Sweden: Can't gift GP to CS for influence bonus.

I am about half way through the game and I can't seem to gift my prophet to a CS and the prophet glows when I select give gift. but it doesn't disappear. I waited 3 turns as I've read posts on waiting 3 turn for influence to take affect.

I even tried placing the prophet in the CS with same failure.

Is there something I need to do to trigger the ability?

-=Mark=-

It only works from the CS diplo screen. Select the GP, then go to the CS and select Give a Gift and then Gift a Unit. The GP's hex should be surrounded by a yellow highlighting. If you then click the GP, a dialog box should pop up asking you to confirm the gift.

If that is not what is happening for you, please post a save file and/or screenshots.

You can spread religion 3 times, then you can gift the unit usign the "Gift unit" command when at the city state screen. From then it'll take... I think 3 turns and you'll get the influence.

I figured it out. I'm playing on a laptop and I don't seem to get a cursor and when I click on the prophet nothing happens. so it seems the touchscreen doesn't recognize it as a gift icon.

Any other touch screen users have this problem?

I also can't use the help menu with the touchscreen. When I select the search box I don't get the keyboard. Maybe I'll try to play in windowed mode to see if that helps any next time I play.

Thanks for everyone's replies.
-=Mark=-

okay, now I can't gift great merchant to take city state like I already did earlier.

Can you only do this once, or some other trigger?

I noticed the city state wasn't under my religion, so I purchased a great prophet and changed it to my religion with out taking control of the cs.

I even waited another turn and another spread religion without success in turning the cs.

Any ideas?

I'm confused about what you are trying to do. You refer interchangeably to"taking control" of a CS and "turning" a CS. Sweden gifting a great person to a CS for influence has nothing to do with the CS's religion or acquiring the CS. Are you confusing a regular Great Merchant with a Great Merchant of Venice?

I'm confused about what you are trying to do. You refer interchangeably to"taking control" of a CS and "turning" a CS. Sweden gifting a great person to a CS for influence has nothing to do with the CS's religion or acquiring the CS. Are you confusing a regular Great Merchant with a Great Merchant of Venice?

I am trying to buy the CS with my sweden ability. I thought it was just a great merchant. Didn't know I needed a special merchant.

How do I acquire a Great merchant of Venice? If that is what I need. I just purchased a great merchant with my faith points to buy the CS.

MJ, you did not answer Browd’s most recent query.

Can you only do this once, or some other trigger?

No, you can do this once for each GP.

I noticed the city state wasn't under my religion, so I purchased a great prophet and changed it to my religion with out taking control of the cs.

I am trying to buy the CS with my sweden ability. I thought it was just a great merchant. Didn't know I needed a special merchant.

Are you now having trouble now with GPr or GMe or both? You can gift a regular GMe.

How do I acquire a Great merchant of Venice? If that is what I need. I just purchased a great merchant with my faith points to buy the CS.

Sweden has no ability to "buy" a CS. You can get influence and ally the CS by gifting Great Persons, but the CS remains independent.

If you are not playing as Venice (obviously, you are playing as Sweden), the only way to get a Great Merchant of Venice is to complete the Patronage policy tree and hope that a CS gifts you a Great Merchant of Venice. But whether you get one is random; you may well go the entire game without getting one. Pretty much a waste of social policies if you are not otherwise planning on taking all of Patronage.

Sweden has no ability to "buy" a CS. You can get influence and ally the CS by gifting Great Persons, but the CS remains independent.

If you are not playing as Venice (obviously, you are playing as Sweden), the only way to get a Great Merchant of Venice is to complete the Patronage policy tree and hope that a CS gifts you a Great Merchant of Venice. But whether you get one is random; you may well go the entire game without getting one. Pretty much a waste of social policies if you are not otherwise planning on taking all of Patronage.

Okay, so I need a, "Merchant of Venice" to take control of a CS? I can only get one by random since I'm not playing as Venice?

Because I was able to take control of a CS with my merchant. I was going to gift it and seen the ability to buy the city state, so I chase that and it gave me control of it.

I assumed it worked with any great merchant as I didn't notice I had a special great merchant.

Do all great people come with a special version with special abilities? I never noticed before. I thought all merchants were the same.

I guess I'll have to read up on them more.

Yep, just random chance and only from the Patronage finisher.

The only other unique Great Person I can think of is a Khan (Mongolian Great General replacement - moves at the same rate as the Keshik (5 movement points per turn) and can heal adjacent units for an additional 15 HP per turn).

Okay, I got another great merchant that will buy a city state. It is Niccolo De Conti. I remember he was the last great merchant I has as well. at least I remember having him before.

I think he may have been a gift? I received him on my warmongering continent.

I almost gifted him for influence, until I noticed one of his icons looked different. Sure enough, this time I had a buy city state option.

Any GP you did not actively faith-purchase is a gift from CS for finishing out patronage.

For Sweden, I think that regular GMe are better used conventionally.
30 influence plus influence from the gold you get is > 90 influence (at least most of the time).

Also, you will not get a MoV (or Khan) from patronage finisher if Venice (or Mongolia) is in your game. This is similar to how militaristic CS never have UU from civs in the game.

Also, you will not get a MoV (or Khan) from patronage finisher if Venice (or Mongolia) is in your game. This is similar to how militaristic CS never have UU from civs in the game.

Actually, I just played a game as the Celts with Venice as an AI in the game, completed Patronage and sure enough, I received a Merchant of Venice as a gift, so the MoV (and I'd have to assume Khan) don't work the same way a militaristic CS unique unit works.

Top Bottom