Domination/Science Victory Help

DaebakJoo

Chieftain
Hey there, I just recently bought Civilization 5 and after a good 5 hours of playing, I understand most of the game mechanics I think. Only problem is that I was just playing around with the Tech, Build, and Policy which i'm not too sure of. What i'm asking is a Tech, Build, + Policy guide on any civilization for a domination or science victory and the difficulty would be around 3~6, map would be like pangea or any map really. I would like it in a format of Tech: Pottery > Science > etc. the same with the other two!

Thanks so much!

My preferred civilziation is Korea though :p

Policies, tech, and build order really depend on the situation like the land around you, your civ, how close your neighbors are, your neighbors civs, etc. As a very rough guide to get you started (customize it how you want as you get more experience):

Social Policies:
For science and domination
Tradition Opener>Legalism>Landed Elite>Monarchy>Rest of tradition

After tradition you tend to have 2-3 policies before you get to the renaissance and you can put them in whatever you want. For science I like to go down the left side of patronage. For domination the left of of honor.

At the renaissance for both science and domination start filling out rationalism until you get your ideology. Then pick from either rationalism or ideology depending on what you think will help you the most.

Tech:
For Science:
Pottery>techs needed for luxuries>Writing>Calendar(if you don't already have it)>Philosophy. After that its a bunch of beelines to the key tech you need. Usually it goes Education>Currency>Banking>Scientific Theory>Plastics>Satellites>Rest of techs needed for spacehip parts.

For domination:
Basically the science tech tree until you decided you want to go kill stuff. Then you beeline for the appropriate military tech, make your uber units and go killing. Key military techs include Construction, Machinery, Dynamite, Flight, Rocketry, and Nuclear Fusion

Build Order:
For Science and Domination
Capital
Usually a scout or two>Granary>Shrine>SettlerX2>Library>Oracle>National College
Satellite Cities
Library>Granary>Shrine>Caravans/Cargo ships

Steal workers from the AI. If you cant steal then you need to hard build them or just buy them with gold. A good number of workers is 1 per city. Buy an additional settler so you have 3 settlers (2 hard build 1 bought). Buy libraries with gold if you can, preferably in satellite cities with little early production. Somewhere in there add 4 archers and a spearman so you can defend yourself from barbarians and any other aggressive civs

After that for science focus on Science Buildings>Growth Buildings>Happiness as needed>Gold>Culture>Military.
For domination use the same focus as science until you want to kill stuff, then focus on Military>Happiness>Gold>Science>Growth>Culture.

Policies, tech, and build order really depend on the situation like the land around you, your civ, how close your neighbors are, your neighbors civs, etc. As a very rough guide to get you started (customize it how you want as you get more experience):

Social Policies:
For science and domination
Tradition Opener>Legalism>Landed Elite>Monarchy>Rest of tradition

After tradition you tend to have 2-3 policies before you get to the renaissance and you can put them in whatever you want. For science I like to go down the left side of patronage. For domination the left of of honor.

At the renaissance for both science and domination start filling out rationalism until you get your ideology. Then pick from either rationalism or ideology depending on what you think will help you the most.

Tech:
For Science:
Pottery>techs needed for luxuries>Writing>Calendar(if you don't already have it)>Philosophy. After that its a bunch of beelines to the key tech you need. Usually it goes Education>Currency>Banking>Scientific Theory>Plastics>Satellites>Rest of techs needed for spacehip parts.

For domination:
Basically the science tech tree until you decided you want to go kill stuff. Then you beeline for the appropriate military tech, make your uber units and go killing. Key military techs include Construction, Machinery, Dynamite, Flight, Rocketry, and Nuclear Fusion

Build Order:
For Science and Domination
Capital
Usually a scout or two>Granary>Shrine>SettlerX2>Library>Oracle>National College
Satellite Cities
Library>Granary>Shrine>Caravans/Cargo ships

Steal workers from the AI. If you cant steal then you need to hard build them or just buy them with gold. A good number of workers is 1 per city. Buy an additional settler so you have 3 settlers (2 hard build 1 bought). Buy libraries with gold if you can, preferably in satellite cities with little early production. Somewhere in there add 4 archers and a spearman so you can defend yourself from barbarians and any other aggressive civs

After that for science focus on Science Buildings>Growth Buildings>Happiness as needed>Gold>Culture>Military.
For domination use the same focus as science until you want to kill stuff, then focus on Military>Happiness>Gold>Science>Growth>Culture.

Wow! Thanks for the amazing response!

I'm just wondering when I should start expanding like when is the best time to build new cities.

Mine is:

Science is King; so start exactly like you were aiming for space ship.
Continue this until you have a tech lead.

Pre build Frigates as the first ranged naval unit. (Also something you should do for any victory; for defense purposes). The difference for war mongling is you'll want a few more.

In your designated coastal military unit city build an Armory, optionally the HE, and a miminum of 4 Privateers. Use the 30 XP to start with Coastal Raider III.

Use the above naval force to capture all coastal cities. If there's capitals that are inland, then while your navy is securing the seas build an army.

Upgrade the navy to Battleships & Destroyers when you can.

Wow! Thanks for the amazing response!

I'm just wondering when I should start expanding like when is the best time to build new cities.

If you use my build order, you should build settlers after your first 2 scouts, granary and shrine. By that time your capitol should have a pop of 4 or 5 which is enough to get settlers out in a reasonable number of turns. I like to have 4 cities up with libraries before I start the national college, although sometimes the terrain just doesn't allow for 4 good city spots so sometimes I just deal with having less cities.

If you use my build order, you should build settlers after your first 2 scouts, granary and shrine. By that time your capitol should have a pop of 4 or 5 which is enough to get settlers out in a reasonable number of turns. I like to have 4 cities up with libraries before I start the national college, although sometimes the terrain just doesn't allow for 4 good city spots so sometimes I just deal with having less cities.

How about the monument, should I build it?

I usually don't. If you get legalism as your 2nd social policy you get a free monument in your first 4 cities, and that 2nd policy comes fairly quickly especially if you get a culture ruin.

I usually don't. If you get legalism as your 2nd social policy you get a free monument in your first 4 cities, and that 2nd policy comes fairly quickly especially if you get a culture ruin.

Alternatively, you can build monuments in your first 4 cities to get quicker culture, and get free Amphitheaters will the policy.

If you don't get a ruin, that first policy comes very slowly if you don't build a monument.

Actually, after playing a few games, i'm more interested in a science victory. Could I win a science victory with only one city as playing Korea?

What happens if any of the civ's start War with me? What or when should I build military units? Should I even? o.o this is for scientific victory question~

If the AI DOWs you, you need to be in a position to defend. Even if you are pursuing a space victory, you need military units, for defense (and for opportunistic offense).

Top Bottom