Great Musicians and their tour management

I generally avoid granting open borders due to the tourism as well as generally being overrun by a wandering AIs peaceful army. Do you find its a problem to grant open borders (betrayal, etc.) or am I just wasting 2 - 5 gpt on each civ?

If you are making a lot more culture and tourism per turn than the ai then it is worth it to pay for the open borders. If the ai makes more culture or tourism than you it is not because if you ask for more than open borders the AI will usually not pay for open borders.

Are you seeking a cultural victory?
If not, generally keep the borders closed.

If so, your tourism & culture should be so high that their tourism over you won't matter at all. In this case a one way open borders for a friendly AI wastes GPT compared to shared open borders. The one way open borders though would benefit you if they have valued your open borders being opened at 0 GPT, which often happens if they aren't friendly.

Numbers all add up like I said. Everything's right on the money, sadly and the Quick modifier is indeed applied twice. Someone at Firaxis is bad at maths.

Also, I am North Korea to other players because I just don't feel comfortable having knights, pikes, XBs all march around my land. For just 2 gpt, my citizens can sleep peacefully :)

Interesting update:

I took it upon myself to experiment a rather gimped* Brazil experience on Deity/Standard8civ/Continents/Epic settings and it definitely verifies what is an obvious programming error: The speed modifier for Great Musician tour is indeed applied twice, his strength is 10 x 1.5 times the tourism in which he was created and his tour yield is 1.5 times his strength.

*bad jungle start means seriously low production and not-so-high growth and that's practically no chance of getting any mid-game wonders. I timed International Games, National Visitor Center, Airports and my very own Carnival while having to stop at museums, Hermitage and Oxford :)

I took it upon myself to experiment a rather gimped* Brazil experience on Deity/Standard8civ/Continents/Epic settings and it definitely verifies what is an obvious programming error: The speed modifier for Great Musician tour is indeed applied twice, his strength is 10 x 1.5 times the tourism in which he was created and his tour yield is 1.5 times his strength.

Replicated and confirmed using IGE.

Well I guess I'm glad I was finally taken seriously, even though it took 20 odd posts

Top Bottom