Best players?

Best Current MP guys

Tommynt (as always)
Alienware
Taz
Hitman

I've also seen a couple of NQ guys seem to be getting up there, but can't think of names at the moment.

Taz? Played this guy(edit: for the first time) into this game :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3-MP1lWx8c

But he got beat :D

Of course, with better coop they could stop anyone including me. NQ Pazuzu is a hell of a player too. I can also add NQ virus.

Of course, with better coop they could stop anyone including me. NQ Pazuzu is a hell of a player too. I can also add NQ virus.

Taz is improving quickly, but he has several Achilles heel right now, so some players will not have seen him at his best. Hitman is Fredodo with a new look.

Here is a psychological aspect of the game - understanding where the fine line is between getting what you want and getting other players mad at you. When it comes to settling cities, you might have 7 ideal city spots located, but if you settle all 7, you destine yourself with war between several players. Because war is so costly, and you might even lose, compromises must be made on how great the city spot is vs how likely that city spot will bog you down in war. This is why so many of those NQ games might look "noobish" when some players stop at 4 cities - the guy who makes 7 cities often ends up encroaching on other players, and he gets double or triple teamed. I need at least 4 good cities, and I will even go to war to make that happen (otherwise I can't win.) Then I try to get a few more cities in, without causing conflict. If you are lucky enough to get 7 cities in safely, then you will have a dominating lead, which of course will lead to being double teamed later... but at that point your hammers and tech should keep you protected enough to slingshot your target later game unit rush and then begin conquering (or putting space ship parts up.)

Hi everyone.

I've seen lots of Maddjinn's and Moriates videos on youtube, and have learned a lot from them both. Especially regarding foriegn affaris; diplomacy, bribing, worker stealing and warfare. And that you can play and win a game with a bad start. (Which I hate myself...:mad:) I love things to shine and super-snowball. But these guys just play the hand that there are delt - and win almost all the time on deity. Well done indeed. Though I must say none of them are super-micromanagers in terms of city management and trading/maximaxing selling ressources and such. I catch myself screaming at the screen: "sell the copper, buy the worker, mine the gold, sell the gold, buy the settler, mind the second gold... come on-come on, now now please." But at the same time I can honestly say, that I could never do half as well as them overall, if I had to comment the whole thing in the fluent and smooth kind of way that they do. So again, hats of to them :)

:confused: A question: :confused:
I would love to learn from tommynt's videos. Where can I find a SP Deity video from him? All I can find on youtube is MP and below-deity SP viedeos. (They must be below deity, since the ai score doesnt rocket from rd1 I rationalize)

Unfortunately tommy never posted a full deity game under BNW yet. And don't ask me to make one, the sp thing is not my cup of tea. There are better players around.

But, like in mp, you have to play whatever the map you get and work on it. If you stay away from wonders early on, and concentrate on AI deals(maybe combined with safe city location approach, war dodging, etc) then the map is much less relevant.

recorded the Arab gotm - its a 126t deity conquest win.

But atm my PC is trash ... cant upload stuff

Okay thanks, what GOTM number is that?
(Have clicked on quit a few now..)

Another Q, Tommy: What would you says that is your strength as a civ SP player? I mean can you pinpoint something spicific that you find to be a point where you stand out from other skilled civ players?

FYI: I've played SP civ since civ II. Never MP, mostly cause its hard to find the nessecary time. Now a days I play at deity and have won some and lost some. Immortal is boring. I'm (maybe to) focused on micromanagement and making things fit togheter. Efficiency is my middlename, also irl. This sometimes stand in the way of adopting to the flow of the game I know.
An other big problem of mine is that I want to do everything.:crazyeye: Culture/tourism/wonders/gold/Science/just neeed to settle on these sweet sweet cityspots/want to kill'em all and want frinds to trade with... and so on. I am fighting this urge to do to much at once, but its there non the less:mischief:

Actually thought taz was better but he gives up too easy under pressure i've found lately.

Actually thought taz was better but he gives up too easy under pressure i've found lately

taz makes a very good teammate as he can actually listen to advice
a thing where many others fail horribly

taz makes a very good teammate as he can actually listen to advice
a thing where many others fail horribly

On MP teamers there is a human "Great General" effect... when some players are teamed with people they consider great, they play 15% better.

So-and-so also has had the "Evil Spirits" promotion of Kris swordsman lately... 10% penalty on attacking, 30% penalty on defending...

...there is also the "Maori Warrior Haka War Dance" effect - like in the semipro Murk games, the semipros facing Murk play 10% worse.

That actually is part of it for me, I would rather go play an RTS if the game is going to try and mimic one and test my APM :p
Exactly. The whole point of playing Civ for me is that I can sit back, relax, and enjoy the game. I can take a break and watch something else on the other screen. If I want a fast-paced game, I am going to play some online multiplayer battle arena like DotA 2, LoL, etc. as intensely mechanical, fast-paced, and interactive games. Civ just never seemed that type of game for me personally.

Exactly. The whole point of playing Civ for me is that I can sit back, relax, and enjoy the game. I can take a break and watch something else on the other screen. If I want a fast-paced game, I am going to play some online multiplayer battle arena like DotA 2, LoL, etc. as intensely mechanical, fast-paced, and interactive games. Civ just never seemed that type of game for me personally.

I feel more ''relax'' these days so i play more sp games and check tv and stuff like you said...but, like everytime i go back sp again, i'm still annoyed how playing the AI makes these games much less entertaining for your intelligence level.

Problem in mp is that as soon as a war is occuring and you aren't involved the turns can take time and you might feel asleep over time. But in my case, i take this time to micromanage my civ.

If you don't like to micromanage and want to ''surf'' a game instead of competitively play it, then i can understand people saying that it is ''boring'' or something.

Without mp i would have stopped playing civ5 a long time ago.

I micromanage because I find it fun, and it helps optimize win times a lot. By relaxing I meant that it's a turn based game against AI's, and you can finish the turn any time you want.

I was just playing League of Legends, and a teammate gave me props for being a civ fan, since my name there is a reference to this game -- just like my name here is a reference to LoL. Now, in that other game, you get an intense but short match with and against human player which requires a lot of clicking, fast decision-making, and dealing with people. :p And when I feel exhausted from that, I take breaks playing civ, though waiting for next turn bores me to death sometimes. Hencewhy I am watching something unimportant simultaneously.

Top Bottom