Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Have you tried putting the files in \My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\CustomAssets ? It might work.

What are the conditions for a city to celebrate the "We love the X" day?
And what are the effects?

A city that has "we love the whatever day" doesn't cost you any maintenance that turn. Any city which has no angry citizens, is not unhealthy, starving or rebelling, and is above a certain size (6?) has a chance of having it each turn.

My cities always advertise that they're celebrating on back to back turns, but only during the first turn is it maintenance free. Does this happen to anyone else?

Here's one that you guys can hopefully answer for me:
I'm in the late game, and a difficult war is upon me, so I've switched to Nationhood so I can draft in some extra muscle. But I can't click the draft button on any of my cities! Nor does a helpful pop-up appear to tell me why the option is greyed out. Everything is standard in the game, my cities are large enough, etc. I know it's poor planning on my part, but I'm going to have to abandon my game if I can't draft any more units.

Tutorial - Is there a way to stop it and return to where you left off? I've saved it after a good 1.5hrs to return and its not working properly. About how long does it take to go through it, anyway to skip ahead? Seems poorly implemented to me, a bit more featured then it need be, makes it difficult to run through it.

*EDIT: Bah, went through it again, took about 45 minutes start to finish as I was nearly done anyway so I could cruise through most of it, reason it took so long to start from going further in depth into some things didn't need to, go ahead and comment though if you find something applicable.
/Thanks.

peace,

When i first played civ IV i thought this is the best strategy game ever...lol but when i reached 2050 a.C it ended...can i play longer than that? or does it always end at this time ?

Here's one that you guys can hopefully answer for me:
I'm in the late game, and a difficult war is upon me, so I've switched to Nationhood so I can draft in some extra muscle. But I can't click the draft button on any of my cities! Nor does a helpful pop-up appear to tell me why the option is greyed out. Everything is standard in the game, my cities are large enough, etc. I know it's poor planning on my part, but I'm going to have to abandon my game if I can't draft any more units.

One thing I have to check; You have completed the switch to nationhood haven't you? You're not still in the anarchy from swapping civics are you, because you won't be able to draft during that.

I'm a spiritual civ, but I waited another turn anyway... and still it didn't appear. I think I'll post the save...

Edit: I think I've found the answer, but it's a REALLY ****ty answer if I'm correct. I have rifling and rocketry but not the tech for infantry, which means the only foot-soldier type I can build right now is the SAM infantry: I can't build riflemen. This seems to mean that there are simply no troop types that I can draft available. Nice one!

Elegy said:
When i first played civ IV i thought this is the best strategy game ever...lol but when i reached 2050 a.C it ended...can i play longer than that? or does it always end at this time ?

I am wondering this also. I don't want the game I'm playing to end. Even after there is a winner, I want to keep playing, like in the old civs. Is that correct that it ends? I have not reached that point yet.

thanks,
Ben E Gas

Elegy said:

Hello, and welcome to the forums.

There are a number of ways to play past 2050. The eassiest option is to start a custom game. Main menu > single player > custom game.

There, you can set up many different options to change your game. For your specific question, look for the section marked "victory conditions," then uncheck the box next to Time. This will allow you to play past 2050AD.

Have fun!

Where's that page on this site with the descriptions of each map type? I forgot. Anyone that know? Thanks.

Quick question:

Is there a limit to the number of units you can gift another civ?

If no, then would I be able to do this:

Scenario: France is at war with the Americans. I want to help out the French by gifting them 10 or so War Elephants. Would this affect my relationship with the Americans?

Thanks in advance.

Hello Folks.

I have a couple of questions, and would appreciated their answers:

1. Cities within my Civ do not share techs, even though I have a road system in place. How do I get it to whenever I discover/arrive at a tech, this tech is available at my other cities concurrently. I find it annoying that I have to start all over again with the techs for each city, or at least I am no where near the same tech level throughout my Civ.

2. Is there a simple diagram which shows you the tech progressions? Yes, I am know that Great People & Wonders speed up and/or influence the tech progression. And, please don't tell me to use the in-game Civopedia, as it becomes a jumbled mess for me to figure out as a game progresses.

3. I have noticed that Longbowmen take down bombers. This isn't right, unless that was meant to be in the game for balance reasons.

4. I have asked Napoleon to join with me in a war against Alexander, which Napoleon did. But, even though Napoleon massed his troups around several of Alexander's cities, he never fought...even after I kissed and made up with Alexander, and the two were still at war. Also, these Civs were next to each other. A bug, or another reason for this?

5. Is there a way to pull in the mod builder into MP? Yes, it can open up cheating, but family is playing, and we wanted to experiment with different objects while we MP.

6. Is there a simple way to change the number of turns to finish the game, and place it as one of the menu choices (call it "Super Quick")? I may want to have a game be completed, say, in 200 turns. Maybe I should say, and easy way to do this.

7. I see that there is an expansion pack coming out. Why would anyone want to buy it if mods and scenarios are aplenty at CivFanatics? I am not trying to be a jerk, I am just asking...Am I missing something? Perhaps the expansion pack will also include an easy-to-use game editor?

Regards & Thanks, in advance, for your educating me.

John:)

Top Bottom