Habits that make your game(s) non-optimum

Moderator Action: Please get back to the topic, which is Civ V Habits that slow you down.

I can't resist natural wonders, and good city spots in general, even in the late game. Right now it's turn 230 (standard) and I'm fighting Napoleon - well, crushing him - just so I can steal his spot next to Uluru which I was eyeing earlier but it was too far away. There are also some nice wine resources, horses, a river, etc. etc. I have to have it!

Another game I settled a new city around T200 because I was Spain and found the Great Barrier Reef. I'm not sure if it ended up contributing, but I had the natural wonder faith pantheon and I couldn't resist!

Still building new cities in late eras..

..and as a result not building too many National Wonders, because I just found a new city and still lacking for those buildings required for NW.

I am ashamed of this one:

Waiting until I have the "dominant" cultural status before DoWing an AI. It takes f o r e v e r.

Edit - One of my flaws is always trying to keep my first-born scout alive for the entire duration of the game. I'll pay people for open borders and even bring military units to clear barbs that have him trapped in an obscure peninsula in order to make sure that honorary scout of mine gets home to the capital.

Sounds like you need the Scouts Ignore Borders mod.

My reluctance to start a war without a good justification makes my games way longer than they should be.

I always try for the Great Library and try to build too many wonders in general. I also have this unfortunate habit of plopping my second city down while I am still building the National College.

Gotta have the Brandenburg gate so I can get three promotions instead of two.
Always build it in the coastal city with the highest production (or the only coastal city).
Spending the rest of the game only building units in that city.

I`m guilty of doing nice things:

For instance, trading more for less to a Leader because he`s been nice. Letting off a Faction from a destruction they deserve out of mercy, just to watch them rebuild and waste my time by attacking again and slowing me right down in a protracted war.

Being nicer to female Leaders even though I know they`re just AI and it makes not a shred of difference of what they think of me (like real life then).

Holding back from war just to keep the peace.

Not anally paying attention to stats and just doing what I `feel` is a good idea.

Oh and spending ages trying to get a wonder because it sounds `cool` even though it does almost nothing and just wastes time.

Am I the only one who thinks that all those slow-downers are exactly those features that put the fun into the game? :D

Word. Good point. I have beaten the game on high difficult settings, but if you do that, there's really only one path to follow (tech to NC, tech to xbows, etc.). It is the wondermongering perfectionistic and ridiculous habits that make me love the game. Good observation.

Word. Good point. I have beaten the game on high difficult settings, but if you do that, there's really only one path to follow (tech to NC, tech to xbows, etc.). It is the wondermongering perfectionistic and ridiculous habits that make me love the game. Good observation.

Yes. It's a game. I play it to enjoy it, not to finish as quickly as possible. I prefer not to think about victory conditions. I do like a little tension though, and I now play on immortal.

Yes. It's a game. I play it to enjoy it, not to finish as quickly as possible. I prefer not to think about victory conditions. I do like a little tension though, and I now play on immortal.

I don`t think of victory conditions at all. I play to survive. If I survive as the most happiest, rich and powerful Nation, great! If as just one or the other so be it. But my main job is not being wiped out by another faction!

If I do well, beating other nations, I just keep going and going until I get bored.

I don`t think of victory conditions at all. I play to survive. If I survive as the most happiest, rich and powerful Nation, great! If as just one or the other so be it. But my main job is not being wiped out by another faction!

I used to play like that but it can be a downer when you're happily turtling and suddenly the defeat screen comes up out of nowhere. Maybe I should just turn all VCs off but I worry about how that would affect how the AI plays. Generally if I get to the point where my civ is obviously completely unchallenged, I put the game away.

does being rubbish at playing any higher than settler count? i also cant resist trying to build everything/research everything rather than pick a victory type and angle everything towards it. and playing wait and see usually means AI is way ahead by the time i finally pick one i think is my last chance. and thats when i dont use mods...when i have IGE in play i usually cheat with some scouts right away, so i can build 3 or 4 more settlers while scouts do their thing. im having lots of fun that way but usually i get a cultural victory because i have a massive 8 or 9 city civ when everyone else has 4 and im so overloaded with military nobody dares attack me. simply through using IGE. and of course im not learning how to play chieftain level without mods to help me lol

Building too much GP production infrastructure (select wonders, NWs and buildings) in conquest games, therefore being late to build large armies. This prevents early conquests and ultimately delays victories, allowing AIs to start building spaceships.

Its a tough decision as whether to beeline and build GL, Oracle, an engineering wonder and NE, or build armories and HE and large early armies. Its hard to build PT without GL at emperor level, and without PT, you can fall behind in science.

I used to play like that but it can be a downer when you're happily turtling and suddenly the defeat screen comes up out of nowhere. Maybe I should just turn all VCs off but I worry about how that would affect how the AI plays. Generally if I get to the point where my civ is obviously completely unchallenged, I put the game away.

I don`t get a downer from the artificial `defeat` screen at all. I completely ignore it.

I see it this way, you aren`t defeated until your last city is wiped out. As long as your CIV is alive, you have not lost. I`ve played games where it says I`m defeated, and carried on to win, ie dominate the world.

I don`t get a downer from the artificial `defeat` screen at all. I completely ignore it.

I see it this way, you aren`t defeated until your last city is wiped out. As long as your CIV is alive, you have not lost. I`ve played games where it says I`m defeated, and carried on to win, ie dominate the world.

I always thought it would be cool to have a "score only, no victory" mode for Civ where you can do stuff like win the UN Vote, send spacecraft to Alpha Centauri, dominate the world culturally, but each victory condition you fulfil just gives you more points. Would be a lot "friendlier" (for want of a better term) than "Babylon has a lot of science YOU LOSE".

I have a complex about it that maybe I should get over. My feeling was that it was lame to want to keep playing after you had lost.

1. If a NW is close enough, I will try to settle it and forget the lands around it not being that good.

2. I forget that I put my cities on production focus, and get carried away by fast building, then my cities aren't as populated suddenly...

Top Bottom