Planetfall

I'm not great with models or anything, but I'm going to have a shot at making some icons.

The specifics may differ though IMO. Whether or not there's a building called Quantum Converter or Children's Creche I find completely irrelevant. Is SMAC no longer SMAC because it doesn't have a Quantum Converter? :confused: And regarding the Hatchery, personally I imagine that as fitting image for Yang's society for instance. It fits in the film noir feeling of SMAC. (Though for the record I plan to rename the Hatchery back to Children's Creche.)

With the UB code, maybe you could make Yang's Children's Creche a Hatchery, boost the growth bonus but halve the morale bonus? It seems like Yang would do that.

I hope there'll be UBs eventually. No biggie if there isn't. Maybe buildings which have bonuses only active under certain civics?

Or have the 'Hatchery' for the Uni, Yang, Morgan and maybe Gaia, and the Creche for the other 3? They could have the exact same gameplay.

Would it be possible to have more ways to raise planet health early? I seem to hit the limit very quickly. Also it does not appear that the strength raising promotions (that are automatically added when you research the tech) work- they alter the cost of units appropriately, but they don't show up in combat calculations. Otherwise great mod! Amazing for not being final.

Looks like it is impossible to download, I think the dl limit on Rapidshare has been reached.

Hmm, I succesfully tried to download it just now. :confused:

The_Reckoning and others, will reply to you in a later post!

maybe you are a paying member, it says the free download limit has been reached...

edit: ok I tried again now and it works, maybe there's a limit for each day ?

This mod should be a sticky. Once you get all the bugs ironed out, I think this will be the best mod ever created for BtS.

SMAC reborn...

... hell yeah.

Would it be possible to have more ways to raise planet health early? I seem to hit the limit very quickly.

Currently three early ways to raise Planet IIRC:
1) have xenofungus within your base radius (so just don't remove it if it isn't causing too much health problems)
2) build a biology lab
3) connect a monolith resource

I hope to let bases start with some initial Planet in the future (just like you have a starting health and happiness value) so fungal blooms will occur somewhat later.
Other ideas/plans:
1) Add a civic which gives extra Planet in your bases
2) Biggest cause of raising the Planet value currently is population size. So perhaps each pop could give less than -1 Planet. That would break the simple system of each population point "requiring" 1 happiness, 1 health and 1 planet.
So 3) alternative could be the recycling tanks for instance halving the negative planet caused by population

OK, here's an attempt at a former icon:
Spoiler :

Change the style or more like this?

We like it. :D It should confirm to certain requirements though to be useable in civ4.

It should be a 64x64 resolution dds file using I believe DXT3.

There is also some requirement regarding the mipmaps. Eg the buttons posted by psychic_lamas look like this when using the "low resolution textures" graphic option:

This blurriness problem also existed before in FfH, so I asked Kael how he solved it. His reply:

Ahh yes, that was forever ago. If I remember correctly the problem was that I was saving the buttons with the "generate mipmap" options that I used with skin textures.

Mipmaps are the picture scaled to different resolutions and then the engine decides which resultion to use depending on the draw distance. Very nice for unit skins where you dont want to waste time and memory on a unit way way off in the distance, but the engine does a horrible job of picking a texture to use with buttons. It picks this really low res one that results in the blurry appearance.

I believe thats it, if that doesnt fix it for you let me know and I'll get you the exact settings I use to save button in photoshop.

Do you know what he means, or should I ask for his saving settings?

:confused: i have no idea what that means :lol:

but im confused, why does the button not work in game? ive made hundreds of buttons and never once had that issue before with any of them...

i think ask him to put that into noob friendly language :p

but im confused, why does the button not work in game? ive made hundreds of buttons and never once had that issue before with any of them...

I assume you have never played with the "low resolution textures" graphics option. When you use normal resolution textures, the button looks just fine.

I decided to do a similar style, but I filtered in some scanlines, which I thought would fit. I had to actually place the units in the game with an editor so they don't get that 'falling over' angle like they do in the workshop's display. I found the tools to convert them, these are 64*64 pixels, just need to use that free app. I think what I'll do is screenshot the units en masse if this is better, then make all the icons in as few gos as possible.

Spoiler :

Prefer these over the other?

The_Reckoning, I suggest you leave out the scanlines. A similar effect can be added via the .dds alpha channel.

I am impressed with the progress that is being made on this!

Are there plans to import the ambient sound files from SMAC? Especially that spooky new-age-ish soundtrack...it really helped set the mood for me.

And I don't have a lot of time for modding, but I'd be glad to help out with voice-overs if you're going to include any and can't re-use the existing SMAC stuff for copyright reasons. (See the link to my NextWar mod for a sample.)

We talked about the sound and our thinking at this point is simply to provide instructions (in the readme) for how to copy your SMAC sound files to the proper place for Planetfall to make use of them. This will allow people who own a legal copy of SMAC/X to have the copyrighted music and sound files (e.g., mindworm combat) without either you or us doing a trade infringement.

Wodan

those are really nice Reckoning. just a tip though: those boarders wont show up in game becasue you need to add in the Civ4 boarder and alpha channel to make them look right. you could always change the Civ4 boarders from grey to yellow/red etc

Also it does not appear that the strength raising promotions (that are automatically added when you research the tech) work- they alter the cost of units appropriately, but they don't show up in combat calculations. Otherwise great mod! Amazing for not being final.

That sucks. I seem to remember they worked before. :hmm: Anyway, Ellestar is rewriting the unit-related code in the SDK, so hopefully we'll have something functioning in version 3.

those are really nice Reckoning. just a tip though: those boarders wont show up in game becasue you need to add in the Civ4 boarder and alpha channel to make them look right. you could always change the Civ4 boarders from grey to yellow/red etc

Yeah that's right. I assume Rubin will get back to you (The_Reckoning) regarding these buttons.

ah, no i havent... when we decipher Kaels message ill be happy to fix those buttons, and we need new terrain ones too now :D

His settings:
No mip maps, DXT3 ARGB (Explicit Alpha), 2D texture, Sharpening Settings -> Sharpen Soft.

This little DDS Converter program I have on my computer doesn't seem to have options for 2D texture or sharpening settings though. :hmm: So perhaps this is only possible with Photoshop. An option then could be to provide buttons in another (not jpg) format, and perhaps Wodan (who has Photoshop too) could convert them to DDS.

Top Bottom