New patch 1.10 - no more mega city :-(

I have to disagree with your post. The mega-city strat is simply being made less-powerful. The Romans still start with a republic, they still have half-price wonders and half-price roads as the ancient and medeival bonuses. None of the ACTUAL bonuses of the Roman civ have been taken away so I'm not sure how the Romans are completely handicapped by this development.

Besides, you can rush other civs to get access to republic so they can run mega-city themselves. They are nerfing the mega-city for THE WHOLE GAME and FOR ALL CIVS. This is not only going to affect the Romans.

This may, indeed, make matches last longer, but you can always run a handicap to speed things along.

Wow I totally disagree with you.

Starting with Republic
Good when your starting the Foundation for a Mega city Start early- Gimped!

Half Price Roads - Good for connecting cities So you can protect Your Feeding Strat EASY and at the same time Feed your strat EASY - Gimped!

Half Cost Wonders- Good when your generating alot of gold FROM your mega city- Gimped

More great people- When your generating that culture from Your mega City/Wonders/buildings - Gimped

New cities start with +1 Pop worthless at that time of game.

AFter Patch

Half Price Roads- Cheaper Roads, connected cities can defend worthless cities.

Half Cost Wonders - no point Where you generating all the gold from?

More Great people - no point where are you developing all that culture from?

Wow I totally disagree with you.

I certainly didn't expect us to agree. I just think there are more strategies one could use in the game besides the mega-city strat whether it be with the Romans or any other Civ. I also do not think the usefulness of Romans bonuses should be written off just because mega-city is no longer an option.

It seems like this "mega-city" strategy is for gamers who have no patience or ability to grow cities any other way.

Believe it or not, you can make really huge cities (research, gold, and culture) without resorting to settlers stacking it up.

I imagine this mega-city strategy is popular amongst gamers who haven't played Civ much, or at all, before this.

But I might be wrong. Maybe all you Civ vets are enjoying this. I personally enjoy the sense of reward that comes from properly placing and developing a city through the normal Civ methods.

P.S.
To the guy who said "Half cost Wonders - no good where is all that gold coming from" - If I'm not mistaken, half-cost means production cost, so that kind of ruins your point there.

From what i read its going to take like 100 settlers to make one mega city THATS ******ED. There is no reason to even have the strat now. They should just throw the roman civ out the window because all of their benefits are only benefical to mega city strat.

Do you think that when Sid Meier sat down and thought to himself "gee, let's come up with some bonuses for the Romans" he gave them Republic, 1/2 price roads, 1/2 price wonders, etc all because he pictured people making a bunch of satellite settler farms to pump up one gigantic city? Christ.

Even if you were right, the Romans would still be better than the Russians, and I don't see you complaining that they should be taken out of the game. Plus you haven't addressed the fact that as soon as you discover 3 or 4 techs or w/e it takes to get CoL anyone can do the mega-city strat anyway. Why are you so obsessed with the Romans' inability to use it now?

The Romans are my favorite civ to use and I don't even do the mega-city.

I personally enjoy the sense of reward that comes from properly placing and developing a city through the normal Civ methods.

Seriously. Play the game the way it was meant to be played people.

I certainly didn't expect us to agree. I just think there are more strategies one could use in the game besides the mega-city strat whether it be with the Romans or any other Civ. I also do not think the usefulness of Romans bonuses should be written off just because mega-city is no longer an option.

-Yes your right there is many strats I use em all I know how to play this game inside and out. I play the greeks with 2 cities and I win a good amount of head to head. If you see my most used civ its Greeks. I never do a mega city strat with them.
-Your right the Romans shouldnt be written off but im thinking redone

Ps Dont think the mega city strat needs to be gimped.

It seems like this "mega-city" strategy is for gamers who have no patience or ability to grow cities any other way.

Believe it or not, you can make really huge cities (research, gold, and culture) without resorting to settlers stacking it up.

I imagine this mega-city strategy is popular amongst gamers who haven't played Civ much, or at all, before this.

But I might be wrong. Maybe all you Civ vets are enjoying this. I personally enjoy the sense of reward that comes from properly placing and developing a city through the normal Civ methods.

P.S.
To the guy who said "Half cost Wonders - no good where is all that gold coming from" - If I'm not mistaken, half-cost means production cost, so that kind of ruins your point there.

-People should choose to play what strat they want. Dont forget Mega city strats weekness... WEAK MILITARY!
-People who havent played this game before have absolutely no idea of the strat, they wouldnt even have the basics down.
-For the half cost im not even sure what it means because i never played Romans online only on the demo. Dont really know what it means.

Do you think that when Sid Meier sat down and thought to himself "gee, let's come up with some bonuses for the Romans" he gave them Republic, 1/2 price roads, 1/2 price wonders, etc all because he pictured people making a bunch of satellite settler farms to pump up one gigantic city? Christ.

Even if you were right, the Romans would still be better than the Russians, and I don't see you complaining that they should be taken out of the game. Plus you haven't addressed the fact that as soon as you discover 3 or 4 techs or w/e it takes to get CoL anyone can do the mega-city strat anyway. Why are you so obsessed with the Romans' inability to use it now?

The Romans are my favorite civ to use and I don't even do the mega-city.

Seriously. Play the game the way it was meant to be played people.

-Umm I would guess because the Mega City Strat fits so well with the romans.
-Why should i adress that every civ can do it after 3 techs? That Only helps my arguement that mega cities are balanced. If every civ can do the same strategy than whats the problem? I know what it is a bunch of nubs got owned because they were not good enough to stop the romans oooo boooooo hooooooo.

How often have you played a person who picked the romans and did the mega city? For me it was twice I lost one and I won one. The person I beat was Mr Game Theory who was #1. I used the Zulus. I didnt win because the Zulu warriors had 2 movement NO I won because I rush bought a galley and used it as a quicker transportation. Point being I couldve been any civ and beaten him (wouldve rather been the arabs ;) )

Understand the mega city has the best benefit after its COMPLETED but it has the worst WEAKNESSES (before completed)
1.Time
2.Military
3.One city doing grunt work as opposed to all cities producing.

I just think everyone needs to stop moaning. They're decreasing the effectiveness of the strategy, and that's that. There's really no point in all arguing about it - it wont change anything.

I used to use the strategy, now I can't. Big deal, I'll think up a new strategy and a new civ to do it with. Don't worry about it. They've changed it in the interests of the game, and that can only be a good thing.

What concerns me more is that I can't actually play MP anymore as 1.10 broke the ability to connect to other players. So mega city or no mega city - it doesn't really matter since I can't play online anyway.

FYI MKElder, half cost = half production cost (and therefore less gold if you wanted to rush it).

Therefore, half cost Wonders (or anything for that matter) is a pretty good bonus to have.

I just think everyone needs to stop moaning. They're decreasing the effectiveness of the strategy, and that's that. There's really no point in all arguing about it - it wont change anything.

I used to use the strategy, now I can't. Big deal, I'll think up a new strategy and a new civ to do it with. Don't worry about it. They've changed it in the interests of the game, and that can only be a good thing.

I agree. I'm pretty sure that Firaxis never meant for people to take the mechanics of Settler production and use it to pump one city at the cost of all others in order to build one gigantic MegaCity. It probably just never came up. Gimping that strategy is exactly what needs to be done to get people to play the game the way it was meant to be played.

If they didn't want it in the game they wouldn't be keeping it. From my understanding the next patch will still allow you to use settlers to build up a city, but instead of automatically adding 1 population point it will add a certain amount of food.

So you will still be able to grow your cities with this method; it just won't automatically add a population point.

If they didn't want it in the game they wouldn't be keeping it. From my understanding the next patch will still allow you to use settlers to build up a city, but instead of automatically adding 1 population point it will add a certain amount of food.

So you will still be able to grow your cities with this method; it just won't automatically add a population point.

Right. That's the point. They meant for it to be a viable tactic (building a city up using Settlers) but they never meant for it to be the lynchpin of your overall game strategy. A player's 100% focus should not be on building one city up at the expense of all his other cities' production. This adjustment gimps that tactic and should return people's focus back to managing all their cities equally.

Well said in the 3 posts above this one. So can we stop this pointless moaning now that's settled then? :)

Having just said that though, there is plenty to be moaning about, like the fact that I can't even play MP anymore since patch 1.10, or the fact that the leaderboards are non-sense (0-3 beating 4-3????).

The only concern I have about gimping the settler thingy is that they only did it for Europe, not for US players, which is just plain wrong. Either do it for everyone, or don't do it at all. Pretty simple stuff. I'm definitely not accusing them of anything, but this is how companies end up in trouble for discrimination, you've really got to treat everyone equally, in everything you do, especially as an international business.

From the official 2K forums:

2K Elizabeth said:
A message from Sid about the MP change for retreating in battle

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey guys, i just got an email from Sid that can answer your questions about how the retreat now will work in multiplayer. to make things clear, i'll quote him directly!

"The change we're making in the patch removes the automatic upgrade for the defending unit when the attacker retreats in multi-player, however the defender is still credited with a combat victory and may be upgraded based on the standard combat victory bonuses."

Ah! There it is! Now the nerf makes more sense. The automatic unit upgrade goes away, but the normal upgrade mechanic applies. You can still do the collusion cheat with a buddy (if you're lame), but it will take a lot longer and be almost worthless to the cheaters. If you're playing legitimately, then the penalty is still severe enough that you don't want to just retreat all the time and use it as a cheap scout.

BS! the mega city needs no gimping this is straight nub driven. What a community when a bunch of nubs actually change a game... pathetic If you guys want the good ol civ go back to the computer.

Whos going to waste 3-4 settlers to get 1 pop????? Like I said the Mega City strat has the biggest flaws There is just to many nubs who dont know how to play.

Heres my suggestion just ban the strat in ladders. If you guys cant handle it LOL

BS! the mega city needs no gimping this is straight nub driven. What a community when a bunch of nubs actually change a game... pathetic If you guys want the good ol civ go back to the computer.

Funny, I'd think exact the opposite. I mean, I've definitely taken advantage of the mega-city tactic, but at the end, it's really a loophole (unplanned) that gave the player (esp. in easier level-ed single play) a huge boost over the computer. I'd be rolling tanks over the computer's warriors and archers all thanks to my mega-city. If anything, sounds more like it's the "nub" that are crying over the loss of an exploit/easy win.

If anything, this ups the challenge for the game and forces players to actually develop more than that one strategy. Yeah, I'll miss having tanks while everyone's still in the stone age, but, if you're more than just a "nub," you should be up for the challenge.

Top Bottom