Settler will then appear (and the town disappear) on the next IBT.
There is always a formula. Now the better question is, can we do this during an emperor level game or do you lose too much time.
Palace-jumping at a relatively early stage is certainly still possible at Emp in C3C (so should be feasible in PtW as well). I did it during my first solo attempt at this level (pRNGods Game1, as the Dutch on a Small 60% Continents-map; linked in sig) on Turn 66 (1350 BC), having already built most of my new 1st-ring towns. I won that game with a PB result (Space in 1745 AD).

does that mean that enemies may meet any condition while we must have the 100k culture and not any other victory condition?
That's correct.

Più Freddo;14076884 said:

I mean "settler-abandon at size 1". Don't tell me you haven't been aware of the fact, that settlers can also be built at size 1? No need to wait until the town grows to 2...! ;)

Calling it 'Settler-abandoning' might clarify. Which is done by arranging the town's growth/ production so that it builds the Settler just as it hits Pop2

Looks like no one understood what I mean... :mischief: Pìu Freddo didn't and you neither.

"Settler-abandoning just as it hits Pop2" cannot work by definition: remember that a town needs to make 0fpt in order to abandon it? So how can it grow to size 2, when it makes 0fpt?
No, I repeat -- you can build the settler at size 1 (with 0fpt), and you will get the popup asking whether you would like to abandon the town. You say "yes", and voila - you have generated 2 pop-points (a settler) out of 1 pop-point (a size 1 town)!
This is the whole point I'm trying to get accross: you can create additional population by building workers until population is down to 1 and only then settler-abandoning! (Instead of settler-abandoning when population is down to 2, as Pìu Freddo advised in his instructions above.)

No, I repeat -- you can build the settler at size 1 (with 0fpt), and you will get the popup asking whether you would like to abandon the town. You say "yes", and voila - you have generated 2 pop-points (a settler) out of 1 pop-point (a size 1 town)!
This is the whole point I'm trying to get accross: you can create additional population by building workers until population is down to 1 and only then settler-abandoning!

Sounds like a bug exploit to me.

Top Bottom