SGOTM 22 - Insolita Suspicatur

Thanks for screenshots. Looks like we could trade a wine.
I agree: Hannibal (he is closest) and Currency (trade routes).
Do we have a plan for building the required Wonders?

edit: have worker(s) travel with army and build a road?

I think cancelling the tribute wine to Saladin comes first. As for WW, there are many options. GLib is a favorite of mine, but w/o stone/marble, and seemingly trailing the AI in wonder-techs (note caendar and Theo are long gone), maybe we focus on getting some GEmg and picking up later wonders.

Lets conquer the world first and then see whats wonder are left for us. GLib in rome would not be to optimal since we always get the risk of having another spy. If I didnt remember things wrong there is marble under carthage so Taj would be something to aim at if something.

Speaking of Taj I dont want to be repetitive but this is the third time I bring up the question if we should go for cannons rather than curs. After alpha and currency we should choose one of the paths. I dont think we can conquer the world with praets only the AI have had a to gifted start for that.

Lets conquer the world first and then see whats wonder are left for us. GLib in rome would not be to optimal since we always get the risk of having another spy. If I didnt remember things wrong there is marble under carthage so Taj would be something to aim at if something.

Speaking of Taj I dont want to be repetitive but this is the third time I bring up the question if we should go for cannons rather than curs. After alpha and currency we should choose one of the paths. I dont think we can conquer the world with praets only the AI have had a to gifted start for that.

I vote cannons. Cuirs are way too fallible here, and will struggle even against pikes. And AI will have strong cultural defenses. Cannons are versatile, and kill everything. Elephants can protect them pretty well against anything well face. Knights work with killing anything after cannon blasts.:ar15:

If we decide to go for cannon, do we do any warring before then, or wait until we can blow things up from a distance with our big guns? (Near term we do some fighting with elephants and praets, but after that/before cannon?)

On wonders, we should be able to build them later although this may cause delays at the end game. Maybe we can pick up one or two along the way? There are a few odd ones that double for resources other than stone/marble, like Shwedagon and Zeus.

25BC, t114
4 cities: Fishy (4), Wineyard (6), The Rome (9), Irony (1)
Rome has 4 civilian buildings: library, monument, granary, plus the GW

Excess food: +2 Rome, +6 Wineyard, +7 Fishy, +1 Irony.
hpt (base): 16/3/1/2

Civics: HR+Slavery (no changes this set)

Finances: 38 gold, -16gpt at 100% research; breakeven at 75% (This will decrease as we make an army)

Diplo:
Cancel wine to Saladin; look for health resources to gain in trade Gilga will accept wine for corn. Decline demands.

Turnset goal: whip/chop army of Praets + cats, target Hannibal/Carthage

Duration: approx 10t to pause and adjust on learning alphabet

Tech: Alphabet (7t at 70% with +4gpt) (do equivalent in binary 100%/0%

generally: 5 to 3 whips in Fishy/Wineyard, mainly cats. The Rome builds Praets (with barracks) organically grown plus chops. Irony finishes monument, then expans to deer+fish.

Situation: Gilga/Darius at war; Saladin + Brennus in war planning mode.

Anything else you want me to do/watch for?

Why Alphabet? What after alphabet? What does learning alphabet trigger or is that just a good pausing point?

Watch for troop movements. Pause on Declarations.
Army gather where? When start to move army north? What are workers doing? :chop: :hammer:

Why Alphabet? What after alphabet? What does learning alphabet trigger or is that just a good pausing point?

Watch for troop movements. Pause on Declarations.
Army gather where? When start to move army north? What are workers doing? :chop: :hammer:

I think Alphabet then Currency. Cannot do a conquest victory without currency. Currency also unlocks the Forum, which helps with GPP as well as is a civilian building. At some point we want CoL, too for keeping those far away cities with courthouses.

Watch for troops, check!
Pause on Declarations; check!
Army gather in The Rome for now. Will not begin full mobilization until after this PPP duration.

Workers will be chopping. Later, the deer improvement and roads north, if no critical improvements remain.

Do we wanr to include a couple fast movers (chariots or horse archers) with our force for move + pillage, recon, and fast reaction options? What about war elephants, to balance the stack a bit and guard against mounted units or other poor matchups?

You mention a barracks in the capital, what about the other cities? Yes, it means one less unit each in the short run but with the amount of warring we are going to be doing it will likely be worthwhile in the longer term.

I think Alphabet then Currency. Cannot do a conquest victory without currency. Currency also unlocks the Forum, which helps with GPP as well as is a civilian building. ...
Why not Currency before Alphabet?
With No Tech Trading, what are the benefits of learning Alphabet? Are we going to build spies?

edit: are beakers saved by Alpha first > beakers gained by earlier Currency?

Green with some comments (not only for the PPP):
We should not fear giving sal wine again its better than he attacking us so some reasonable demands are ok I guess. At least not all of our money.
Ad a phant or two to match hannis numibian calvary.
We want alpha for stealing techs and see the tech situation but currency first might be alittle bit better but I wont give a red light for alpha.
Waring between carthage and cannons would depend on what darius and sal descide to do. If they go after us we wont have a choice if they are after each other we might have to join one of the side to make sure that no one grow to big.
I think that I built barracks in Fishy and Wineyard to in the waiting time.

I think that we might have to increase the lenght of each turnset if we want to finish this game. I cant be more active than just giving green light the week before and after christmas. I dont know about kcd but if he dont have time either then its just 4 weeks left. A preliminary plan would be for 4 weeks:

1 kill carthage (~50 turns)
2 tech until cannons (~50 turns)
3 conquer the world with cannons (~50 turns)
4 build 5-6 wonders (10 turns)+extra time if something goes wrong

I think every step has just as much important stuff to discuss so with 10-20 turns/week we will miss the deadline and we should start to speed up.

OK, I'll make it currency first - even though it costs a small amount of pre-req. tech bonus (10% more beakers for currency iirc). I suspect the extra trade route for 7t mare than makes up. Alpha is good to see tech... we might decide a spy mission or two is worth the effort after all. But we'll discuss our options.

I'll put at least one chariot or HA and one or two elephants in the queue... char to replace a cat and elephant to replace a Praet.

I agree we'll have to go faster, but would rather make big turnsets during the mop-up than during delicate strategizing. We'll skip micro-plans, though (like I've already been doing).

I plan to be bored at the inlaws during xmas week, so play time won't be an issue... just team coordinating is questionable, as I won't want to make big decisions on my own.

I'll play within 24hr unless I see red.

I plan to be bored at the inlaws during xmas week, so play time won't be an issue... just team coordinating is questionable, as I won't want to make big decisions on my own.[/QUOTE]

Great then we have some more time to plan things carefully.
And good luck building chars without horses. Wr skipped that city and founded fishy instead.

Green

good point about schedule
we have five weeks, deadline is Jan 7

I'm a step closer to being able to play. I bought Civ IV Complete from Steam. Still need to download it and get HoF mod working; might be a few days. Maybe I could take a turnset next week.

I plan to be bored at the inlaws during xmas week, so play time won't be an issue... just team coordinating is questionable, as I won't want to make big decisions on my own.

Great then we have some more time to plan things carefully.
And good luck building chars without horses. Wr skipped that city and founded fishy instead.[/QUOTE]

Magic horses.:lol:

Green

good point about schedule
we have five weeks, deadline is Jan 7

I'm a step closer to being able to play. I bought Civ IV Complete from Steam. Still need to download it and get HoF mod working; might be a few days. Maybe I could take a turnset next week.

Fingers crossed!

Currency was the right call... extra +2/+3 trade routes in every city is worth it.:goodjob: Teamwork!:king:

One little error, I missed a whip that I meant to do in Wineyard, so pop there is higher than expected but still got the same number of units so not too big oops. I did not hire scientists, though, so now its time to make GSci points there and slow down unit production there a little.

Our army atm consists of 4 Praets, 2 WE, and 6 cats, with one Praet finishing this turn. Plus all the archers/warriors we had before. Some should follow and act as city defense for captured cities.

What is left to build before setting out on adventure? One last round of hard whipping?

One bad thing: barb galley pillaged fish at fishy.

I suggest metal casting next to prevent that in the future, and its on the way to guilds/steel.

I cancelled tribute trade with Saladin. I traded wine to Gilga for corn. We have a wine we could sell for cash (now with currency), and another wine we can connect to do likewise. I declined Brennus request to join his war on Gilga. Saladin offers OB but I decline.

The AI have all founded cities right up to our borders, so there is no more expansion without mayhem.

SOA: How many vote for mayhem?;)

Here is the upload log
Spoiler :
Here is your Session Turn Log from 25 BC to 175 AD:

Turn 114, 25 BC: The Hagia Sophia has been built in a far away land!

Turn 117, 50 AD: Brennus adopts Hereditary Rule!

Turn 119, 100 AD: Chandragupta Maurya (Great General) has been born in a far away land!

Turn 120, 125 AD: The enemy has been spotted near Fishy!
Turn 120, 125 AD: The Rome has become unhealthy.
Turn 120, 125 AD: Wineyard will become unhealthy on the next turn.
Turn 120, 125 AD: Fishy has grown to size 5.
Turn 120, 125 AD: Saladin has 110 gold available for trade.
Turn 120, 125 AD: Darius I will trade Fish
Turn 120, 125 AD: Gilgamesh will trade Fish
Turn 120, 125 AD: Zara Yaqob will trade Fish
Turn 120, 125 AD: Clearing a Forest has created 24 ℤ for The Rome.
Turn 120, 125 AD: Clearing a Forest has created 30 ℤ for The Rome.
Turn 120, 125 AD: Wineyard will grow to size 7 on the next turn.

Turn 121, 150 AD: Wineyard has grown to size 7.
Turn 121, 150 AD: Wineyard has become unhealthy.
Turn 121, 150 AD: Wineyard can hurry Catapult for 2⇴ with 19ℤ overflow and +1⇤ for 17 turns.
Turn 121, 150 AD: Zara Yaqob has 5 gold per turn available for trade.
Turn 121, 150 AD: You have discovered Currency!

Turn 122, 175 AD: The Rome can hurry Praetorian for 1⇴ with 33ℤ overflow and +1⇤ for 10 turns.
Turn 122, 175 AD: Wineyard has become healthy.
Turn 122, 175 AD: Fishy can hurry Catapult for 2⇴ with 24ℤ overflow and +1⇤ for 38 turns.
Turn 122, 175 AD: Brennus has 90 gold available for trade.
Turn 122, 175 AD: Darius I has 120 gold available for trade.
Turn 122, 175 AD: Hannibal has 50 gold available for trade.
Turn 122, 175 AD: Brennus will trade Fish
Turn 122, 175 AD: Saladin will trade Silk

some screens
View attachment 401423

View attachment 401424

View attachment 401425

Top Bottom