Civilization 5 Rants Thread

This is a rant post - so how are negative comments controlled? I have also been on the Civ IV section of the boards and been roasted for suggesting V is not so bad - the mods let everything run as they should.

Also felt obliged to correct one part of your rant:

"In my opinion it's a complete and utter nonsense of what the other civs had been."

I got roasted for having the temerity to suggest that personal opinion was not universal truth.

I have no problem with people hating on V, I DO have a problem with people saying I must have a screw loose for liking it more than IV.

Damn it, this is rant thread not to argue and make valuable points about game. This is a tread for anyone who is angry of his/her mom to come to do a little moaning and ing.

This is a rant post - so how are negative comments controlled? I have also been on the Civ IV section of the boards and been roasted for suggesting V is not so bad - the mods let everything run as they should.

Any posts that are critical of Civ V posted in any thread, even some seemingly well reasoned ones backed up by concrete facts, can be moved here at any moderator's discretion. Please read the first post of this thread for the "official" version.

This is one way how the moderators are controlling negative comments about Civ V.

In all fairness, the moderators are just trying to do their job when they move posts here; they have limited time to make the right decision ... when reading a few (rare number) of these transplanted posts, I sometimes can't see what made it a rant as opposed to a well reasoned on-topic critique of Civ V, but I don't bother questioning it.

Please remember that this thread is for rants only. Well reasoned and researched critiques of Civ may not be welcome in this thread. Raves are certainly not welcome, as it may irritate the denizens of this thread and more to the point they are way off topic.

The opinions expressed above are my own. I'm not a moderator, but I do greatly appreciate the often thankless work they do.

Sun Tzu Wu

Any posts that are critical of Civ V posted in any thread, even some seemingly well reasoned ones backed up by concrete facts, can be moved here at any moderator's discression. Please read the first post of this thread for the "official" version.

This is one way how the moderators are controlling negative comments about Civ V.

In all fairness, the moderators are just trying to do their job when they move posts here; they have limited time to make the right decision ... when reading a few (rare number) of these transplanted posts, I sometimes can't see what made it a rant as opposed to a well reasoned on-topic critique of Civ V, but I don't bother questioning it.

Please remember that this thread is for rants only. Well reasoned and researched critiques of Civ may not be welcome in this thread. Raves are certainly not welcome, as it may irritate the denizens of this thread and more to the point they are way off topic.

The opinions expressed above are my own. I'm not a moderator, but I do greatly appreciate the often thankless work they do.

Sun Tzu Wu

Hey Sun - must say I can see where you are coming from - was just noting that I have seen many debates of pro and con that don't get moved here - but some that do may well deserve their own thread as you note.

Completely on the same (electronic) page as you :goodjob:

Damn it, this is rant thread not to argue and make valuable points about game. This is a tread for anyone who is angry of his/her mom to come to do a little moaning and ing.

Hey Civking, nice to see you again! You seem to be quite attracted to this thread, didn't you say liked the game?

Anyway, all the best! ;)

Thanks, and that sounds ok in theory - trouble is it seems to do this unit by unit. So as mentioned above, 'next turn' pops up - oh - that scout has 1MP left. OK, gave it orders, 'next turn' prompt pops up - oh - that bowman still has 1 mp. Rinse and repeat - when it should just cycle through everything that still has mp left before saying 'next turn'.

Yeah, don't think that's intended.

Also felt obliged to correct one part of your rant:

"In my opinion it's a complete and utter nonsense of what the other civs had been."

I got roasted for having the temerity to suggest that personal opinion was not universal truth.

I have no problem with people hating on V, I DO have a problem with people saying I must have a screw loose for liking it more than IV.

so what's your rant?
CiV is dumbed down beyond belief, riddled with exploits and lacks replayability. fact, not just my opinion but that of everyone who has played the civ series from start and some insight into what's good and what's not, and that makes it a fact.

i other words: moon still existed even if more than half of the population believed it didn't

so what's your rant?
CiV is dumbed down beyond belief, riddled with exploits and lacks replayability. fact, not just my opinion but that of everyone who has played the civ series from start and some insight into what's good and what's not, and that makes it a fact.

i other words: moon still existed even if more than half of the population believed it didn't
Well - I have played since Civ 1 and disagree = but this is a rant thread so you are welcome to yours (even if it is bollocks - since you said 'everyone' - and I am part of 'everyone' and don't share your opinion).

My rant was a bit further up - related to slow computation and 'end turn' button lying to me.

Well - I have played since Civ 1 and disagree = but this is a rant thread so you are welcome to yours (even if it is bollocks - since you said 'everyone' - and I am part of 'everyone' and don't share your opinion).

My rant was a bit further up - related to slow computation and 'end turn' button lying to me.

sorry, didn't notice. yes, computation speed is an issue for me too. That's why I switched to strategic map. Next turn is part of the bigger issue unit pathing which is part of the next bigger issue 1upt.

Concerning you are part of "everyone": I'm sorry to inform you that you only read half my sentence which actually confirms it.

sorry, didn't notice. yes, computation speed is an issue for me too. That's why I switched to strategic map. Next turn is part of the bigger issue unit pathing which is part of the next bigger issue 1upt.

Concerning you are part of "everyone": I'm sorry to inform you that you only read half my sentence which actually confirms it.

You mean the bit about 'some insight about what's good and what's not' and since I don't apparently have that my opinion doesn't count or the odd comment about the moon?

It's not a fact when you cherry pick the opinions of people you agree with and discount the opinions of those who don't - however, it is a great rant - so I'm more than happy to go with the flow.

Reminds me of some of the folks on the IV side of the forum who bite my head off whenever I poke my nose in there; they throw 'facts' my way and when I return a few in the spirit of debate they label them as opinions and then discount them.

You mean the bit about 'some insight about what's good and what's not' and since I don't apparently have that my opinion doesn't count or the odd comment about the moon?

It's not a fact when you cherry pick the opinions of people you agree with and discount the opinions of those who don't - however, it is a great rant - so I'm more than happy to go with the flow.

Reminds me of some of the folks on the IV side of the forum who bite my head off whenever I poke my nose in there; they throw 'facts' my way and when I return a few in the spirit of debate they label them as opinions and then discount them.

I'll let you figure that out alone. However, judging from your experiences elsewhere there does seem to be a red thread regarding the differences of your opinion and what's generally accepted to be "the" opinion

As i have no new rants I'll leave the discussion here, I wish everybody a good day and merry Xmas, see you ranting next year

Had to install Civ 5 for a family member today. It was a very good reminder why I despise Steam and avoid it like the plague. Ugh, what a nightmare.

Had to install Civ 5 for a family member today. It was a very good reminder why I despise Steam and avoid it like the plague. Ugh, what a nightmare.
Have to agree with you on that one - and requiring Steam is a negative. Round this time of year their servers get crazy busy which can affect getting into the game. I know you are supposed to be able to play offline but that is pretty spotty for me, works sometimes and not other times.

If your referring to the discission between yourself and TMIT Good Sir, you might want to clarify this statement.

1) No on actually bit your head off, as your apparently using it to formulate a response. Unless of course your a ghost in the machine, in which case we're all in trouble :)

2) TMIT gave you more than a "few facts", which are documented. OTH, you haven't provided any counter facts to anything TMIT has stated, so that is pretty much a strawman.

3) No one has actually discounted anything you've stated in that particular thread, but they have rebutted some blanket statements that you have made with facts, and if I remember correctly, TMIT even issued you a challenge to prove him wrong, and if you could he would apologise.

4) Just to be clear, you did present your statements as an opinion. So you might have expected some type of response, especially when presented in the CiV forum where some of the biggest names on these boards reside.

just my 2c.

If your referring to the discission between yourself and TMIT Good Sir, you might want to clarify this statement.

1) No on actually bit your head off, as your apparently using it to formulate a response. Unless of course your a ghost in the machine, in which case we're all in trouble :)

2) TMIT gave you more than a "few facts", which are documented. OTH, you haven't provided any counter facts to anything TMIT has stated, so that is pretty much a strawman.

3) No one has actually discounted anything you've stated in that particular thread, but they have rebutted some blanket statements that you have made with facts, and if I remember correctly, TMIT even issued you a challenge to prove him wrong, and if you could he would apologise.

4) Just to be clear, you did present your statements as an opinion. So you might have expected some type of response, especially when presented in the CiV forum where some of the biggest names on these boards reside.

just my 2c.
Yes - I am referring to that 'debate' over the UI - which is supposedly inferior on V as a matter of 'fact'.

When I presented facts, not opinion, that distinguished respondent dismissed them out of hand. Just one of them was the number of mouse clicks to queue production which he claims is 5-10 which is arrant nonsense. Then when I noted how intuitive the interface is he made the assertion that new players don't take advantage of easy to use features despite almost every review commenting on how great the UI is for new players.

So sorry, I will not retract my claim - every fact I presented was treated by the high and mighty on that part of the board as an opinion, every opinion they stated is treated as fact. I am also not impressed by 'big names' and post counts - there is an elitism around here which is cloying. I have around 45 years' experience playing board, table and computer games and have rarely come across this sort of thing within the hobby.

As an aside, I noticed your 'big name' and his clique often run down Civ IV supporters as much as they do Civ V fans - so at least they are equal opportunity roasters.

As an aside, I noticed your 'big name' and his clique often run down Civ IV supporters as much as they do Civ V fans - so at least they are equal opportunity roasters.

Knowing TMIT, I suspect that he was being critical of both Civ IV and Civ V as opposed to supporters of those games. Are you sure they weren't attacking the games' design as opposed to the games' supporters? TMIT has disagreed with me on a few occasions and I must agree that he was often right.

To everyone reading this thread:

Rants on Civ V, the game itself, are welcome here, but please try not to take things personally.

I do enjoy the artful way that many players express their rants here.

Sun Tzu Wu

David I should be the leader of the Celts since Scotland is pretty much the only remains of the six nations.

Hmm, when it says on the civ 5 case "A one time internet connection for authentication" they clearly thought only ppl with broadband would buy the game. I have spent the last night trying to update the stupid steam client, not any game updates, just the client so I can authenticate the friggin' game!

I in love 1UPT! And what's not to like about it? Imagine if two giant robots of death, I mean really really big robots of death, so big they fill an entire plot, what if the should fight together? They cant be on the same plot right? So, it makes perfect sense to move them around the plot. Okay I know real armies is not big giant robots, but tiny little soldiers and tiny little tanks thousands of them moving in one plot, its okay for them to mingle. But how is that realistic? Does real armies mingle? no they walk in lines to the sound of drums and fanfare not some mingle business, a good example is on the Discovery when they show off the Hitler armies. They walk millions of them in lines, they wont mingle with some of those other armies, and thats a fact because you can see they look alike, so if Hitler wanted more army units he would have to move them to the plot next to Berlin when he made some of those really big parades, because THERE SIMPLY WASNT ROOM. this made him have no other choice but to think tactical but he couldnt so good and thats how the end began for the Nazis. Again 1UPT makes perfect sense. You also saw this same principle of 1UPT in native villages all over the world, happening without relation to eachother, just in much smaller scale, when to many people(units) in same village some must move, else they cant be there same time. They move and perhaps make a small village somewhere else, but not beside the first, which also explains why you cant found next to another city and so forth. This is the kind of synergy Civ V brought us, but some just wont see it and is stuck in way of old just criticizing and yaddayaddayadda. Even when innovation breaths its cold breath in your face like 1UPT!!! yeah! you dont see it or just because you dont "like" it, you dismiss it with no facts at all. I mean Civ IV was ok, but only when Civ V came the real power of the computer was shown. Civ IV was just stacks stacks stacks of doom doom doom etc etc. I always was building large armies then attacked, it got so boring now I kill all with a few unit much more fun to kill all the time. Also you could cheat with the Worldbuilder, whatta funk, Civ IV endorse cheats? Good thing they got rid of that in Civ V no more cheats, why edit or change something that's perfect? and the smaller worlds for Civ V make for more compact and fun, which is a good thing which again pure fact.

If you do not agree with me on certain points please comment on every point I made and please make logical argumentation supported by facts and reason.

Top Bottom