My grand deity fail

adcarrymaokai

Emperor
So after playing on Immortal and comfortably winning under 300 turns, I decided to turn to deity. I thought, I would pick an easy civ like Korea and turtle my way to science victory -- after all, I did not have much time or enough skill to pursue anything else on this level, and I wanted my first deity game to be not too difficult.

I picked a large map with 2 fewer AI's because I did not want to get into territorial disputes and wars with AI's -- I simply did not have time for that. I got a nice start, explored a lot, got 3 pop ruins, 2 faith CS's right off the bat and founded a pantheon around t-12. I could not steal workers because my every neighbor asked for a DoF quickly, but other than that things were going my way. Aggressively chopped NC before t-80 and quickly chopped Oracle right after. Science caravans rush-bought asap, cargo ships for internal food routes. Education around t-100, first university around t-110. My capital is size 24 at turn 150.

I thought I had this game. And then.... France decided to attack the Dutch, became the enemy of the entire world, and a world war against France began. The Ottomans AI, as I noticed, has a tendency to settle every bit of land, and being France's neighbor, not only did they have their settled territories, but city by city, they conquered the entire France and occupied a third of the continent. On t-140, Suleiman entered Industrial Era, and on t-154, he adopted an Ideology. On t-200, I was the first civ to buy his blue jeans -- which had never ever happened to me in games. On turn 210, Arabia casually sent their Great Prophet and converted my Holy City which removed my pantheon.

I thought to myself: ok, I can do this. Around t-230, I entered a second natural golden age and burnt 3 GA's to get a 30+ turns golden age. Then I saw that even with a factory, it would take me 29 turns to produce the Stasis Chamber in my most productive expo -- you know, those plains cities do not exactly have the highest production -- and by t-230, Suleiman had already added 3 parts to his spaceship. My culture was pitiful with only monuments from Tradition, occasional amphitheaters, and some guilds. My production sucked (most of the game I was pretty much building and chopping science buildings). Meanwhile Suleiman was 10 techs and 35 cities ahead. It was time to retire.

Still not sure if that's how a typical deity game is or I just happened to witness a great AI runaway. Also, that rude conversion of my holy city. What a douche.

You asked for it when you increased the land size and decreased the number of opponents with the idea of turtling.

Why not try the same again on standard/standard. it should work better for you.

I know. I think I was just overwhelmed by an AI finishing a spaceship by ~t-250. People here say that the AI struggles to win pre-300. :p

But I think I will give this game another try. Ignore religion, micromanage more, chop smartly, and pit Washington against Suleiman. Then, depending on whoever wins, pit other AI's against the winner. I know I am running the risk of creating a monster, but really, how else am I gonna win anyway.

The start is just too much to my liking.

Replayed for a t-280 victory. Yay. This time 4 AI's were "running away," but rather equally, so none of them really dominated the entire map. Also timed and bulbed one big Golden Age to finish spaceship parts.

No more large maps for deity though. Not now.

hmmm usually AIs who have 30+ cities end up shooting themselves in the foot because of the tech penalty... that's weird... and Sully of all people...

hmmm usually AIs who have 30+ cities end up shooting themselves in the foot because of the tech penalty... that's weird... and Sully of all people...

In my experience, any AI that gets big enough will runaway like mad. Maybe not to the extent of Pre-BnW, but they will runaway nonetheless. And that's only on Immortal.

Yeah well the AI's usually have 30+ cities of population 15+, somehow getting insane amounts of happiness and all the science buildings -- which, I think, outweighs the 5% penalty in the long run.

Meanwhile, I have a dream of playing a large water map with Venice. It should hinder the AI expansion and warring a bit, while I will be swimming in gold. :rolleyes: Easy Deity win?

Humm, workshop T253 in Daegu, 19 pops, 2 fish without boat ?
Hydroplant in progress ?
Archers and warriors ?

I miss something. What did you build during this game ?

Humm, workshop T253 in Daegu, 19 pops, 2 fish without boat ?
Hydroplant in progress ?
Archers and warriors ?

I miss something. What did you build during this game ?
It was my first non-scenario Deity attempt, so I got overwhelmed by the AI, lost focus, and messed a bunch of stuff like chopping down certain forests and mis-using internal trade routes. Basically I had low production and hence slow building pace. Also, I bothered with religion shrines/temples which was a terrible idea with my start.

Anyway, this time I won at t-280 and managed my cities better. Still some archers, but the AI's are busy fighting each other, so I quietly won in my little corner. :p

No offense. I use too have CB or XB at end game. I wonder how you had built. Archers and warriors showed me, you didn't have war on your territory.

Top Bottom