Is Tourism useless if you don't go for Cultural victory

feldmarshall

Dictator
I find cultural victory one of the hardest to get. If you don't deliberately plan for it (e.g. build the appropriate wonder, etc) you won't probably get it. So if I never plan on it, does it mean that Tourism is completely useless?

No. Tourism is helpful as part of your defense against ideological influence from other civs. For example, let's say you go Autocracy, with the goal of rolling the map for a domination victory. 2 of the other civs go Freedom and 5 go Order -- and 3 of those Order civs are pumping tourism like mad, and are already Popular versus you. They also pass Order as the World Ideology. If you ahve neglected your tourism, such that you are Unknown to the other civs (Unknown from an Ideological pressure standpoint), then you will find your citizens unhappiness skyrocketing, from Discontent straight to Revolutionary Wave, potentially forcing you to change Ideologies and/or losing cities that flip to other civs.

If, however, you pump enough culture to keep them stuck at Popular and churn out enough Touorism to get Exotic and then Popular on them, your ideological unhappiness will fall significantly and you can roll the map with confidence.

You generally want to reach Exotic over everyone else when NOT seeking cultural victory simply to avoid tourism unhappiness as its a whole lot easier for your tourism to reach 10% of his culture than to keep your culture more than 10 times that of his tourism.

It's generally best to keep your borders closed when you aren't seeking cultural victory.

Also with Autocracy you can ignore generating any tourism until after you have an ideology. Then with futurism you spawn your great writers, artists and musicians. At 250 tourism per GWAM spawned you can quickly make up for lost time and get to exotic status.

You can even go hard for archaeological sites and go for a culture win. It helps to use your autocracy army to burn down a culture leader or two and loot their stuff while enlisting the help of the rest of the world for the stacking +50% tourism boost for cult of personality from each war, get two wars going and you get +100% tourism.

This works up to Immortal, I have not tried on Deity with this approach.

No. Tourism is helpful as part of your defense against ideological influence from other civs. For example, let's say you go Autocracy, with the goal of rolling the map for a domination victory. 2 of the other civs go Freedom and 5 go Order -- and 3 of those Order civs are pumping tourism like mad, and are already Popular versus you. They also pass Order as the World Ideology. If you ahve neglected your tourism, such that you are Unknown to the other civs (Unknown from an Ideological pressure standpoint), then you will find your citizens unhappiness skyrocketing, from Discontent straight to Revolutionary Wave, potentially forcing you to change Ideologies and/or losing cities that flip to other civs.

If, however, you pump enough culture to keep them stuck at Popular and churn out enough Touorism to get Exotic and then Popular on them, your ideological unhappiness will fall significantly and you can roll the map with confidence.

Wow, and there`s me almost totally ignoring tourism. that`s a lot deeper than I expected from that mechanic, and does reflect reality somewhat. I will pay more attention to tourism now.

Didn't see that anyone had mentioned this:

For every level of tourism you gain over another civ, you get a bonus when capping that civs cities. Your influence reduces the amount of time the city is in resistance, keeps more of the population, and keeps more of the buildings when you take over the city. Even in domination tourism levels can help out as you march across the earth.

Specifically, the following bonuses apply:
  • For civs you are Familiar (30%) with, unrest and population loss through conquest is reduced 25%.
  • For civs you are Popular (60%) with, unrest and population loss through conquest is reduced 50%.
  • For civs you are Influential (100%) with, unrest and population loss through conquest is reduced 75%.
  • For civs you are Dominant (200%) with, unrest and population loss through conquest is eliminated.

Specifically, the following bonuses apply:
  • For civs you are Familiar (30%) with, unrest and population loss through conquest is reduced 25%.
  • For civs you are Popular (60%) with, unrest and population loss through conquest is reduced 50%.
  • For civs you are Influential (100%) with, unrest and population loss through conquest is reduced 75%.
  • For civs you are Dominant (200%) with, unrest and population loss through conquest is eliminated.

Wel, I`m starting a new game and will keep all this in mind. Had no idea, folks.

I wonder if they`ll ever make a Civ 5 manual one day, like with Civ 4?

Happy New Year All! May your futures be bright and your games full of might!

There's the Civilopedia, right?

I`d like a manual, you know that thing with leaves? I want to hold it in my hand while I play the game.

Yea, I`m old fashioned.

No, it`s not a tree.

It technically IS a tree if you think about it... just saying xD

However even the Civilopedia is actually useless, so I don't blame people for not using it.

There is a Civ V manual in PDF. There's a sticky on this board about it, but I couldn't get the link to work.

You would have to print it out if you want to hold it in your hand, though.

There is a Civ V manual in PDF. There's a sticky on this board about it, but I couldn't get the link to work.

You would have to print it out if you want to hold it in your hand, though.

It's generally best for PDFs to right click - save as instead of clicking directly to eliminate bugs in the browser plugin as a possibility as to why its not working.

Note that the BNW manual hasn't been updated for any patch that came out after BNW release.

Another thing to consider is when you are dominant your spies operate 2 levels above what they currently are when attempting a coup. This makes couping Cs very easy. Also the 'establishing surveillance' times are shorter.

Tourism is the most useful thing in cultural victory in bnw. Tourism is the offense that influences other civilizations while the vanilla culture is the defense that the tourism from other cultures have to match up with to influence your civilization. The more the culture and tourism for culture victory the better.

you also get +1 beaker per trade route, per level of influence you have over the trade route target's civilization... as well as for incoming routes.

There's also the fact that most things that grant tourism also grant culture, so it's both an offense and a defense.

However, when you're speedrunning the tech tree, it is very easy to neglect culture/tourism. That however, if you're a peaceful tall turtle, only affects your choice of ideology, which is hardly a bad thing, because if you're gunning for a science win, Freedom and Order both work just fine

Top Bottom