Napoleon +2 culture in each city

Swansons

Chieftain
Does Napoleon's +2 culture get added if France has a puppet city?

I am assuming no? Seems to me this would be ridiculously overpowered.

Does Napoleon's +2 culture get added if France has a puppet city?

I am assuming no? Seems to me this would be ridiculously overpowered.

How would it be? Taking cities is going to reduce your happiness. How many cities are you expecting to conquer? In the early game you're going to be strangled on happiness which limits your conquest. And in the late game culture becomes less and less of a factor.

I'm going to assume it does give you it in the vanilla version. Although I don't know about this.

Well, remember that each extra city - including puppeted ones - actually increases the cost of each social policy.

Now I am confused.

I thought the whole purpose of puppeting cities was because they did not increase culture costs like a new city would. Puppet cities do have unhappiness, but significanty less than captured cities. I can rack them up and walk a fine line of happiness if I drill out some happy buildings.

Or was this a change from vanilla to g&k? I probably should pay more attention to these types of changes but for the most part I just spam wonders with Ramesses. (this should also explain my nonchalance towards happiness with those burial tombs everywhere)
:egypt:

Well, remember that each extra city - including puppeted ones - actually increases the cost of each social policy.

This is wrong. Puppets don't increase social policy cost.
You may be thinking of science costs, but that's only BNW and this thread is marked as G&K.

Tested using IGE. France does get the Ancien Régime bonus from puppet cities but is reduced by 25% (which effectively just gives 1 culture per turn without any other culture buildings). Annexing cities gets the full bonus.

Screenshot of puppeted Rome

Thanks for the responses.

Without any testing, that seems like a good way to address that. +2 culture prior to any buildings really could add up quickly when your puppets aren't raising culture costs. Cutting it down keeps it reasonable while still giving France an interesting perk.

If you are going for something other than culture, it is a minor consideration. If you're going for the culture victory, this is definitely a factor. I think I will give a puppet empire with France a run.

Top Bottom